January Transfer Window Thread

The only clubs which can afford to sign Jordan Rhodes are PL clubs, and clubs with parachute money. We are on a par with the likes of Derby and Boro, it's just that we're spending what we can afford, they're not. That said, if Boro don't go up automatically and we face them in the playoffs it would be a sickener if Rhodes scored against us and knocked us out.

Stupid comment. Absolutely no guarantee we will be 6th 12 months today. Everyone now should be expecting a top 6 finish.

It's very much this season

No guarantees about anything, but there are four or five teams stronger than us, and we need a good window to close the gap. Thus far, if anything, the gaps got bigger

There are 4 teams we will not finish above in my opinion. Boro, Hull, Derby (will come out of their current slump) and Burnley

I've no interest in the gap to them, it's the gap to 7th place I'm bothered about

It makes no odds, at some point we'd have to beat them, and that's something we haven't managed to do. I do believe though, next season we'll be so much stronger

Guest wilyfox

I don't understand why guru is flouncing. He always believed Rhodes was overrated anyway. I'm rather glad Boro bought Rhodes instead of McCormack, who is a far more influential player - and Boro turned to him first before Rhodes, by the sounds of it.

Let's see what else occurs before deadline. Derby don't appear to have improved for all the business they've done this month. Hull haven't done anything, Burnley haven't done anything yet either, and I'm still confident we can compete with the likes of Brighton, Birmingham, and Ipswich.

I don't understand why guru is flouncing. He always believed Rhodes was overrated anyway. I'm rather glad Boro bought Rhodes instead of McCormack, who is a far more influential player - and Boro turned to him first before Rhodes, by the sounds of it.

Let's see what else occurs before deadline. Derby don't appear to have improved for all the business they've done this month. Hull haven't done anything, Burnley haven't done anything yet either, and I'm still confident we can compete with the likes of Brighton, Birmingham, and Ipswich.

Indeed, and I'm more than happy with Hooper. If we can add a bit of quality to the squad in the summer, I really fancy our chances, no matter who comes down

I think that we need to keep things in perspective. This is our fourth season in this league. The first two seasons we were fighting relegation, and last season we got to mid table because of our style of play, rather than because of the quality of our players. The only teams who scored less than us went down. Burrrrrrnley and Hull were aloft in the PL, and Middlesborough and Derby were already strong sides at this level. We've made up a lot of ground in a very short space of time, and the fact that fans are irked that bonny Boro have signed Rhodes bears testament to that.

I think that we need to keep things in perspective. This is our fourth season in this league. The first two seasons we were fighting relegation, and last season we got to mid table because of our style of play, rather than because of the quality of our players. The only teams who scored less than us went down. Burrrrrrnley and Hull were aloft in the PL, and Middlesborough and Derby were already strong sides at this level. We've made up a lot of ground in a very short space of time, and the fact that fans are irked that bonny Boro have signed Rhodes bears testament to that.

This ^^^^

One player FFS can never be guaranteed to make a difference. One tackle, Studs catch in turf, season over. In Boro s case that equates to the revenue  of 22 games on one player. Financial planning of the lowest order ! 

It's even worse really because that doesn't include his wages.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest wilyfox

Look at Burnley. Parachute payments have bought them the leading scorer in the league.

The fees for Ings, Trippier, and Shackell bought them the leading scorer in the league. Burnley have been very thrifty. Their team was already stable and well-drilled. The key was always likely to be replacing those three, and they've done that well.