The Owls vs Burnley. Official Matchday Thread.

GI5PzZy.png

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Lancashire in the 1800’s was  grim place. While the invention and spread of the cotton loom brought prosperity for their owners, those who worked the machines, often children, were paid a pittance.

Children were employed due to their small size and ability to thread all the needles by hand. Adults would carry the heavy bales of cotton to the machines. They also carried stout sticks, which were used to beat any child who had the misfortune to fall asleep on the job or get entangled in the loom’s wheels, tappets and heddles.

PMedfiM.png

Then the steam engine came. The kids were no longer needed to peddle the looms. A single engine could power up to 12 looms and Edward Cartwright had invented the automatic threader. It got worse - Howard Bullough invented the conveyor belt, putting the adults out of work too.

Bored and hungry, the former workers also noticed that their legs were rapidly becoming weaker. It was Harry Bradshaw who came up with the idea of forming a clog dancing team. The heavy wooden protective work shoes with iron segs would provide the much needed exercise and the loud sound they made was an ideal replacement for the musical instuments that they could ill afford. Extra percussion was provided by the child beating sticks, which they had cleverly forgotten to give back to the mill owners.

st3T2fH.jpg

In 1853, Burnley Rovers, also known as the “Cloggies” were born. With their energetic stamping dance, it wasn’t long before they all had strapping thighs again, toured the country and managed to earn a considerable amount of money. The sight of all that cash generated lots of interest and more and more new dancers arrived. Soon, Bradshaw was sending several teams of Cloggies out every week.

A8VDAiL.jpg

But it was Bill Kenworthy, casting an envious eye across the Pennines at Sheffield, who brought the new sport of football to Bradshaw’s attention. In 1882, a team was duly formed. The name was shortened to Burnley. They wore claret coloured shirts after Bradshaws favourite tipple.

Burnley were notorious, playing in their clogs made them slower than the opponents, but it also meant that a tackle could have terrible consequences for the man on the receiving end. One early game against Preston Waterworks was abandoned after 6 opposites were stretchered off before the end of the first half.

And that’s how we come to be playing them today.

THE SERIOUS BIT

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield.
Kick Off: Tuesday, 2nd of January at 19:45

Matchday Apparel: Home shirt. Woolly hats and scarves.

Matchday Drink: Probobobarbly beer.

Matchday Pie: Steak and Kidney.

Matchday Song: Slow Train Coming by Bob Dylan...

Today’s Matchday song is a special request from our fellow Owlstalker and dear friend, nevthelodgemoorowl

MATCHDAY FACTS

Wednesday's new loan signing Aiden McGeady joined the club on Monday and will be included in the squad. Goalkeeper Keiren Westwood, defenders Glenn Loovens, Daniel Pudil and midfielders Barry Bannan and Sam Hutchinson are all available.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche has no new major injury or suspension concerns. Midfielder Joey Barton and defender Matthew Lowton could return to the starting line-up after being rested in Saturday's FA Cup defeat at Arsenal.

NDL2Et4.png Head to Head FwPOWKw.png

â–ª Sheffield Wednesday have won only one of their last eight games at Hillsborough against Burnley (D2 L5).

â–ª Burnley have scored in their last 11 league matches against the Owls.

â–ª Wednesday have not lost in the Championship at home since the end of August, going 11 unbeaten (W8 D3).

â–ª Burnley are looking to win four successive league games for the first time since September, a run which included a victory over the Owls.

â–ª Both Wednesday and Burnley have taken 13 points from their last six Championship games (both W4 D1 L1). Only Hull (15) and Birmingham (14) have claimed more in that time.

â–ª The Clarets have netted 20 goals in their last seven league games, scoring three or more goals in five of those matches.

