Penalty or not so

thought it was nailed on last night

now im erring on the side that Lee went down too easily after watching the video back today

I have to admit that now I've seen it back he does seem to go down rather dramatically. From where I was sat in the Kop, it look nailed on and less 'theatrical'.

As a result, the ref needs to book him it he thought it wasn't a pen for 'simulation'. Again, no consistency from the officials.

Saying that, I'm still of the opinion that it was pen.

The one on Kieran Lee, yes. I thought he was already on his way down before he got to the defender, half looking for it as he knew he was going to catch the ball

On his way down before he got to the defender? Looking at the photo he must have then suspended himself in mid dive to wait for the defender's foot to arrive before completing his descent

Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the lack of a penalty decision for our failure to get the three points - we shouldn't have needed it. The photo is clear proof that it should have been a penalty. The video is hard to call one way or the other, which in fairness shows how difficult it is for the referee to get it right: the moving image provides no proof that Lee was tripped and no proof that he dived. I guess in that respect the referee did nothing wrong - he can only give what he sees. 

Imagine if the video and photo could have been reviewed straight after the incident - the correct decision could have been made and a penalty given. 

What about the offside from a goal kick? Although no consequences like a penalty decision, it's a pretty basic mistake for a professional official to make.

And near the end where there was a handball by a defender, and we ended up with a corner?

Oh, yeah - forgot about the offside from the goal kick. Brilliant officiating.

As an aside, I was still laughing from the replacement ref's inability to book Mackie after he followed Lee and Wallace to the corner flag to stop a quick short corner being taken. And then allowed him to stay there until the defence was back in position.

I thought that was terrible refereeing. Never seen that before where a player literally stopped a corner from being taken. Referee didn't even bother to talk to him. We had a 2 on 1 at that point. Should have been a certain Yellow.