Stoke City vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Tonight we carry on the great tradition of somebody losing against Wednesday on a Tuesday.

Wemberlee Wemberleeee!

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Back in the olden days, Josiah Wedgwood was a lowly bottom knocker at the local teapot factory. It was reyt hard graft, knocking bottoms all day.

Be6M5PP.jpg

Him and the other lads were all thinner than tramp’s dogs. Eating only two bowls of gruel a day and an extra oatcake on Sundays meant muscle was hard to build. Wedgewood struggled up the hill to work one morning and noticed that the butcher was selling sausages for a farthing each. “That’s just what I need” he thought, sadly it wasn't payday until tomorrow and he was skint.

kGgypKv.jpg

Then he had an idea, he would swipe a teapot from the factory and offer it to the butcher in exchange. The plan paid off and that evening Wedgie raced home with a pound of Staffordshire Sizzlers in his jacket pocket. The next week, he decided to try it again. The butcher looked the young lad up and down; “You were here a few days ago and I’ve already got a teapot.” Josiah wasn’t about to give up though... “What if I could get loads of teapots? You could sell them on the side, go on mister.”

10wWKLE.jpg

The butcher tapped the side of his nose in agreement and soon there was a steady exchange of illicit teapots and sausages. Wedgewood started to bulk up and his mates noticed with envy. Wedgie was knocking bottoms faster than ever. He let them into his secret and pottery of all kinds began to disappear from the factory’s inventory. The butcher was able to open several branches of “Meat & Teapots” throughout the area. Everyone was quite pleased with themselves on the whole.

It soon came to the factory owner’s attention that he had a group of strapping young fellows working for him. He hadn’t noticed his missing crockery as he had recently taken to following an exciting, new fangled type of sport and realised there was much money to be made in it. He called the lads together and told them of his plans to form a football team…

And that’s how we come to be playing them today.

IMPORTANT INFO FOR TRAVELLING OWLS

Stoke’s notorious hooligan crew are called “Naughty 40s”. Very, very nawty in fact. Here is a picture of their ringleader, so you will know who to watch out for. Despite looking like a clean shaven Father Christmas, he is in charge of an army of rowdyness and expert teapot pinchers.

SD5BRkG.png

Be careful tonight.

THE SERIOUS BIT

pXVJiFm.png

Venue: Britannia Stadium
Kick Off: Tuesday, 1st of December at 19:45

Matchday Apparel: Away shirt.

Matchday Drink: Beer.

Matchday Pie: Piping hot Staffordshire Sizzlers all round!

Matchday Song: Al Capone by Prince Buster…

Today’s Matchday Song is a special request from forums poster, 33.
He would like it to be dedicated to his beautiful wife and children, also the family dog, Ian. 

MATCHDAY FACTS

Stoke will be without skipper Ryan Shawcross for the League Cup quarter-final after he was dismissed in the loss to Sunderland. Shay Given (snapped off cup handle) and Marc Muniesa (hairline crack in grandma’s best vase) are also unavailable.

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Carlos Carvalhal is without key midfielder Barry Bannan for the trip to the Potteries. Youngster Joe Wildsmith is likely to start in goal and loan striker Gary Hooper is eligible.

JiHBHTE.pngHead to Head48pAkj8.png

• Stoke City have reached this stage in two of the last three seasons - they were beaten 2-0 by Manchester United in December 2013.

• This is Sheffield Wednesday's best performance in the League Cup since making it to the semi-finals in 2001-02, losing to eventual winners Blackburn Rovers.

• Stoke are winless in four matches in all competitions against Sheffield Wednesday, losing each of the last two at the Britannia Stadium.

• The Owls have progressed from two of their three League Cup ties v Stoke City, though this is their first meeting in this competition since September 1999.

• The Potters have progressed from nine of their last 10 League Cup ties against sides lower down the league pyramid than them.

• Sheffield Wednesday have seen off two Premier League sides so far, defeating Newcastle in round three and Arsenal in round four.

