Genesis - Kodi Users

owlZfan84

How do these zgemma boxes work?

Is it a one off fee or is there a subscription?

Do you need a sky dish?

Not upto speed with these! lol

Need a sky dish but if you have a cable house you can also use both with some of the boxes, also need connection to internet via ethernet/wifi - some even use mobile data network.

The box along gives you access to FTA channels - if you purchase a 'Sky Gift' aka CCCam, cline or nline then that gives you the Sk..y/Virgi..n service.

Different providers charge different rates - I paid for a year off ebay for £15 and it works well enough but I'd get a recommendation from someone on techkings and pay a bit more as the weekend footy glitches a little when his servers get busy.

You do have to faff around a bit to get everything up and running but techkings website has guides for doing the whole lot.

Just got mine delivered this morning and - wow. Massive improvement on the Openbox I had, this looks and feels like a Sky EPG, also has access to IPTV - need to install Kodi and see how it runs.

Picture quality is also a lot better than offered on the Openbox - well worth the extra bit of cash.

Have you got Kodi working yet?

Interested also about IPTV for the 3 o clock kicks offs. I pay for an IPTV service on the RUya network which is very good but would be interested in other services available

I had a quick look at the Kodi but just looks like it will run too slow, will have a bit more of a look at it when I've got time.

You can get an extension for Ruya on the Zgemma, so I'd imagine you can just move your login details over for it.

Managed to get all the EPG showing correct channel numbers with a bit of a faff around - also got the 7 day EPG going as well. It's bloody impressive this thing.

Have you got Kodi working yet?

Interested also about IPTV for the 3 o clock kicks offs. I pay for an IPTV service on the RUya network which is very good but would be interested in other services available

Ok - I've had a play around with the Kodidirect plugin, namely the Exodus and Sportsdevil addons.

The Kodidirect service whilst slow, works very well - didn't have one single stutter/buffer issue when watching the MamaHD section of Sportsdevil and the quality is markedly better than it is running through my Fire TV.

I'm honestly not impressed with the speed but I'll forego that in favor of the added quality and because I've got the Zgemma running sky in any case, it'll be there to run movies on and be used as a back up for live footy if I ever need it.

Exodus was much better - picked the 1080p stream up for Star Wars and played quickly with no buffering issues. I did notice there was a bit of a sync issue with the audio but you can adjust the delay in the Zgemma menu accordingly.

Looks like the majority of addons can be installed from zip and the most popular are already available on the Kodidirect service itself - the only thing that caused my box to crash was installing repositories from 3rd parties but I'll just grab the zip files and add them in that way.

I think I've just made the Fire TV redundant which isn't really a loss - it's going on ebay.

This box is without doubt the best piece of kit I've invested in for a long time.

sounds great thinking of getting one myself. Thing that worries me is that Sky and some of the big corps have started making waves and threatening legal action. Cant see it going the same way as Napster though.

Sounds promising for kodi on the box. I only tend to use Exodus and MBOX anyway and MBOX will be redundant with the ccline anyway.

Can't see sky ever managing to stop this now. The boxes aren't illegal so they can't do anything about them. As soon as they take one server down another 10 will pop up.

Sky and other providers have screwed the consumer for too long now and to be honest it serves them right

Edited by yeadonowl

sounds great thinking of getting one myself. Thing that worries me is that Sky and some of the big corps have started making waves and threatening legal action. Cant see it going the same way as Napster though.

It's for the people running the servers themselves mate.

Like everything else, you run the risk of it being shut down at a moments notice as you do with everything that's not above board. The best way to work with these things is off the back of a VPN and at least you've then got a touch of anonymity.

This method has been around a lot longer than using the Kodi/Android route and doesn't appear to be disappearing anytime soon - the people on ebay knocking the Firesticks out with Kodi as well as the addons should probably have a little more to worry about.

Sky went to the measure of changing the encryption on their boxes a couple of years back, which blocks all their HD content but believe me the SD quality is not far off being what I'd describe as upscaled HD.

Thing that impresses me the most is the non-glitch/freezing/buffering and that's eventually what did my nut in running Kodi/Mobro - if you research the providers for the Zgemma service then at least there's a bit of comeback if you run into issues.

Sounds promising for kodi on the box. I only tend to use Exodus and MBOX anyway and MBOX will be redundant with the ccline anyway.

Can't see sky ever managing to stop this now. The boxes aren't illegal so they can't do anything about them. As soon as they take one server down another 10 will pop up.

Sky and other providers have screwed the consumer for too long now and to be honest it serves them right

Get it up on ebay mate lol

My Fire TV 1st Gen went for close to £80 with the Kodi left on - people are nuts.

It's for the people running the servers themselves mate.

Like everything else, you run the risk of it being shut down at a moments notice as you do with everything that's not above board. The best way to work with these things is off the back of a VPN and at least you've then got a touch of anonymity.

This method has been around a lot longer than using the Kodi/Android route and doesn't appear to be disappearing anytime soon - the people on ebay knocking the Firesticks out with Kodi as well as the addons should probably have a little more to worry about.

Sky went to the measure of changing the encryption on their boxes a couple of years back, which blocks all their HD content but believe me the SD quality is not far off being what I'd describe as upscaled HD.

Thing that impresses me the most is the non-glitch/freezing/buffering and that's eventually what did my nut in running Kodi/Mobro - if you research the providers for the Zgemma service then at least there's a bit of comeback if you run into issues.

Get it up on ebay mate lol

My Fire TV 1st Gen went for close to £80 with the Kodi left on - people are nuts.

