January Transfer Window Thread

Patrick Roberts has signed for Celtic on loan.

Would it be worth putting a loan bid in for James Forrest at Celtic? Constantly on the bench for them, but with Roberts coming in I can't see that being the case.

Always a player I've liked.

I would have liked to see Roberts at Wednesday. The Championship will be more competitive than the SPL.

I would have liked to see Roberts at Wednesday. The Championship will be more competitive than the SPL.

So would I have.

Total career regression. Basically gone from championship to the equivalent of league 2

In terms of quality of opposition, perhaps. But Roberts is talented and that won't change between now and May.

He'll maybe toughen up in that league, he's playing with quality players. A lot of internationals. He's getting game time in a massive stadium with passionate support. He'll probably have at least one cup final between now and then & will probably get the feeling of winning the league. It'll be character building.

From City's point of view, they know he can cut it in the championship. They probably wanted to test Roberts differently. 

Total career regression. Basically gone from championship to the equivalent of league 2

He joined the long list of players who saw pound signs and signed for one of the big boys only to rot on hte bench or in the reserves until moving on to be able to play football again.

He joined the long list of players who saw pound signs and signed for one of the big boys only to rot on hte bench or in the reserves until moving on to be able to play football again.

Christ, he's only 18.

Got a long career ahead of him. I'm sure the kid signed for City knowing he didn't have much of a chance of getting a look in straight away, but he had a massive opportunity to work alongside some of the best players in the country and the world. He's also probably training with some of the best coaches, and youth development coaches...playing a number of games in a bloody good City youth squad. Doing all this and getting paid more than what he was on at Fulham.

If that's 'rotting'. Then I want to rot.

Christ, he's only 18.

Got a long career ahead of him. I'm sure the kid signed for City knowing he didn't have much of a chance of getting a look in straight away, but he had a massive opportunity to work alongside some of the best players in the country and the world. He's also probably training with some of the best coaches, and youth development coaches...playing a number of games in a bloody good City youth squad. Doing all this and getting paid more than what he was on at Fulham.

If that's 'rotting'. Then I want to rot.

you're a student, you're already rotting  lol

It depends what offers came in from our league but the standard of opposition in that league is akin to playing the likes of York City or Dagenham

It won't do much for him in my opinion

Apart from everything I said above, about toughening up...playing alongside internationals rather than the youth kids he was playing with, playing in front of a massive stadium, winning trophies and medals,  building character.

He's talented. And that won't change between now and his return to City. But sometimes talent isn't enough. And Celtic could be the best place for him for the next few months. Certainly City's coaching staff seem to think so and, whilst I'd have loved him here, I tend to agree with them. He might not be facing the best opposition. But just like City are a scalp for any team in the PL, Celtic are the big fish in the league. Teams up their game. He's gonna come against massive defenders who will see this small winger and want to smash him into row Z. He'll have to learn to move past that. 

you're a student, you're already rotting  lol

I do feel like that sometimes, I must admit.

I 100% feel less smart than I was when I was 18. 

Apart from everything I said above, about toughening up...playing alongside internationals rather than the youth kids he was playing with, playing in front of a massive stadium, winning trophies and medals,  building character.

He's talented. And that won't change between now and his return to City. But sometimes talent isn't enough. And Celtic could be the best place for him for the next few months. Certainly City's coaching staff seem to think so and, whilst I'd have loved him here, I tend to agree with them. He might not be facing the best opposition. But just like City are a scalp for any team in the PL, Celtic are the big fish in the league. Teams up their game. He's gonna come against massive defenders who will see this small winger and want to smash him into row Z. He'll have to learn to move past that. 

I do feel like that sometimes, I must admit.

I 100% feel less smart than I was when I was 18. 

yah know when you take my sh*t seriously it ruins the humour. stop being inconsiderate damnit!  :ph34r:

lol at the people pretending to themselves that they're glad we didn't sign Jordan Rhodes

After signing Gary Hooper?

In theory, Rhodes would've been a massive signing.

In practice it could have been a disaster, him and Rhodes are too similar to play together and too costly to have one on the bench.

I'm glad we've gone for Hooper, a player we know has settled into our team well. He's also done it at champions league level & scored in the PL. Something Rhodes can't boast lol

lol at the people pretending to themselves that they're glad we didn't sign Jordan Rhodes

Not glad we haven't signed him

Just glad we haven't spent that amount of money on one player

For all you youngsters that weren't there at the time, spending millions we couldn't afford is what caused us to have 20 years of decline

Once bitten twice shy and all that

And for what it's worth, I hope we don't blow 6 million on Alan Judge

There are cheaper alternatives out there

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Can someone explain how the flip the likes of Middlesboro and Derby can keep spending? How are they not under transfer embargoed and the likes of Cardiff and Fulham are, who have got parachute payments and Middlesboro and Derby don't even receive parachute payments. And how can the likes of Bournemouth last season and QPR the year before be allowed to overspend their way to the top flight by breaking the FFP rules and the likes of Derby and Middlesboro are doing the exact same thing yet nothing is done? It makes no sense. Is it one rule for some and another for the rest? roger it just get Judge. Let the rest of them and football implode. Forestieri and Hooper were bargains. Judge's price doesn't look so crazy after all.

The FFP,rules are a joke frankly. Bournemouth have effectively put two fingers up to the FFP this season. Boro are probably doing the very same.

After signing Gary Hooper?

In theory, Rhodes would've been a massive signing.

In practice it could have been a disaster, him and Rhodes are too similar to play together and too costly to have one on the bench.

I'm glad we've gone for Hooper, a player we know has settled into our team well. He's also done it at champions league level & scored in the PL. Something Rhodes can't boast lol

Just admit your gutted lol

I bet any money if we'd been sat where Boro are now DC would have paid it no problem

I tend to agree. Boro were probably going to go up anyway, signing Rhodes makes it more inevitable. The £9m plus add ons will soon be recovered in the Premier. Us paying that amount for Rhodes might ensure we secure a play off spot but wouldn't guarantee promotion.

I genuinely don't see the issue with 9m for Rhodes?

It's called ambition

It's the price you have to pay for someone that is going to guarantee a goal in every two games.

If we hadn't paid ridiculous fees and wages 20 years ago, we might not have been away so long

13 million for Rhodes or £3 million for Hooper

I'm just glad our chairman has good business savvy

We once signed 2 players on 4 year contracts, and paid them 20K per week

The two players were injured for the majority of those 4 years, I think they played around 20 games between them in total for us

We need to continue what we're doing, and look for value for money

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.