first post

Been reading this forum for a few years and not really ever had the inclination to get involved with some of the pettiness and negativity that seems to surround the board.

As a bit of personal history, every now and again as a kid my Grandad would take me to football matches around the area as and when he fancied watching the visiting team, so I was used to going to Millmoor, Bramall lane and Hillsborough, don’t think he really had a team as such, but loved football even though it was nowhere near as good as in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s.

On my first 2 visits to Hillsborough I saw Pele (3 day week afternoon kick off) and then George Best. When we left the ground after that Man utd game he told me that Best was the bravest player he’d ever seen play which was some accolade as he’d seen Milburn, Shackleton, Mathews and Finney etc.

So I became a Wednesday fan and have had some great moments, BDM as a 17 year old, the Charlton, Wilkinson and Atkinson eras. Since the time of Sheridan etc I’ve moved away from the area, started with family responsibilities and probably only made 4-5 games a year.

Then 2 years ago after 9 years of refusing to take him to Old Trafford, I managed to get my youngest son to start thinking about being an Owls fan. Last season under Stuart Gray we got to about 12 games and didn’t see a victory, which stretched the lad’s patience.

The turning point came in the FA cup match at the Etihad where I thought we were unlucky not to nick a replay, but it’s the day I remember him changing, he became a fan, a big crowd, great away support and a class act from Man City on how to run a modern match-day experience, it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m afraid its where football is going and they showed how to do it right. The fact that I can take my son to the game on a Saturday not only gets me an excuse to go out for the day but also carries on a tradition that makes me nearly a proud Father.

This season we've become members and missed just 2 home fixtures due to holidays, seen some great football and goals and the development of a team, culminating in the Arsenal game, which took me back to the early 90’s and the last good SWFC side.

Personally everything I see about the set up today is geared to a vision of what Man City have achieved, which has taken a number of years of investment and hard work to get there. It didn’t come overnight and it certainly will not happen overnight for Sheffield Wednesday. Me and the lad were at the Alfreton friendly and managed to speak to both DC and Carlos, they were attentive and would have talked for ever had they not had other commitments, proper gentlemen with the charisma and character to win over a suspicious public.

Believe me it was a bit different to the last friendly at Alfreton.

I’m bemused by the cynics on this board, as if they want failure, this is the best team and management structure we’ve had since the early 90’s and to my mind you can add entertaining football, which after all is why we come to watch, to be entertained. There have been mistakes, ticket pricing and some of the manager’s team selections, but they will learn from these mistakes and move on. What do people want? Stuart Gray to return? A decent bloke but not up to what is required.

I’ve witnessed enough crap at Hillsborough over 40 years to appreciate when people are trying to do the right thing.

The main reason for posting though was to say to anyone who enters a fantasy football team in the Daily Telegraph that it’s me who is atop the Wednesday supporter’s league by some distance, proof if you needed that I know my footy…..     

If we only went to Hillsborough to be entertained like you say, it would have been empty for 15 years since getting relegated from the premier league. I went through gritted teeth, it's because you love the club and that only. ( or hate your missus )

Welcome aboard Peacock

Your comment about the cynic's is spot on

Unfortunately we have far too many moaner's who jump aboard any negative comments

Like you say, it's as though they want failure, it gives some of them an excuse to stay away

They're probably worried that if we are successful they won't have any excuses and people will see them for what they really are

Moaner's who are unhappy with life

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I joined recently. Mainly because the bloke who sits behind me is always on about Owlstalk. I dont know him but I hear his every word. He must be a regular and he thinks its wonderful but his mate thinks owlstalk is full of lobbers.

After a week or so I can see both points of view

The main reason for posting though was to say to anyone who enters a fantasy football team in the Daily Telegraph that it’s me who is atop the Wednesday supporter’s league by some distance, proof if you needed that I know my footy…..     

Eh?

Surely it's the end of season finishing place that matters? 

I joined recently. Mainly because the bloke who sits behind me is always on about Owlstalk. I dont know him but I hear his every word. He must be a regular and he thinks its wonderful but his mate thinks owlstalk is full of lobbers.

It's got it's fair share

But then so has Hillsborough on matchday, so has Twitter, so has Facebook etc etc

Who'd have thought it would turn out to be a boast post in the end.

lol

To be fair though it was definitely worth the read

Owlstalk Shop

Ok, so its was a bit long winded, just thought it polite to give a bit of background before posting, but i can feel the love.

And, yes i know leading a fantasy football lead is only relevant at the end, just lamely trying a bit of humour.

I still think there's a touch of pettiness on here.