Carlos & home atmosphere.

If you price grass root fans out and replace them with the  middle classes then you will lose the atmosphere. Football should belong to the working man, not the prawn sandwich brigade.

i started a post the other day about 'pricing'...

the jist of it was 'knocking' a couple of quid off the kop, and puttin' a quid ON the rest to cover it...

IF that started to make the kop more 'popular' to the point of filling it...

then we'd maybe have a 'better atmosphere'...

Atmosphere is terrible.

It was like a library last week.

The ground is just too big for us at the moment.

If it was a 25,000 capacity ground with safe standing area it would be electric

IF, IF, IF...

we're light years away from 'safe standing'...

and why would the club spend on making 'safe standing' when it would likely lead to people wanting to pay less to enter...

and people who are sittin' on the north and kop presently paying the 'given rate' wanting to stand for less...

Ah the good old British class war thing!!

Can't honestly say i've seen much evidence of the 'Prawn sandwich brigade' so far on the Kop.

The experts on here are always slating the atmosphere on the Kop ( don't agree by the way), so not sure how the 'middle classes' when they represent a tiny percentage, are to blame for the lack of atmosphere.

Nothing like perpetuating long held myths though eh?

our home crowd is split around the ground...

a 'number' of fans appear to be 'priced' out at present...

the kop has 'families in for a price' on it...

there's likely other things too, but...

start to add them together, and you end up with a 'poor' home atmosphere...

i keep hearin' people saying "it's ok", it's not...

"it used to be this, that of the other", it rarely did...

we keep going back to kaiserslautern and wycombe...

we can't call a one off crowd our 'potential', as they only turn out for the 'very rare' event...

half of them are 'likely' to be at bellend road, or t'lane if they were on the 'cusp' of the prem...

they 'perhaps' were once wednesday fans, but now havin' got outa the 'habbit' they're just 'bandwagon' jumpers...

Diluted support at home. Apart from the back of the kop and West end of the North, for everyone trying to make a noise, there's many more that won't join in.

I will happily stand up all game and sing, but nobody else in the middle of the North will, so have to sit down to be considerate.

Not going to sacrifice the best view to move down to block T to join in abusing the 300 away fans that normally turn up.

Make one of the blocks in the middle of the North an official singing section and I'd move my ST to it.

Otherwise we just need to wait till the matches are bigger. Arsenal at home was good...

the 'bandwagon' jumpers were in...

people get older  just saying like ,the ones from the 60/70's might be a bit long in the tooth for all the bouncing and singing and just want to watch the football .could be a reason 

a mate said to me a few years ago on't norf "look at the age of our support"...

as i looked around he added "half of them are ready to kick the bucket"...

i'm not sure if it's 'general' in football. or a more sheffield wednesday thing...

maybe the older end have more 'expendable' income...

play sports less themselves, so have more time...

we're ONE SEASON into the 'DC experiment', if we give it time, and it 'flourishes' (next season will be better) finally into the premier, then we'll increase our attendances year on year, after all where's the nearest 'premier' footy to us??? 

..it's called almost 20 years of neglect...it will take time...but if we continue developing it will return. However these are different times and maybe offering a 'pre-match' experience on the concourses will have a much great effect on the pre-match atmosphere pitch-side...once in the seats though, there is even chance the atmosphere will get better and better as we do... erm...hopefully... lol 

I have never read so much BULLSHIT in my life as has been spread on this topic.

What is it that dnhc obviously has against someone who, in his opinion, has 'got a bit of money' and therefore should pay for him.

I go on the South regularly, as I have since seating was introduced, for several reasons. . It's relatively comfortable and has got facilities which appeal to me. I have watched Wednesday for 65+ years. I have had to travel from Hoyland, Clowne and now Buxton. I have watched Wednesday through thick and thin. I don't go away now because of my health, but follow their progress on the net.

I am what dnhc and many others like him consider one of the 'Prawn Sandwich Brigade'.I cannot stand for long periods, because my knees are finally giving way, due in no small way to some thirty odd years spent crawling up and down in three foot high coal seams, no propping p some bar somewhere, like many. I have had my share of 6 pints a day regularly, and enjoyed it. Any money I have has been worked for or saved. I'm prepared to sit in comfort, AND PAY FOR IT, but I'm damned if I should be asked to pay for anyone else.

As for the atmosphere in the ground, how many have considered that it is not just the Kop that makes he noise. In fact this season the noise from the Kop, with its large empty spaces, has seemed relatively quiet. I have heard noise from the North, I have helped to make noise from the South, and last Saturday, after being invited to accompany a young fellow, a friend, to Lunch in the Ron Springett Suite, followed by a new experience - a seat in the Grandstand. To my astonishment, I was amazed at the amount of noise made there, something I had not heard from my seat a few rows forward in the South. I even heard some noise coming from Brentford fans in the Lep. The acoustics at Hillsborough are peculiar, but I can assure people that noise is being made all around the ground.

End of Rant

Maybe we could get some fancy graphics on the scoreboard that prompts us to sing.

So one could just say "Make some noise now please" and then we all make some noise.

Or they could actually tell us what song to sing so they could say "Sing Carlos had a dream" and then a big countdown starts going from 10 down to 1 and then we all sing in time as one.

I have never read so much BULLSHIT in my life as has been spread on this topic.

