The world's most pointless podcast?

Had a dip into the album club because of this podcast, picked up a review of an Offspring album that described it as punk and closed the thread immediately in disgust. Never been close to being punk, they were always post punk, pop punk, indie punk or some other poppy variation of the genre, teeny boppers. I loved NOFX, Lit, Lagwaggon, Ataris etc in the day for what they were, simple fun pop laden filth that got a bit of air play and occasionally popped up on the Warped Tour etc. Totally misrepresented the genre that review, which was a shame because it was a decent album.

And for the record, Smash sold really well but is not the best selling independently released album, not even close. Think of all of the bands like Pearl Jam, the Eagles, Iron Maiden etc who own their own small label and have released huge albums on them. Hell, if we are talking success as an an independent release look no further than Killing is my Business the debut album by Megadeth. Dave Mustaine left Metallica, they and Megadeth then go toe to toe with Metallica using Mustaine assisted songs for their debut Kill Em All. Kill Em All was released on Megaforce (set up by Jon Zazula of the legendary Rock N Roll Heaven store, with the assistance of Metallica) who were independent but distributed by various other companies in the world, Killing is my Business was released by Combat who were totally independent and bust.

Metallica were riding a wave, Megadeth were not even a full band (they borrowed Kerry King from Slayer) and were tainted by the sacking of Mustaine from Metallica for substance abuse. Metallica released Four Horsemen on their album (penned by Mustaine) and he deliberately sped it up and made it harder to show Metallica up as less accomplished musicians when he added it as Mechanix on his album. Megadeth were given a budget of $8,000 to record and produce the album, spent half of that on drugs, sacked the producer and produced the album themselves. The label then lost the artwork to the album and released it with a plastic skull covered in tin foil without informing the band then did little promotion.

In contrast Metallica were given $15,000 and Paul Curcio to produce and were directed on artwork by the label to not use artwork that would diminish sales. They were then sent on a European tour (Seven Dates of Hell) to promote the album and shipped 60,000 copies as a result Worldwide (but just 15,000 in the US). The album almost bankrupt Jon Zazula who was forced to press 500 copies at a time and use other labels to distribute the album. This is despite the fact that Metallica were hugely popular by the time the album was released, having toured with Motley Crue, Saxon etc and Megadeth seriously up against it, yet Killing is my Business became one of the fastest selling, independently released albums ever and Kill Em All struggled in comparison, only hitting huge sales figures when Metallica hit the big time.

So yes, Metallica had the success, the continued worldwide fame and the adoration of billions of fans but they were shown up in their own backyard by the little upstart they sacked to begin with, because not only did Dave Mustaine earn credit for his own album but he took credits and royalties from Metallica themselves as both albums were co written by him! Not only that but Megadeth instantly were signed to big label Capitol for their next album Peace Sells, whereas Metallica went unsigned and were forced to release their next album, Ride the Lightening, on Megaforce, in 1984/5 with only 75,000 initial copies in the US, despite promotion via a European and US tour. This eventually reached 500,000 copies by 1987 when the band eventually hit the big time. In contrast Peace Sells shifted over 600,000 copies for Megadeth. The rest is history, Megadeth were eclipsed by Metallica but the road to 'victory' was not so easy.

That's a proper independent release story, not some little pop punk band selling out for radio airplay three albums in.

Edited by Guest

Does the author not understand paragraphs?

Sorry sir. Fixed it for you Mr Neil.

Nobody should listen to Offspring

Unless they were a teeny pop punk skater boi at the time.

Edited by Guest

So, out of nearly a year's worth of different album recommendations, multiple threads and thousands of posts you're not bothering with the album club in the music section because one single person in one post said that Offspring were 'punk'?

I know it is a pretty bad crime, but.. Come on.

Sorry sir. Fixed it for you Mr Neil.

Even those paragraphs are too big. Could you not just paraphrase?

So, out of nearly a year's worth of different album recommendations, multiple threads and thousands of posts you're not bothering with the album club in the music section because one single person in one post said that Offspring were 'punk'?

I know it is a pretty bad crime, but.. Come on.

