Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup

A random wikepdia rollercoaster ride had me clicking on the page for this competition. 

The fourth oldest cup competition in the world behind the FA Cup, Scottish FA Cup and the East of Scotland Shield.

A few things that caught my eye:

We are the most successful winners with 14 titles. Close behind us are 

Frickley Athletic - 13

Worksop Town - 12

Sheffield United - 10

The competition is open to qualifying members at levels 5-11 of the pyramid. Now it wasn't always like that or we would never have won it. I'm not sure when it changed to level 5 or lower but what I was wondering is would we ever be able to enter a team even as a top two level side, perhaps the U-21 side or a more traditional reserve B team? For the under-21's it would be a tall order admittedly as it would for the most part be men against boys. But I think it would be nice to try and remain as the most successful club. Do the club even consider these type of competitions at the development stage or are our hands tied with what we can do?

The list of venues also caught my eye. The first run of finals being held at Bramall Lane, for obvious reasons I imagine. These were held thousands of years ago in the 1800's . After the war it looks like the final venue was chosen at random with the odd sporadic appearance at Hillsborough, Bramall Lane, Oakwell and Millmoor mixed in with some random street names. Since the mid 1990's the final has been held for the most part year upon year at Hillsborough. Bucking that trend, last year New York Stadium was the host. This got me thinking if New York Stadium will become the new regular host or will it be rotated/picked at random again?

Would you like to see a Wednesday team represented at this level? I am pretty sure the likes of Derby County and Chesterfield enter the equivalent Derbyshire tournament. Thoughts?

I thought the county cup had (back in the day) compulsory entry for SY senior clubs.

It did - but clubs could pay a fee to withdrew - and they did.

Last played in 92/93.

I think a Senior Cup with U21 teams of Football League sides and sides from Levels 5-10 of the pyramid would be great IMO.

went to a few county cup matches back in the day ,the standout being a 2-1 win at the lane around 76 ish with tom macallister chucking one in his own net ......dont see the point of putting out a side now to play the likes of frickley .

There's some very good teams at that level. I wouldn't like to put money on our U-21's to beat too many of them. Unless you meant because they'd beat an SWFC U-21 team and knock the confidence kind of thing.

There's some very good teams at that level. I wouldn't like to put money on our U-21's to beat too many of them. Unless you meant because they'd beat an SWFC U-21 team and knock the confidence kind of thing.

if we won it they´d be no kudos and if we got knocked out by some level 7 team all we´d get is ridicule ......what could a young pro possibly gain from playing against  some fat 30 something  part timer bloke who´s been round the block and could dine out with is mates saying "did you see me do young stobbs" ....its a non a runner

if we won it they´d be no kudos and if we got knocked out by some level 7 team all we´d get is ridicule ......what could a young pro possibly gain from playing against some fat 30 something part timer bloke who´s been round the block and could dine out with is mates saying "did you see me do young stobbs" ....its a non a runner

You don't see a lot of non-league football do you?

They'd be very good matches - as they are in pre-season.

Lots of clubs do it around the country -Derby's U21s play in the Derbyshire Senior Cup

You don't see a lot of non-league football do you?

They'd be very good matches - as they are in pre-season.

Lots of clubs do it around the country -Derby's U21s play in the Derbyshire Senior Cup

well i used to watch mexboro back in there yorkshire league days  ..... but whats to be gained from pitting young pro´s against these sort of clubs ? ....they may be good matches for the likes of frickley or whoever but what possible good would it do wednesday .

My step brother played County Senior League football - lot of blokes who had played Conference Level or just below at the end of their careers and young lads coming through. Good standard and you got to see the glamorous parts of South Yorkshire and err Mexborough. Could have a beer watching the game as well