Iknow but without the servers it's not much use lol

Iknow but without the servers it's not much use lol

You pay your money and take your chances - how many times have you had to scroll around Kodi for a working addon or one that hasn't been pulled?

The majority of the reliable addons have all gone to a paid service on Kodi/IPTV.

Ok - I've had a play around with the Kodidirect plugin, namely the Exodus and Sportsdevil addons.

The Kodidirect service whilst slow, works very well - didn't have one single stutter/buffer issue when watching the MamaHD section of Sportsdevil and the quality is markedly better than it is running through my Fire TV.

I'm honestly not impressed with the speed but I'll forego that in favor of the added quality and because I've got the Zgemma running sky in any case, it'll be there to run movies on and be used as a back up for live footy if I ever need it.

Exodus was much better - picked the 1080p stream up for Star Wars and played quickly with no buffering issues. I did notice there was a bit of a sync issue with the audio but you can adjust the delay in the Zgemma menu accordingly.

Looks like the majority of addons can be installed from zip and the most popular are already available on the Kodidirect service itself - the only thing that caused my box to crash was installing repositories from 3rd parties but I'll just grab the zip files and add them in that way.

I think I've just made the Fire TV redundant which isn't really a loss - it's going on ebay.

This box is without doubt the best piece of kit I've invested in for a long time.

Ok I've now been using the zgemma for about 5 days now and u think I've finally sussed it out and like Watford says this is a great but of kit. Maybe I've got lucky with my line so far but I've been watching it all week without one judder, freeze or anything apart from a great picture.

My only real complaint is that I can't get KodiDirect to work at all. When I try Exodus it freezes my box and Sports Devil just doesn't work but I've got a firestick so it's no big deal

There is also an IPTV player with some apps on which might be an alternative to kodi but haven't had chance to give them a go yet

Overall looks like a very good investment

Edited by yeadonowl

Ok I've now been using the zgemma for about 5 days now and u think I've finally sussed it out and like Watford says this is a great but of kit. Maybe I've got lucky with my line so far but I've been watching it all week without one judder, freeze or anything apart from a great picture.

My only real complaint is that I can't get KodiDirect to work at all. When I try Exodus it freezes my box and Sports Devil just doesn't work but I've got a firestick so it's no big deal

There is also an IPTV player with some apps on which might be an alternative to kodi but haven't had chance to give them a go yet

Overall looks like a very good investment

Make sure you have Kodidirect 3.0 mate - latest version. Sportsdevil and Exodus are pretty much the two I have up and running through it but Sportsdevil is a bit hit and miss.

IPTV Player has Yify movies on there and works fine.

Like yourself, virtually no judders/freezes at all in the last couple of weeks - a lot is down to the line provider but the kit backs it up as opposed to a cheaper box.

Gonna run with this for a good 6 months - if 4k TV content 'really' takes off I'll push the boat out and get a Vu+ Solo 4k but they are a bit too pricey for me at the minute. Also interested in looking at a hybrid/android box.

Make sure you have Kodidirect 3.0 mate - latest version. Sportsdevil and Exodus are pretty much the two I have up and running through it but Sportsdevil is a bit hit and miss.

IPTV Player has Yify movies on there and works fine.

Like yourself, virtually no judders/freezes at all in the last couple of weeks - a lot is down to the line provider but the kit backs it up as opposed to a cheaper box.

Gonna run with this for a good 6 months - if 4k TV content 'really' takes off I'll push the boat out and get a Vu+ Solo 4k but they are a bit too pricey for me at the minute. Also interested in looking at a hybrid/android box.

Have now got V3 and I can now actually get into the Exodus menus

Everything I try and play just errors though

Do o need to download a separate media player or should I have a VPN

Have now got V3 and I can now actually get into the Exodus menus

Everything I try and play just errors though

Do o need to download a separate media player or should I have a VPN

No it should be fine as it is - It is more miss than hit is what I'm experiencing.

There is only one developer that is doing anything to get the addons working on Linux boxes, so he's up against it really.

Exodus streams from GVideo I'm generally finding are not playing - I believe that was the same on the Fire TV as well so I think that's an issue with the provider rather than the addon, you might just have to go down 4 or 5 til you get one that works but avoid the links from the same provider that doesn't work if you see what I mean.

I'd also install phstreams addon through Kodidirect - it's the Phoenix addon. Has the links for live footy and also a massive database of films under the One242415 section. The non-working links are a bit easier to spot when you play the video as well - if the buffer stays on 1% anything past 10-15 seconds then its dead, so exit and try the next one down the list to play the file. Another way of checking the links quickly is to choose the 'download' option at the play screen, if it goes to 100% immediately its dead if not you should be good to go.

Another good little feature of using this box as well is that you can add the link into your 'bouquets' - they appear under XBMCAddons when you go into the EPG and you can play the file from there which saves you waiting for Kodidirect to load - quite useful when it's as slow as it is. When you select the file you want to watch it will show in the 'play' menu as an option to add to bouquet.

Still learning about this as I go along - a lot more to get your head around but I think once the pain of it's done then it'll be fine.

Some nutter bought my 4k Fire TV for £90 today just because it had Kodi and Mobdro installed - crazy, only paid £65 for it in the first place.

I've just bought a Philips Ultra HD TV with android installed on it. Downloaded kodi through Play Store and it works superbly.

Nice one. 

I've wondered about these - does the menu system on Kodi run smoothly without any delays?

Nice one. 

I've wondered about these - does the menu system on Kodi run smoothly without any delays?

I've got a Sony 4K android TV and KODI works just as well as any other app on it. It is a bit slower than say on a pc, but i think thats to be expected.