I'm shallow as a puddle. You're right of course. Of course you are. But in my defence it was a terrible review. The Offsping. Jesus. This is why all these good, good matchday readers should listen to the podcast and seek out these hidden threads and contribute. So I have something worthwhile to read. DO IT PEOPLE. Do it.

Even those paragraphs are too big. Could you not just paraphrase?

Roy Walker. I liked him. Say what you see. I'm pretending that's what you meant there James. Go with me.

I'm shallow as a puddle. You're right of course. Of course you are. But in my defence it was a terrible review. The Offsping. Jesus. This is why all these good, good matchday readers should listen to the podcast and seek out these hidden threads and contribute. So I have something worthwhile to read. DO IT PEOPLE. Do it.

I don't want to derail this thread but are you on about a review or the opening post which has a little background about the artist/album in it?

If it's the latter then it's a bit of an OTT reaction gary megson I spend quite a bit of time per week researching about the album + band and I will no doubt pick up some wrong pieces of information. It's about the listening experience and the blurb/intro is there to supplement the rest of the week.

You're ok mate I think I already derailed the thread so I'll pm you instead. Rumour has it that emergency services are going to use this thread to practice responding to train wrecks. Sorry boys!

I was joshing Tas. I enjoyed it very much, especially learning about paragraphs but I'm still not sure about paraphrases.

And for the record, Smash sold really well but is not the best selling independently released album, not even close. Think of all of the bands like Pearl Jam, the Eagles, Iron Maiden etc who own their own small label and have released huge albums on them. Hell, if we are talking success as an an independent release look no further than Killing is my Business the debut album by Megadeth. Dave Mustaine left Metallica, they and Megadeth then go toe to toe with Metallica using Mustaine assisted songs for their debut Kill Em All. Kill Em All was released on Megaforce (set up by Jon Zazula of the legendary Rock N Roll Heaven store, with the assistance of Metallica) who were independent but distributed by various other companies in the world, Killing is my Business was released by Combat who were totally independent and bust.

Metallica were riding a wave, Megadeth were not even a full band (they borrowed Kerry King from Slayer) and were tainted by the sacking of Mustaine from Metallica for substance abuse. Metallica released Four Horsemen on their album (penned by Mustaine) and he deliberately sped it up and made it harder to show Metallica up as less accomplished musicians when he added it as Mechanix on his album. Megadeth were given a budget of $8,000 to record and produce the album, spent half of that on drugs, sacked the producer and produced the album themselves. The label then lost the artwork to the album and released it with a plastic skull covered in tin foil without informing the band then did little promotion.

In contrast Metallica were given $15,000 and Paul Curcio to produce and were directed on artwork by the label to not use artwork that would diminish sales. They were then sent on a European tour (Seven Dates of Hell) to promote the album and shipped 60,000 copies as a result Worldwide (but just 15,000 in the US). The album almost bankrupt Jon Zazula who was forced to press 500 copies at a time and use other labels to distribute the album. This is despite the fact that Metallica were hugely popular by the time the album was released, having toured with Motley Crue, Saxon etc and Megadeth seriously up against it, yet Killing is my Business became one of the fastest selling, independently released albums ever and Kill Em All struggled in comparison, only hitting huge sales figures when Metallica hit the big time.

So yes, Metallica had the success, the continued worldwide fame and the adoration of billions of fans but they were shown up in their own backyard by the little upstart they sacked to begin with, because not only did Dave Mustaine earn credit for his own album but he took credits and royalties from Metallica themselves as both albums were co written by him! Not only that but Megadeth instantly were signed to big label Capitol for their next album Peace Sells, whereas Metallica went unsigned and were forced to release their next album, Ride the Lightening, on Megaforce, in 1984/5 with only 75,000 initial copies in the US, despite promotion via a European and US tour. This eventually reached 500,000 copies by 1987 when the band eventually hit the big time. In contrast Peace Sells shifted over 600,000 copies for Megadeth. The rest is history, Megadeth were eclipsed by Metallica but the road to 'victory' was not so easy.

That's a proper independent release story, not some little pop punk band selling out for radio airplay three albums in.

Time to relax, dude.