What is it that dnhc obviously has against someone who, in his opinion, has 'got a bit of money' and therefore should pay for him.

I go on the South regularly, as I have since seating was introduced, for several reasons. . It's relatively comfortable and has got facilities which appeal to me. I have watched Wednesday for 65+ years. I have had to travel from Hoyland, Clowne and now Buxton. I have watched Wednesday through thick and thin. I don't go away now because of my health, but follow their progress on the net.

I am what dnhc and many others like him consider one of the 'Prawn Sandwich Brigade'.I cannot stand for long periods, because my knees are finally giving way, due in no small way to some thirty odd years spent crawling up and down in three foot high coal seams, no propping p some bar somewhere, like many. I have had my share of 6 pints a day regularly, and enjoyed it. Any money I have has been worked for or saved. I'm prepared to sit in comfort, AND PAY FOR IT, but I'm damned if I should be asked to pay for anyone else.

As for the atmosphere in the ground, how many have considered that it is not just the Kop that makes he noise. In fact this season the noise from the Kop, with its large empty spaces, has seemed relatively quiet. I have heard noise from the North, I have helped to make noise from the South, and last Saturday, after being invited to accompany a young fellow, a friend, to Lunch in the Ron Springett Suite, followed by a new experience - a seat in the Grandstand. To my astonishment, I was amazed at the amount of noise made there, something I had not heard from my seat a few rows forward in the South. I even heard some noise coming from Brentford fans in the Lep. The acoustics at Hillsborough are peculiar, but I can assure people that noise is being made all around the ground.

End of Rant

let me help you through the BULLSHIT here pal...

I WASN'T ADVOCATING MYSELF GOING ON THE KOP, I'D HAVE STAYED ON THE NORTH AND PAID MORE...

as for me "having something against someone with a bit of money" you want to be FAR MORE CAREFUL BEFORE YOU OPEN IT...

i'm far from 'SHORT' of it myself...

Nothing to do with empty seats or 'middle class'. Its whether people can be bothered to sing.

I went to Sporting Lisbon vs Bayer Leverkusen yesterday and was half full. Atmosphere was great.

Leverkusen sang there version of Ole Ole. They had a drum and it sounded immense. One drum, no trumpets. And the drummer could actually play in time with added rockstar drumming to create an atmosphere where you want to jump up and down. 

Sporting had different ways to get the crowd going. One side of the ground would shout to the other. The other side would respond and it was electric. Whoever fades out first loses. It was amazing and hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I also remember Southampton doing something similar to drown out the awayfans.

We really need to do something like this. It will hopefully get all three stands on the same wave length.

Never been to a half empty stadium where the atmosphere was that good. 

People used to gather on the Kop to sing. In my opinion since the trend of getting near away fans started its never been great. A small group sing on the Kop, a small group in the North. SYNERGY people!!!!

Anyway I'm 37 and passed caring about who's fans are loudest. I just want to watch a game and if I get excited I may bellow our an occasional chorus. Young uns need to sort our atmosphere.

The price differential between the kop and the other stands has shrunk, bring it back, make poor view seats cheap and definitely available potg, we need people in the pubs at 14:30 deciding to go to the match.

Poor view potg Kop tickets need to be approximately the cost of 5 pints of beer this was the rough price they were when I was on the kop.

I think this is a great idea tbh.

Make an entire W1 block on the kop only available for ST holders, or POTG.

No advance match day sale until all the other areas are sold out.

Make it £15 a ticket with a dedicated turnstile for this area.

Groups can all turn up and get a ticket near each other since they are sold in the order they walk through the turnstile, so doesn't matter how many decide at the last minute to all go.

It'll encourage people to get there earlier and have a drink or 2 in the ground (so they spend just as much anyway) to guarantee a space. I'm sure it would prove hugely popular and sell out.

Once it's sold out, sell the block to the right as you look at the pitch at the normal Kop price (which should never be more than £25). Once people are at the ground they'll pay that, and just remember to turn up earlier next time for the cheaper tickets.

I remember the early 90s chant that went somet like, dur du der der du der der, der du der dur der der der Wednesday went on for up to 20 mins a time by old and young banging feet on floor. Even back of south stand rocked. I'd like this to come back.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

if they made beer really cheap you'd increase the singing. I know personally that I generally only sing when I am very drunk. 

Agree with Modboy.

It will improve with time. Success breeds success and enthusiasm is contagious.

I do happen to think the 'lack of atmosphere' thing is overstated anyway.

When games start to really matter, like they did at the conclusion of the promotion season, the atmosphere will automatically go through the roof.

We don't need any tin pot short term fixes ala Palaaaarce, we are a proper club with proper supporters and don't need some marketing mans idea of what a crowd should look & sound like.

I don't agree that the crowd noise should be constant all the time through the game either, it just turns into a premeditated drone.

Much better to have periods of relative quiet which then accentuate the genuine proper spontaneous chants & noise.

Typical example when the old scoreboard did the schhh thing, pigs score comes on, we score and the crowd go mental, and we did the bounce thing for about 10 mins.

The plastics at palaaarce could only dream about genuine atmosphere like that.

Edited by bigthinrob

The people at the club who matter have never shown any interest in getting the atmos going...b4 selling season tickets they could have had a designated noisy area..but yet again its too late now

Not really. Anyone wanting to move into it or out of it could move their ST and pay or get refunded the difference.