January Transfer Window Thread

Make pudils loan permanent

Got a feeling we'll be looking abroad again wouldn't mind is shifting some players out like bus dielna lachman

Need a new centre half and If we are looking at full backs why not James tavirner at rangers tearing it up I know we arnt entirely convinced with players from Scotland but could be worth a look at also a decent striker someone like kramic at Leicester can't get a look in at this moment

Edited by nolan_swfc

I'm pleasingly confused after watching bannan play central on Sunday. For me he has to stay there from now on.

I'd keep hutch at centre back I think he looks so at home there, and when fit I'd partner him with Lees.

But bannan and Lee as a central pair could be a bit lightweight away from home(3 central) I think we need a hutch type of midfielder, but a bloody good one. Somebody in the mould of Diame at Hull (not him though as I'm sure they wouldn't sell him)

Diagouraga has been fantastic at Brentford for 3 seasons now. He could possibly be persuaded with a move.

Plus, it's unlikely, but as mentioned there's Jedinak.

Edited by TheEnchanter

Our eyes are on the Portuguese market.

Hyun-Jun Suk

Afonso Figueiredo

Agree with you entirely Owlsman, and in my opinion these two will be right at the top of the list. Figueiredo will be a Premier League quality left back in a couple of years, just as Pudil's turning 32... convenient eh?

If Hooper can get another couple of goals we'll probably look to make him permanent too. Probably another winger, although who and/or where from will be another matter entirely- my gut tells me it'll be a Championship or Premier League-based winger.

Beyond that, it'll be largely the same unless there are some fantastic deals going, eg Bannan on a free or even as has been mentioned, a cheeky bid for Jedinak on the cheap.

Like I say, it's exciting... you feel like the team is only going to get better this window and I can't wait to see who we bring in and in what positions. It's also time we let Lavery go permanently? Bus at least out on loan? De Havilland to leave?

Can't help but feel those on the fringes will be going in January too to free up some wages and to let their careers continue elsewhere

Sign Hunt & Pudil permanently, get Bannan's contract extension signed and sealed. Get Lavery out of League 2 and into League 1, get Bus loaned out too....and Price. Offload Lachman and Dielna however possible.

Probably need to look for a centre half, though I'd need to know the full extent of Lees and Sasso's respective injuries to fully judge that situation. Long term future I see Hutchinson and Lees as our partnership, so I would like to look at getting a new 'enforcer' for our midfield. Will be a tough ask cos not only does Hutchinson do all that dirty work in the middle, but he's got a terrific range of passing too. Someone to replicate everything he brought to that midfield is sure to cost £££. Maybe something we need to look at properly in August rather than January.

Other than that we do need a winger I think, no one really knows how long Matias is out for and I'm just not convinced with Sougou at this level. His work rate is probably worse than Matias' was (though the word is that Matias was carrying an injury for a while). Not writing him off completely, but Helan is being preferred to him coming off the bench & I think they're both very similar wingers (I am classing Helan as a winger now...). We need a further option on the wing in the mold of Wallace. When he is subbed, rested or knackered we tend to miss what he can offer in terms of delivery. 

Any other signing will depend on Hooper and how many more goals he contributes before that loan deal is up.

James Tarkowski

Someone I'd love to get IF CC wants Hutchinson back in midfield and wants a centre half bringing in.

Make pudils loan permanent

Got a feeling we'll be looking abroad again wouldn't mind is shifting some players out like bus dielna lachman

Need a new centre half and If we are looking at full backs why not James tavirner at rangers tearing it up I know we arnt entirely convinced with players from Scotland but could be worth a look at also a decent striker someone like kramic at Leicester can't get a look in at this moment

Tavernier turned down a contract with Bristol in the championship to go to Rangers. And they will have offered him a fair amount of money AND had a history with him. Wouldn't be someone I'd bend over backwards to get, as impressive as he's been at Rangers...it is the Scottish Championship....and Jack Hunt and Liam Palmer pretty much have that position sewn up.

I would be surprised to add any full backs. 

James Collins

Mile Jedinak

Alex Pritchard

Gary Hooper extended or a similar striker such as Dwight Gayle

Certain to finish in the top 4 if we added this lot in this January.

Even slower than Loovens...lol

I don't see what Collins would add that Loovens and Turner don't have. If we're to go for a centre half, and that's probably a big IF dependent on Lees' and Sasso's injuries....it'll be someone younger with a bit more pace about them.

Would look at John Egan at Gillingham, Jack Stephens from Southampton (set to be recalled due to Boro not playing him) or Adrian Mariappa from Palace.

Club call used to say something like that years ago.

'Stay on the line for exciting news about possible imminent transfer activity at Hillsborough'.......and then after 45 minutes of holding it'd be .....''tomorrow on Clubcall we will have exclusive breaking news about a possible a player transfer coming into Hillsborough'.  

HAHA those were the days 

Tavernier turned down a contract with Bristol in the championship to go to Rangers. And they will have offered him a fair amount of money AND had a history with him. Wouldn't be someone I'd bend over backwards to get, as impressive as he's been at Rangers...it is the Scottish Championship....and Jack Hunt and Liam Palmer pretty much have that position sewn up.

I would be surprised to add any full backs. 

No, I'm sorry, but that really isn't the case.

Both Hunt and Palmer are capable of sound defensive games (Palmer more so than Hunt, but there's not much in it, IMO), and Hunt is more capable (or at least, willing) going forward.

But what of it? Hunt, for all the games he's played, and for all the great attacking positions he's taken up, I'm struggling to think of any assists - in fact, I'm struggling to think of any genuinely good chances he's created.

The same goes for Palmer, but is less of an indictment because of the fewer number of games he's played this season. Even so, his ability to contribute to our attacking game was there for all to see in an otherwise excellent performance against Derby. His crossing let him down 9 times out of 10 - and that's not an unreasonable appraisal of his crossing because he really did have that many opportunities to cross the ball in that game.

Personally, I think it's tactically naive not to expect better crossing ability from full backs. That Derby game was a perfect example, in fact, of a commonly recurring statistic, which is that full backs very often leave the pitch having had more opportunities to cross the ball than the wingers or wide midfielders in front of them.

We could do far worse than either Hunt or Palmer, and certainly the division has first choice right backs playing regularly despite being less able players even than either of these two - but still, we're talking now about being good enough to get out of this division rather than just merely holding our own, and although I don't think it's vital that a Championship team has full backs that create, I do think there's no reason for us to be content with either Hunt or Palmer.

A centre half with pace, and a winger with a pace are greater priorities I reckon, but a better right back would then be next on my list.

Someone I'd love to get IF CC wants Hutchinson back in midfield and wants a centre half bringing in.

He's playing way out of his league at Brentford (in a good way) and for a relatively young defender. He's exactly the type of guy who you could envision in a solid prem side in a few years (hopefully us). Would definitely take us to the right place.