Attendance v Burnley

Although that article is a perfect example of not letting facts get in the way of a good headline, on the pricing point, it seems they are doing something about it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35494796

With lower prices this year, we would be getting slightly higher gates.

The plan is surely to address the point of the elastic support you've highlighted longer term than just 1 year - relying on making huge improvements year on year to keep the fans coming isn't sustainable!

The strategy has got to be to sell more ST's, and have a very high retention rate, so in years to come we maintain a high average every year, and get consistently higher gates through the whole season rather than 38k one week and 18k the next.

I don't disagree the execution and way the plan has been delivered has been pretty diabolical, covered extensively already, and I don't think the way they have released the ST's for next year and beyond has been thought through or well planned at all either.

If ST's aren't significantly up for next season, the club will have failed entirely and as I said before, have to go back to the drawing board.

Also, saying things like whether the Pigs are in the same league as us, how many of our home games are televised, how many of our home games are at the weekend compared to mid-week, whether the higher attended fixtures like 1st, last, boxing day are home or away, whether we have a good home draw in the cup or not that creates an extra game that people go to instead of a league game, are "inconsequential balls" is just being simple.

If you set the prices reasonably, more people will feel inclined to sample what's on offer more than they have and are then more inclined to think about investment in a ST.

If the habit is set to attend the occasional game or less games than last season or previous seasons, then it's harder to win those people over.

Although that article is a perfect example of not letting facts get in the way of a good headline, on the pricing point, it seems they are doing something about it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35494796

With lower prices this year, we would be getting slightly higher gates.

The plan is surely to address the point of the elastic support you've highlighted longer term than just 1 year - relying on making huge improvements year on year to keep the fans coming isn't sustainable!

The strategy has got to be to sell more ST's, and have a very high retention rate, so in years to come we maintain a high average every year, and get consistently higher gates through the whole season rather than 38k one week and 18k the next.

I don't disagree the execution and way the plan has been delivered has been pretty diabolical, covered extensively already, and I don't think the way they have released the ST's for next year and beyond has been thought through or well planned at all either.

If ST's aren't significantly up for next season, the club will have failed entirely and as I said before, have to go back to the drawing board.

Also, saying things like whether the Pigs are in the same league as us, how many of our home games are televised, how many of our home games are at the weekend compared to mid-week, whether the higher attended fixtures like 1st, last, boxing day are home or away, whether we have a good home draw in the cup or not that creates an extra game that people go to instead of a league game, are "inconsequential balls" is just being simple.

Surely with lower prices we would be getting at least 24,000?

I agree about season ticket sales. However, is the best way to get them to buy a season ticket to make matchday prices so high that they only turn up to a few games? I don't know, genuinely not sure. However, converting somebody from a few matches seems a bigger leap than converting somebody who goes to 15 matches to buy a season ticket. Personally, even though the decided upon strategy is a little unpalatable, I think it would have worked if executed properly.

As for your last point, I stand by it. The only two seasons we have averaged over 24,000 since we were relegated from the PL coincided with the Pigs being in a different division. This season our first match and Boxing Day were at home so I don't get your point. The amount of midweek matches is roughly the same every season. As for the cup run, we have had only the Arsenal match of any consequence. This will have a negligible effect on a 23 match average. So everything apart from price and delivery, for this season, is inconsequential balls.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

The last point wasn't drawing any conclusions about this season specifically, just stating that all those things do make a difference.

If we had been away boxing day and first game of the season, then if previous trends were followed, the average this season would be down at this point.

But similarly if we hadn't been on TV for the Leeds and Hull games, it would be up.

The last point wasn't drawing any conclusions about this season specifically, just stating that all those things do make a difference.

If we had been away boxing day and first game of the season, then if previous trends were followed, the average this season would be down at this point.

But similarly if we hadn't been on TV for the Leeds and Hull games, it would be up.

Evens out then?

The odd match like that doesn't make much difference to a 23 match season. After looking at the seasons we have averaged 24+, regularly getting 24,25,26 is the key.