January Transfer Window Thread

No, I'm sorry, but that really isn't the case.

Both Hunt and Palmer are capable of sound defensive games (Palmer more so than Hunt, but there's not much in it, IMO), and Hunt is more capable (or at least, willing) going forward.

But what of it? Hunt, for all the games he's played, and for all the great attacking positions he's taken up, I'm struggling to think of any assists - in fact, I'm struggling to think of any genuinely good chances he's created.

The same goes for Palmer, but is less of an indictment because of the fewer number of games he's played this season. Even so, his ability to contribute to our attacking game was there for all to see in an otherwise excellent performance against Derby. His crossing let him down 9 times out of 10 - and that's not an unreasonable appraisal of his crossing because he really did have that many opportunities to cross the ball in that game.

Personally, I think it's tactically naive not to expect better crossing ability from full backs. That Derby game was a perfect example, in fact, of a commonly recurring statistic, which is that full backs very often leave the pitch having had more opportunities to cross the ball than the wingers or wide midfielders in front of them.

We could do far worse than either Hunt or Palmer, and certainly the division has first choice right backs playing regularly despite being less able players even than either of these two - but still, we're talking now about being good enough to get out of this division rather than just merely holding our own, and although I don't think it's vital that a Championship team has full backs that create, I do think there's no reason for us to be content with either Hunt or Palmer.

A centre half with pace, and a winger with a pace are greater priorities I reckon, but a better right back would then be next on my list.

We won't risk potentially wasting our money on a right back & possibly upsetting the squad balance by signing another right back when there aren't any major issues there. Would be like signing a new keeper in January cos Westwood's kicks are a bit naff....All players will have their faults at this level, it's the reason why they're at this level. 

Bannan's only got the one assist this season..the same as Hunt & Palmer, Pudil two. Doesn't mean I'd be replacing them either. 

Hunt creates his fair share of chances, attacking is his strength & I think defensively he's getting stronger.

This is the most consistent run Hunt has had games wise since his Huddersfield days I think. He's still young too, only just 25. If we could do a fair deal with Palace (considering they have 3 right backs ahead of him in the pecking order) I'd be getting it done asap. I'm not saying he's blown me away this season, he's had good & bad games the same as each and every player (apart from Tom Lees...who is god...of course)

I certainly wouldn't be looking at replacing him with James bloomin' Tavernier of the Scottish Championship lol

Edited by FlyingOwl

Again I would love us to sign Emyr Huws on permanent transfer from Wigan, although I dont know what are the terms of his loan deal at Huddersfield. Very much Premiership midfielder in the making. Think he would fit in perfectly with how we want to play.

Luke Freeman is another player I would love to see here. He could be improvement on Wallace, and much needed back up for likes of Bannan and FF. Can fill in almost every attacking position in our team.

Again I would love us to sign Emyr Huws on permanent transfer from Wigan, although I dont know what are the terms of his loan deal at Huddersfield. Very much Premiership midfielder in the making. Think he would fit in perfectly with how we want to play.

Luke Freeman is another player I would love to see here. He could be improvement on Wallace, and much needed back up for likes of Bannan and FF. Can fill in almost every attacking position in our team.

He was decent about 2/3 seasons ago, not so sure now.

We can do MUCH better than Luke Freeman IMO.

Imagine if we signed a decent centre back cover, not sure who?

I'd love it if we signed some quality along the lines of: Alan Judge; Zach Clough, Patrick Bamford (loan) and Ross McCormack. Something along the lines of that plus a centre back and extending Hooper's loan would storm us into the top six I believe. No idea if we could get them but I'm excited with about our League position, the football we are playing under CC and the ambitious and ruthless ownership of DC.

Whatever happens this season and in the window it's a lot more exciting following the famous old Wednesday this season than it's been for a long time. Long may it continue! :D

Oh and I wish you all a happy Christmas fellow Owls and to all owlstalk-ers.

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

Baffling me why so many can't see we desperately need a fit, reliable central defender. Someone to partner Lees. Get Hutch back in midfield. Loovens, Turner, sasso, Dielna, Lachmann.... Are all not upto it for one reason or another. David Hirst said three new players are expected next month. And a friend of a friend says 10-15m will be splashed.

Baffling me why so many can't see we desperately need a fit, reliable central defender. Someone to partner Lees. Get Hutch back in midfield. Loovens, Turner, sasso, Dielna, Lachmann.... Are all not upto it for one reason or another. David Hirst said three new players are expected next month. And a friend of a friend says 10-15m will be splashed.

Elf.gif

He was decent about 2/3 seasons ago, not so sure now.

We can do MUCH better than Luke Freeman IMO.

Last season was by far the best of his career so far, and this year he is one of precious few of Bristol City players who looks as good Championship player.

That's good enough for me.