Bye bye play offs

I'm still more than happy with our season so far.

To think we will just breeze past teams and not have a bad run every now and then is crazy.

We've quickly become a much improved team in the last 12 months but we aren't world beaters.

We still have room for improvement at our current level and the fact we sit fifth in the table at this stage of the season and look very good for a play-off place is unbelievable.

Finishing top two this season was never on even with our recent good run.

So as I was reliably informed last night by captain sl-owl-ly my opinions on last night's game were heavily influenced by the beer goggles, this is my opinion after copious amounts of water coupled with a banging headache.

I stand by my opinion that we were the better side and we should've won. I accused QPR of being a spawny side. Yes I was a bit disrespectful and I apologise for that. The point I was trying to make was on the night they were poor but with the players they have they shouldn't be and because of the quality they still possess we still couldn't put them away when we perhaps should've done. Personally despite the rest of their season having a touch of the grand old duke of york's, they will take points off teams between now and the end of the season and last night's point might yet prove to be a vital one in the grand scheme of things?

I also got a telling off from the good old captain for saying some of our promotion rivals are one trick ponies. If the tricks a good one then I suppose it doesn't matter if it gets the job done. The point I was trying to make is we've got a lot more variety in our play compared to say Burnley and Preston and we can still step up one or two gears IMO.

As things stand we're in a decent position which I'm sure most of us would've taken at the start of the campaign. There will be some twists and turns before the season ends and hopefully we can stand firm and finish in the play-off places starting with getting a good result at Hull on Friday.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

So as I was reliably informed last night by captain sl-owl-ly my opinions on last night's game were heavily influenced by the beer goggles, this is my opinion after copious amounts of water coupled with a banging headache.

I stand by my opinion that we were the better side and we should've won. I accused QPR of being a spawny side. Yes I was a bit disrespectful and I apologise for that. The point I was trying to make was on the night they were poor but with the players they have they shouldn't be and because of the quality they still possess we still couldn't put them away when we perhaps should've done. Personally despite the rest of their season having a touch of the grand old duke of york's, they will take points off teams between now and the end of the season and last night's point might yet prove to be a vital one in the grand scheme of things?

I also got a telling off from the good old captain for saying some of our promotion rivals are one trick ponies. If the tricks a good one then I suppose it doesn't matter if it gets the job done. The point I was trying to make is we've got a lot more variety in our play compared to say Burnley and Preston and we can still step up one or two gears IMO.

As things stand we're in a decent position which I'm sure most of us would've taken at the start of the campaign. There will be some twists and turns before the season ends and hopefully we can stand firm and finish in the play-off places starting with getting a good result at Hull on Friday.

That's interesting, that you say that we have a lot more variety in our play. I agree, we have quality and invention all over the park, and are capable of looking a very good football team. If we lack something compared to the top four, it's perhaps a decent spine. The three key areas I would strengthen next season would be, bring in a dominant left sided centre back, a more physically imposing midfield ball winner (Melo?) and a more mobile leader of the line, to play alongside Hooper or Forestieri

That's interesting, that you say that we have a lot more variety in our play. I agree, we have quality and invention all over the park, and are capable of looking a very good football team. If we lack something compared to the top four, it's perhaps a decent spine. The three key areas I would strengthen next season would be, bring in a dominant left sided centre back, a more physically imposing midfield ball winner (Melo?) and a more mobile leader of the line, to play alongside Hooper or Forestieri

I wouldn't argue with you that much about the spine. I can see us still using Loovens a lot next season as Lees is very comfortable and assured alongside him.

Hutchinson is the main man for me in midfield but it's like stepping into the unknown as to how many games he'll be available for. That said he's played a lot more games this season than I expected him to but I wouldn't be surprised to see a new signing in this area in the summer.

As for the big mobile striker, I wouldn't write Joao off yet. I think after a season in English football he'll be a far more effective player next season.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

I wouldn't argue with you that much about the spine. I can see us still using Loovens a lot next season as Lees is very comfortable and assured alongside him.

Hutchinson is the main man for me in midfield but it's like stepping into the unknown as to how many games he'll be available for. That said he's played a lot more games this season than I expected him to but I wouldn't be surprised to see a new signing in this area in the summer.

As for the big mobile striker, I wouldn't write Joao off yet. I think after a season in English football he'll be a far more effective player next season.

It's was just an observation on how we might improve next season. I've been delighted by how things have turned out this season, and the whole set up down at Hillsborough, has far exceeded my expectations. If we don't make promotion this year, and we still have a chance, then I'd like to see us stiffen the spine of the side. We may indeed, already have the answers here. The centre back pairing of Lees and Loovens, is the best pairing we've had for years. Another option to compete with Loovens would be useful, but again, Turner, free from injury, could be the man. Ditto Melo, as a midfield enforcer. Sure wouldn't write Joao off, as I believe he will be the long term answer to finding the right partner for Hooper or Forestieri. He's taken a while to settle, as Carlos said he would, but he's a young lad with a bright future, and could provide us with that pace and power we sometimes lack. So yes, that improvement could come from within

I know it's horrible stuff but that water really does work wonders ! lol

For what it's worth (and I know it's not much), I totally agree with your last paragraph (and most of the rest of your post)..

WAWAW

UTO

FTB

A win at Hull on Friday, while realistically it wouldn't convince me that we could get an automatic, it would strengthen the belief that, were we to get to the play offs, we would be capable of winning them

Edited by gurujuan

Guest owl from retford

Hull it's,going to be difficult no doubt a point would be a good result but should be looking at 6 points from next two home games at least

Can you imagine the brain dead clowns on here if we get beaten at Hull.

The total and utter sh!te posted on here beggars belief at times. Unfortunately some sad losers thrive on failure.

Play offs well within our grasp and at the start of the season we would have all regarded that as a big step forward and a successful season.

If we manage to win the play offs it would be an unexpected bonus.