Du7JEJz.png

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

Carlos says the Owls’ latest recruit Aiden McGeady will improve the team with his qualities and experience. The head coach has long been an admirer of the winger, whom he tried to sign while in the hotseat at Sporting Lisbon. Having completed the capture of the Everton man on loan until the end of the current campaign, Carlos said:

“I’m very happy because first of all, we only want to bring in players if they can improve the team. He is a player that adds extra quality and a player I know very, very well because when he played at Celtic, I was coach of Sporting and I tried to bring him to the club but it was not possible at that moment. I am happy because he is a player that can improve the team and he will help us in the second part of the season, absolutely sure.

2NI4uGr.jpg

He’s played in different cultures, he understand different systems and different ways to play. He has a big personal challenge because he wants to be at the Euros with his national team and to us, this kind of player is important because they are hungry to play. He brings quality to us, he can play on the left, the right or behind the striker.”

MINTYNESS

1000%

6Djzzr6.gif

Wow Id forgotten all about OMDT with Deadline Day.

Wonderful stuff as always Pauli. You must put hours into these threads.

In gratitude to your fine efforts its a two nil with a brace of right time right place tap ins from super Hooper. Might get his first header for us tonight. Hes been getting in front of defenders for crosses recently.

Guest minsk owl

brilliant as always

missed one off that list though ........  06.05.67    Sheffield Wednesday  7 - 0  Burnley

suppose that's a bit much to hope for, ........... going for 3-1 , Hooper 2 and Forestieri back on the goal trail 

post-38035-0-19100300-1454372151_thumb.j

I forgot to put my prediction on. 

We still have to give someone a thrashing this season and Burnley deserve it.

6 - 0 for us including an astonishing McGugan free kick from the car park at Aldi in Stocksbridge that just squeezes past their keeper. Oooooooh!

:manager:  :manager:  :manager:

My dad used to fix them looms

He didn't wear clogs though.

He's from Blackburn not Burnley.

He's not in any of those photos either.

Good level of mintiness but...........................

gonna be a tough match.....heart says 2-1 for us but I dunno Burnley have some good players and looked pretty decent against Arsenal in the Cup

Great work on the thread.

If I was CC, I'd be looking at this lineup (assuming Lees is unavailable:

Westwood

Hunt

Loovens

Sasso

PudilWe’re really sorry but you're missing:

- 1 x Jacob's Biscuits For Cheese

- 1 x Adidas Deep Energy

- 1 x Galaxy Milk Chocolate

- 1 x Little Rolo Giant Tube

We’ve had to make some substitutions, sorry about that.

- 2 x Pedigree Schmackos Chicken with

- 2 x Pedigree Schmackos Multi

- 2 x Persil Apple Fizz Washing Up Liquid with

- 2 x Morrisons Apple Washing Up Liquid

- 1 x Jacob's Mini Cheddars Drum with

- 1 x Mini Cheddars Original Flavour Snacks Multipack

Hutchinson

Bannan

Wallace

Foresteiri

McGeady

Hooper

Guest minsk owl

I forgot to put my prediction on. 

We still have to give someone a thrashing this season and Burnley deserve it.

6 - 0 for us including an astonishing McGugan free kick from the car park at Aldi in Stocksbridge that just squeezes past their keeper. Oooooooh!

:manager:  :manager:  :manager:

'kin hell ,  how long have Stocksbridge had Aldi ?   :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Cheers Pauli. Brilliant as always. 6-0 could be pushing it. I'd be absolutely thrilled with a 1 goal win. No doubt this is going to be a proper test for us and a win would be amazing. Given their recent scoring record and our recent defending record we're unlikely to keep them out for 90 mins, so will rely on us outscoring them a la Brasil (1970's that is, not 2014 vs Germany).

Afternoon all. Hope you're enjoying the Iowa Caucuses like me. Thrilling stuff. Straight from deadline day into that...there's only so much excitement one man can take.

We have the power of Tay Tay and crutch bombs and cannot lose. We are looming like a gathering storm, cry havoc and let slip the GSL!! and may God have mercy on the souls of Burnley...because we sure as hell won't.