Russia, St Petersburg and Moscow

clud17

I've never heard anyone say anything nice about Moscow - I'd go to Veliky Novgorod instead, which has recommended to me a few times. Also the Luzhniki is closed at the moment as it is being redeveloped for the World cup, but Spartak's new stadium has opened.

Edited by owls89

I've never heard anyone say anything nice about Moscow - I'd go to Veliky Novgorod instead, which has recommended to me a few times. Also the Luzhniki is closed at the moment as it is being redeveloped for the World cup, but Spartak's new stadium has opened.

Good or bad Moscow has been on the bucket list for a long time. Interesting to hear about Veliky Novogorod though. This may be a stop off opportunity or a little detour on the train between Moscow and St Petersburg.

Looking at a few other travel sites there are mixed opinions. Some say spend more time in St Petersburg some say split your time between both. Most of them suggest 3-4 days in each and that there are plenty of things to do and see if you look outside of the main tourist path. I'm considering adding a day and having 4 nights in each city now.

I've had a look at the Russian fixtures too and could catch a game in both cities if i want.

Looks like the rough guide or lonely planet guide is going on the xmas list

Good or bad Moscow has been on the bucket list for a long time. Interesting to hear about Veliky Novogorod though. This may be a stop off opportunity or a little detour on the train between Moscow and St Petersburg.

If you're interested in history, Novgorod was the capital of the kingdom of Rus and is seen as one of the most significant cities in the Orthodox church's history in Russia. Certainly worth a stop-off if you're passing through.

If you're interested in history, Novgorod was the capital of the kingdom of Rus and is seen as one of the most significant cities in the Orthodox church's history in Russia. Certainly worth a stop-off if you're passing through.

looks like a train from Moscow to Novgorod and the a 2 hour bus to St Petersburg is the option there. I love a good bit of history but not really religion and churches. My interests are in Military history, struggle and revolution.