• Stoke have alternated between being knocked out and progressing in their last six League Cup games at home.

• The Owls have won twice in their last three away games in the League Cup, losing in the other to Manchester City.

iEd8hiX.png

My prediction: We will smash all the plates, drink all their beer and win at football. 2-0 to the Owls!

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

"It will be cold and there will be rain probobably. It's not a good day to go to the football. There will be 4,000 fans in the rain and cold and they pay for a ticket to see us play. This means we must play to them. It happened at Blackburn on Saturday and it will happen again. We must play to all the fans. We will give 300%, give everything on the pitch and we will do that."

MINTYNESS

Taylor Swift undefeated cup run gif will not let us down!

heUvKlx.gif

Best OMDT ever.

Well done pauli...!

Love the song.

Love Tay Tay.

Did you know I met her and her parents in a Glasgow hotel - lovely girl (F Off Sam)

Going for 6-5 on penalties after holding them to 1-1 AET.

See you all there boys and girlies.

C'MON LADS...!

UTO

Best OMDT ever.

Well done pauli...!

Love the song.

Love Tay Tay.

Did you know I met her and her parents in a Glasgow hotel - lovely girl (F Off Sam)

Going for 6-5 on penalties after holding them to 1-1 AET.

See you all there boys and girlies.

C'MON LADS...!

UTO

Grand Central?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest minsk owl

BRILLIANT !!!  LOVIN' IT  ........  BEST ONE EVER 

Let's do it !!   2-1       Big John to get the winner, from high in the sky

post-38035-0-32067700-1448928722.jpg

This one's mega Pauli. Excellent!

Can we stick with the Rocksteady vibe and have "Pressure Drop" as the next Matchday Song?

Toots and the Maytals?

Of course!

We will need an expert in Jamaican music tho'

Oh, look: http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/208774-paulis-roots-reggae-dub-from-outer-space-and-lovers-thread/

Shameless promotion.

Edited by pauli

Told this story before but what the heck. 16th November 1963 at the old Victoria ground.

There with my Dad as a 13 year old, we had to be in with a great chance of a win on form... They were crap and we were, we were Wednesday. So you can imagine the disappointment on my face as we were quickly 2-0 down. My thoughts drifted to the little man in the white coat at the Lane as he would have gleefully pranced along the front of the cricket scoreboard to inform the United hordes that Wednesday were 2-0 down inside half an hour.

The pain didn't ease as after Layne reduced the arrears Ritchie restored the two goal gap before half time. It got even worse too as Ritchie completed his hat trick just beyond the hour and by 75 minutes Owls fans began to drift away. I could see my Dad was of that mind too he had asked if I had had enough but I had seen quick successive goals before.

There couldn't have been more than 5 minutes left when Fantham slid Mark Pearson in for 4-2. 2 minutes later Pearson was at it again slamming in following a mix up. Stoke were all over the place Dobson crossed and Layne slid in for his second and 4-4. Not long to go, and indeed most of our fans had gone long before the comeback started. Then the last move of the match saw Alan Finney turn a ball inside to Fantham and from the edge of the area JF crashed a shot against the bar.

Almost immediately the whistle blew for full time. The Wednedayites sat waiting patiently on the train could not believe the tale that we diehards were bringing back.

Remember, no instant gratification   with the footy scores back in those days; Most Radios were valved as the new fangled transistors had not quite caught on. The smallest at the time was the Bush it stood about 15" long 5" deep and 10" high it needed an external battery and though it was OK for the beach listening to cricket one could hardly cart such a monstrosity to the match.

Back to the train... The fans who had left thought our tale of the great comeback was some sort of conspiracy and they patently refused to believe until they were able to get themselves a Green-Un as they left the station in Sheffield. 

I dislike Stoke, not only because they play in red and white stripes

I'm sure there are other reasons but I can't think of them at the moment

I dislike Mark Hughes too

2-1 to The Wednesday, Lee and Joao

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.