Stoke City vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Thing this is the end of the road for us but you never know. We thought that against the geordies and we thought it even more against the arsenal.

Lets gibbet it a good go and see what happens. Some let players we will miss tonight but this is the sort of game for someone else to step up and shine.

#believe

Local "ish" game for me...25mins away. Couldn't get an away ticket so am with a couple of work colleagues in the home stands, not known for being a bad crowd but might just have to tone down my usual vociferousness....if I can!

Really tough game tonight, just hope we turn up and hold our own, head says they'll win it probably with a late one but heart says we'll play them off the park as we did with Arsenal.

Great MDT gain Pauli.

Told this story before but what the heck. 16th November 1963 at the old Victoria ground.

There with my Dad as a 13 year old, we had to be in with a great chance of a win on form... They were crap and we were, we were Wednesday. So you can imagine the disappointment on my face as we were quickly 2-0 down. My thoughts drifted to the little man in the white coat at the Lane as he would have gleefully pranced along the front of the cricket scoreboard to inform the United hordes that Wednesday were 2-0 down inside half an hour.

The pain didn't ease as after Layne reduced the arrears Ritchie restored the two goal gap before half time. It got even worse too as Ritchie completed his hat trick just beyond the hour and by 75 minutes Owls fans began to drift away. I could see my Dad was of that mind too he had asked if I had had enough but I had seen quick successive goals before.

There couldn't have been more than 5 minutes left when Fantham slid Mark Pearson in for 4-2. 2 minutes later Pearson was at it again slamming in following a mix up. Stoke were all over the place Dobson crossed and Layne slid in for his second and 4-4. Not long to go, and indeed most of our fans had gone long before the comeback started. Then the last move of the match saw Alan Finney turn a ball inside to Fantham and from the edge of the area JF crashed a shot against the bar.

Almost immediately the whistle blew for full time. The Wednedayites sat waiting patiently on the train could not believe the tale that we diehards were bringing back.

Remember, no instant gratification   with the footy scores back in those days; Most Radios were valved as the new fangled transistors had not quite caught on. The smallest at the time was the Bush it stood about 15" long 5" deep and 10" high it needed an external battery and though it was OK for the beach listening to cricket one could hardly cart such a monstrosity to the match.

Back to the train... The fans who had left thought our tale of the great comeback was some sort of conspiracy and they patently refused to believe until they were able to get themselves a Green-Un as they left the station in Sheffield. 

Was there as well -- can see it now , all the surging /toing/frowing with the goals going in in front of us. My dad losing his lit players in the  surge when the shot from Fantham hit the bar and him scrabbling about looking for it when the final whistle went :rolleyes:. Good team with the prospect of keeping a decent side for a good while.

The rot  set in as we were ripped apart by the betting scandal and despite a false dawn in 66/7 its been a trial for us ever since.