Biggest let down of a signing?

The two scots we signed in 1999 - Simon Donnelly and the late Phil O'Donnell. Donnelly managed 53 appearances and 8 goals in his 4 years at Hillsborough and O'Donnell just 20 appearances in his 4 years. 

Both had some major injury problems and if I recall cost a fair bit of money at the time. 

Obviously nothing personal with these players, they were just unlucky and didn't really contribute enough. RIP O'Donnell. 

We've had some good uns over the years.

De Bilde would take the accolade in my time watching Wednesday.

I remember when we signed both him and Sibon - £5m spent between the pair, knowing that was our total transfer budget gone for the season.

After the first few games of seeing De Bilde play it was becoming apparent he just would not be able to cut it.

At least Sibon had occasional moments of brilliance but De Bilde, crikey.

The two scots we signed in 1999 - Simon Donnelly and the late Phil O'Donnell. Donnelly managed 53 appearances and 8 goals in his 4 years at Hillsborough and O'Donnell just 20 appearances in his 4 years.

Both had some major injury problems and if I recall cost a fair bit of money at the time.

Obviously nothing personal with these players, they were just unlucky and didn't really contribute enough. RIP O'Donnell.

They were both signed on Bosman free transfers, was quite a coup for us at the time but like with most Scotland based players they struggled in this country.

Biggest disappointment has to be De Bilde and Sibon as those signings had a part to play in our decline.

I remember we were linked with the likes of Dani, Huckerby, Hartson and Larsson around that time. Needless to say had we signed just one of those we could probably have stayed up that season

Edited by Southie_Owl

All relative to where we were at the time, the fees they cost.

The somewhat cult hero Andy Pearce replacing Pearson was dreadful bit of business.

In terms of fee the combined fees for Sibon and De Bilde must make them some of the worst business.

The Jeffers gamble backfired massively, felt for Laws on that on. Last throw of the dice really.

Jemson ... possibly the Slowest striker I've ever seen. People think Nuhiu has no pace. Sometimes I thought Jemson had genuinely taken route.

Bothroyd, though a loan I was hugely dissapointed with. Had seen plenty of him before and genuinely thought he'd do the business for us. Terrible, terrible let down. Maybe the worst.

Jemson was just coming good when he got smashed up in that car crash. Would have been a different story had that not happened.

Did he score against us for Oxford in the cup years ago ? Seem to recall a truly abject defeat under Wilson to them.