The Owls vs Bolton. Official Matchday Thread.

wzFDpXW.png

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Bolton was at the heart of the industrial revolution in the 18th Century. Local businessman Samuel Crompton invented the Spinning Mule, an improvement over the already revolutionary Spinning Jenny. The problem with the Spinning Jenny was that Jenny, also known as Mrs Eckerslike and a well known music hall act in her day, was prone to dizzyness and kept falling over on a regular basis, even when sober.

The Spinning Mule, which was misnamed as it originally used pedigree donkeys, replaced Mrs Eckerslike with a more sustainable resource as they were easily bred. However, the donkeys were reluctant to keep spinning of their own accord, preferring to stop every couple of minutes to graze. To overcome this, Crompton devised a large turntable on which the donkey could stand while munching on a bale of hay conveniently placed in front of it. The turntable was then spun using a team of local labourers. This was an incredible development – a spinning mule or donkey that did not have to spin itself.

MrZlOOu.jpg

Since England at the time had a shortage of Jennys but a plentiful supply of donkeys, the idea caught on very quickly and before long the entire north west of England was saturated with equine animals on turntables. There were major flaws in the design however. Firstly, a mule or donkey eating hay on a rapidly spinning turntable and doing what mules or donkeys do naturally when the hay reaches the other end resulted in a great deal of splatter and spoilage to the clothing of the labourers spinning the turntable.

Secondly, no-one ever worked out how you could produce anything other than dirty laundry from the invention. As a side effect, this triggered a vast expansion of the soap trade that eventually resulted in the foundation of the multinational company, Unilever. By 1784, just five years after it was invented, the Spinning Mule was superceded by the power loom and Crompton went into the manure trade.

Crompton made a small fortune at that though and managed to persuade the local banker Phileas Gartside to lend him 170 million pounds. Together with the local vicar, Joseph Farrall Wright and a school headmaster called Thomas Ogden, Crompton went on to form t’ Wanderers football team. Gartside never saw his money again and that’s how we come to be playing them today.

FUN FACTS

Bolton’s six man strong hoolie firm are called the Cuckoo Boys for some unfathomable reason.

Their leadership was recently taken over by ex convict, Gareth “Punchy” Madine who was once a promising footballer, but threw it all away. He is now famous for walking around Bolton’s pubs with a cuckoo on each shoulder and asking people if they are looking at him, then hitting them even if they say no.

THE SERIOUS BIT

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield.
Kick Off: Tuesday, 12th of January at 19:45.

Matchday Apparel: Blue and white striped raincoats

Matchday Drink: We hope it’s beer, it’s beer.

Matchday Pie: Early Bird, or otter noses in aspic.

Matchday Song: Rebel Rebel by David Bowie…

MATCHDAY FACTS

Wednesday striker Fernando Forestieri faces a late test on a muscle strain, as does keeper Kieren Westwood. Joe Wildsmith stands by to cover Westwood. On-loan striker Gary Hooper may play, despite being only a few days away from returning to parent club Norwich City.

Bolton boss Neil Lennon expects Mark Davies and Zach Clough to be missing as the pair are set to join other clubs. Emile “the  mouse” Heskey and Princess - Desireé Gouano, who has picked up a knock, are expected to be unavailable.

NDL2Et4.png Head to Head fB1cuNB.png

• The Owls have recorded just one win from their past 10 league meetings with the Trotters (D3 L6).

• Bolton have won their past four games versus Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. Although those were the only wins in their previous 28 trips to Hillsborough.

• Sheffield Wednesday have gone nine games a without defeat on home soil, winning six.

• Fernando Forestieri has scored four league goals in his past four appearances.

• The Trotters have won just three points on the road this season, a league-low total.

• Bolton have the worst shot conversion rate in the Championship in 2015-16 (7.7%).

gwVSLfo.png

My prediction: A severe tonking for Bolton with goals from all over the pitch. Also, McGugan to hit the bar with a 500 yard screamer from the top end of Fielding road in the 94th minute. 36 - 0 to us. Ooooooohhhh!!!

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

“We are in a good way and to follow on in that good way, all of us – me, the players, the staff and the fans must do the maximum on Tuesday. If our fans can be at their maximum to support the team, we will be stronger absolutely sure. I hope our fans will be ready. We need their support because it will be a tough game – I hope everybody understands this message.”

BjMEN8Z.jpg

“This is the challenge to our fans – because I know that the fans love the club – I must tell them that it will be a very tough game. There are no easy games in the Championship. Bolton have some quality players and they will do the best they can do and make it a tough game to us. Our group will be ready, we are ready because we know the difficulties we’ll have and we will be with full energy to the game.”

MINTYNESS

Dh05yRs.gif

Superb as ever Pauli, a very good morning to you all. We've had years of frustrating games against this lot (Sidibe's winner on boxing day aside) so let's put that all to bed and give them a good tonking. That said I wouldn't mind if certain players were given a rest, you'd like to think we can trust our squad to beat the bottom side at home and I'm absolutely desperate to beat the scum on Saturday.

Wednesday 3-0 Bolton

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Guest minsk owl

170 million pounds  :biggrin: ))))))))))))

anything less than 5 -0 , ....... just won't do

another brace for the man,  2 from Dave,  and McGugan from anywhere ( including Fielding Road , or a looping shot over the river from Winster )

post-38035-0-23128700-1452557795_thumb.j

Loveliest OMDT ever.

Lovely.

Well done pauli...!

Lovely song.

Very, very lovely Tay Tay just oozing mintyness.

Struggling to get and really hopeful of a good performance.

That would be lovely too.

6-1 with Dave having a perfect hat-trick of one off the back of his head, a blasted penalty and one off his arrse.

Madine to chip in with a consolation mid-second half after spending most off the game on his backside.

Otters in Aspic.

Nom, Nom.

C'MON LADS...!

UTO

Edited by 33

Last time I predicted Nuhiu to get a double hattrick and he repayed me with one sixth of that amount. Therefore I'm going to say he'll score 12 today and hopefully he'll bag a brace

3-0 to The Wednesday, Nuhiu with two and Joe Wildsmith to score after a mazy 70 yard run and a 35 yard screamer

EDIT: Scratch that, 4-0... I said Bannan would score from two inches out at the weekend and he scored a screamer, so our Scottish midget will score from 1 inch away today!

Edited by StudentOwl

Guest Johnbloodaxe

You omitted to mention her more famous son.

William!! The one who invented the machine to wash the doo covered clothes as he was fed up of being asked to do the dirty deed by hand.

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

You omitted to mention her more famous son.

William!! The one who invented the machine to wash the doo covered clothes as he was fed up of being asked to do the dirty deed by hand.

I remember Willie Eckerslike, starred in "The Phantom Raspberry Blower Of Old London Town" along with the Two Ronnies and that other great actress from Bolton Norma Stitz!

Great thread Pauli and a fitting tribute to David Bowie.

Great to see Tay Tay looking well and truly minted too.

No score prediction from me as usual so it doesn't screw things up for us!

C'mon You Blue & White Wizards!