Charlton vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Football time!

Last game before the international break and we have the chance to make it 12 games undefeated. Can we do it? of course we can. 

We are Sheffield Wednesday and we are on our way back! So, without further ado let me tell you about...

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Astronauts Charlton, Landon and Dodge are in deep hibernation when their spaceship crashes in a lake on an unknown planet after a 18 month, near light speed interstellar voyage. They throw an inflatable raft from the ship and climb down into it. Charlton notes that the ships clock shows the date as 7th of November, 3978 -  2006 years after their departure in 1972.

Landing their raft, the astronauts set off in hope of finding food and water before their provisions run out. They find an oasis at the edge of the desert and go swimming, ignoring strange and eerie scarecrow-like figures. While they are swimming, their clothes are stolen. Pursuing the thieves, the astronauts find their clothes torn to shreds, their supplies pillaged and the perpetrators - a group of mute, primitive humans dressed in rags, now raiding a cornfield. Charlton is attracted to one of the females, who he later names Nova.

Suddenly, armed uniformed gorillas on horseback charge through the cornfield, brandishing firearms, snares and nets. They capture some humans and kill the rest. Dodge is shot in the back and killed. Landon is wounded and rendered unconscious. Charlton is shot in the throat and taken prisoner. The gorillas take Charlton to Ape City, where his life is saved after a blood transfusion administered by two chimpanzees, the animal psychologist Zira and surgeon Galen. While his wound is healing, he is unable to speak.

Charlton discovers that the various apes, who can talk and are in control, are in a strict caste system: gorillas are the police, military, hunters and workers; orangutans are administrators, politicians, lawyers and priests; chimpanzees are intellectuals and scientists. The apes have developed into a primitive society similar to the beginning of the human Industrial Era. They have rifles, ride horses, carts, and even primitive photography.

Humans are believed by the apes to be unable to talk, considered vermin and are hunted  - either killed outright, enslaved or used in scientific experiments. Zira and her fiancé Cornelius, an archaeologist, take an interest in Charlton.

VPB01iu.jpg

Charlton steals Zira's pencil and notebook and uses it to write the message “My name is Charlton”. Zira and Cornelius become convinced that Charlton is intelligent but upon learning this, Dr. Zaius orders that he be castrated. Charlton escapes but is quickly recaptured by gorillas and brought back to Ape City.

A tribunal to determine Charlton's origins is convened by Dr. Zaius and Maximus. Dr. Honorious is the prosecutor. Charlton mentions his two comrades. The court produces Landon, who has been subjected to a lobotomy that has rendered him unable to speak.

After the tribunal, Dr. Zaius privately threatens to castrate and lobotomize Charlton if he does not tell the truth about where he came from. With help from Zira's rebellious nephew Lucius, Zira and Cornelius free Charlton and Nova, taking them to the Forbidden Zone, a region outside Ape City that has been out of bounds for centuries.

Now free, Charlton and Nova follow the shoreline and discover the partly covered remains of the Houses of Parliament, revealing that this "alien" planet is actually the Earth long after a global nuclear war. Charlton falls to his knees in despair and anger, his cries condemning humanity for destroying the world.

NECn8x3.png

Soon after, he cheers up a bit though. Charlton sets about reforming his beloved Addicks and rebuilding the Valley ground.

And that’s how we will come to be playing them sometime in a distant future.

THE SERIOUS BIT

xVsUL13.png

Venue: The Valley, Landan
Kick Off: Saturday 7th of November at 15:00

Matchday Apparel: Away shirt.

Matchday Drink: Bleedin’ Watney’s Red Barrel again.

Matchday Pie: Chips.

Matchday Song: Black Dog by Dread Zeppelin...

MATCHDAY FACTS

Charlton look set to be without Jordan Cousins and Johann Berg Gudmundsson. The midfield duo were both injured as the Addicks slipped to a fifth straight defeat, and a 12th game without a win, against MK Dons on Tuesday night. Ahmed Kashi (heel), Igor Vetokele (groin) and Cristian Ceballos (fibula) remain on the sidelines. Interim head coach Karel Fraeye is also set to cut short Conor McAleny's loan spell from Everton after hauling the young forward off at half-time in midweek.

Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Alex Lopez could make his first appearance since sustaining a thigh injury in early October. The Spaniard has missed the last six matches but could return to head coach Carlos Carvalhal's squad as the Owls bid to extend their unbeaten run to 12 games in all competitions.

Winger Modou Sougou is still out after dislocating his shoulder and Portuguese forward Marco Matias faces several more weeks on the sidelines following a hernia operation. Defender Michael Turner (knee) will play no part, while recent loan signing Gary Hooper is hoping to feature. The striker has made one late substitute's appearance since arriving from Norwich at the end of last month.

ulCrF.pngHead to Head48pAkj8.png

• Charlton are unbeaten in four against the Owls, though three have been draws (W1).

• Both sides have won a league high three points when scoring goals after the 89th minute.

• Charlton have failed to score in their last five league matches - their worst run since September 1922. They are the only team that have failed to score in six league matches in a row in the top four tiers this season.

• Wednesday striker Atdhe Nuhiu has given away the most free kicks in the Championship (37 fouls conceded) - five more than any other player.

MYlHtxU.png

My prediction: We are going to hammer this lot today. Something between 4 and 6 goals for us, nowt for them.

MINTYNESS

Down to the valley!

iLy7r3H.gif

Edited by pauli

Best OMDT ever.

Well done pauli...!

Love the match day song.

Genuinely hope we go one up as then fàll over, fall down, feign injury and just generally time waste until 90 mins are up.

0-1

Nuhiu

C'MON LADS...!

UTO

Guest minsk owl

Not Watney's again !!,  can't be doin'

Going for 2 - 0,  with Bannan to finally get one .........  ( keep sayin' it long enough, it's bound to happen eventually )

post-38035-0-82757000-1446855113_thumb.j

Top match day thread Pauli. Today we will have the ball when we want it and let them have a kick when we feel like it. We'll win this by 3 and Hooper will want one of them in the last 10 minutes after he comes on. Charlton are no mugs, its just the way we play now.

Evening.

Nice one Pauli.  Planet of the Apes though,  :biggrin:

After what can only be described as a great start to the campaign ..  

But I think we may have pushed it too far for this one.  Charlton are near the bottom and will no doubt scrap it out.   

So I'm going 5-0 Wednesday.  Forestieri, Bannan, Joao, Hooper and Lees the scorers.

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

I really want a glass of whatever you drink Pauli Superb.

Did you REALLY type the words "12 games undefeated"?

0-3. Derby lost. Hull v Midds and a few other stinkers for the top 7, and there could be some very exciting tables tomorrow evening.

Edited by Holmowl

Superb work as per usual Pauli!

Got a job interview in London on Tuesday, travelling down on Monday and staying with my grandparents for a few nights. I really wish I had checked the fixture list when I booked my train tickets, I would have traveled down on the Friday instead and fitted this match in! My disorganisation is costing me easy away trips. First Rotherham, now this!

If I regret not going to this game as much as Rotherham, we're in for a treat tomorrow!

UTO!

*fires up Planet of the Apes movie marathon*

I've recently got my hands on all 5. Brilliant!

One can never have enough Roddy McDowell. That's always been my motto and I see no reason to change now.

Cheers Pauli.

Morning all, hope your keeping well. Just loving the fact that I'm always looking forward to the next match. Two week break is going to be serious cold turkey but I dare say the players will be looking forward to it. One last push before a bit of a lie down. C'arn you Blue n White Legends.

One day I'm going to be first to reply to the OMDT. One day.

I consider Charlton a bit of a bogey team. Can't see us losing tomorrow, but might be a bit trickier than it looks on paper.

Would be a massive 3 points to bring back up the M1 before the break.

C'mon. UTO.

One day I'm going to be first to reply to the OMDT. One day.

I consider Charlton a bit of a bogey team. Can't see us losing tomorrow, but might be a bit trickier than it looks on paper.

Would be a massive 3 points to bring back up the M1 before the break.

C'mon. UTO.

To be first reply in an OMDT is a worthy life goal. Think I once heard Anthony Robins talk about it. Inspiring scenes.

Great work s ever Pauli, provided we are on our game we should win this, but these are the sort of banana skins where we have messed up in the past.

Three points should see us in the top six so I'm going for an edgy 2-1 win to the lads.