The pitch

Steering group:

The pitch is exactly where the club expected it to be at this point and the groundstaff are in constant communication with Desso about it. The problem with the lighting to help the grass grow ISN’T to do with the purchase of lighting, it’s to do with the power supply to the lights currently. Again, this is something that the club are actively seeking to sort as soon as possible.

Its really got nothing to do with Desso, I am sure their portion of the pitch, ie the plastic green bits are fine!! The problem is with the seeding and bedding in of that grass. We replaced the whole surface including most of the soil, then we played on it too early because we had no choice and now the winter has been awful rain wise. We need more growing lamps and it needs a full summer of growth to be set for a full season.

Exactly that, also agree thought it played ok again

Edited by Ash76

What did people expect, a bowling green after 3-4 weeks, with little sunlight and much rain? The sight from half way p the South shows a much better sight than on the replays. I also noticed other clubs had strips of brown, looking much worse than ours.

Don't forget that, less than three months ago,it had,in a matter of 6 weeks ,been lifted, drainage and heating relaid, levelled, Desso fitted and been reseeded. I well remember that the new Wembley had to be re-grassed after cutting up chronically DURING THE FIRST GAME.

Its really got nothing to do with Desso, I am sure their portion of the pitch, ie the plastic green bits are fine!!  The problem is with the seeding and bedding in of that grass.  We replaced the whole surface including most of the soil, then we played on it too early because we had no choice and now the winter has been awful rain wise.  We need more growing lamps and it needs a full summer of growth to be set for a full season.

This^^^

This has been the wettest winter on record I believe. The pitch will be fine next season no doubt about it. The money is an investment and it will pay off. If the desso hadn't been installed could imagine what the pitch would have looked like this winter! 

Looks fine from the kop but on the highlights it looks bare. However it seems to be playing ok which is the main thing, a few bobbles but nothing on the scale of last year where we were forced to go long all the time, we are still able to pass the ball around.

I just don't want it to become an excuse to everyone as Iv seen Hutchinson already saying it's not very good and hard to play on.

But the main reason it's looking like it is, is because (as some have already said) we need to upgrade the power supply to Hillsborough and buy more lighting rigs, which hopefully will be done during the summer. Next season should look a lot better all season.

Honestly sitting in the north I don't think it looks that bad.

I sit in the North and it looks pretty bad to me.

But I don't care how it looks really, more that its disrupting our play by bobbling every time a pass is played along the ground

Edited by robswfc

It only looks rubbish on replays - perhaps its the camera that needs a new lens

Part of it is perhaps the reflection from the lights and how it shows. Be like someone's bald patch on a picture, perhaps Sam 779 can tell us his experience

The crux is it ain't as bad as last seasons pitch and should be better next season - but this transition stage the position is a little below the standard you would have hoped for after the investment

Edited by mkowl

Guest Kameron

I don't understand the power upgrade comments.Transformers are used every day in construction and can be fitted temporary or permenant, a call to the right company would resolve this in a matter of hours.  Mobile lighting rigs can also run from diesel powered generators.

Steering group:

The pitch is exactly where the club expected it to be at this point and the groundstaff are in constant communication with Desso about it. The problem with the lighting to help the grass grow ISN’T to do with the purchase of lighting, it’s to do with the power supply to the lights currently. Again, this is something that the club are actively seeking to sort as soon as possible.

I'm not being critical here but you could be forgiven for thinking that that someone might have dropped a knacker, in that surely someone at the club would have known that the supply to the lights would need upgrading months ago & that the current supply to the lights would be insufficient?

I'd be bloody well annoyed if I'd shelled out a million quid to get it it tip top condition including brand new drainage, only to find out that the power supply to the lights was knackered, or in need of an upgrade. ?