Skiing 2015/2016

Any skiers out there on Owlstalk?  Where you heading this winter?

Just about to book to go to Les Arcs for last week of January.  Anybody got some good recommendations for Les Arc?

I liked Les Arcs.  I'd rather go to Tignes given the opportunity though.

Just not bothered...

I liked Les Arcs. I'd rather go to Tignes given the opportunity though.

Depends what you like.

The Espace Killy is the best ski area and Tignes is better placed but val has an incredible nightlife.

I prefer La Plagne because the Paradiski is amazing with the link to Les Arcs and it is ski in/out

I liked Les Arcs.  I'd rather go to Tignes given the opportunity though.

Spent a bit of time in Tignes before, it's really good, but I like to try head to new resorts whenever possible.

Favourite place that I've skied in France so far is 3 Valleys for sure (have been to Val D'Isere, Chamonix, Alp D'Huez, Les Deux Alpes & Serre Che too)

That's why we thought Paradiski this year as haven't done it yet. 

Bez, how easy is it to get over to La Plagne from Les Arcs 2000 - looks quite a long way on piste maps...presumably its a good couple of hours?  Also are their fairly good bus connections between the two?

Bez, how easy is it to get over to La Plagne from Les Arcs 2000 - looks quite a long way on piste maps...presumably its a good couple of hours?  Also are their fairly good bus connections between the two?

You don't want to be getting a bus because it takes ages to go down to Bourg S.M.

There is a cable car across from one to the other and doesn't take long at all.  If I recall, I went from Plagne Centre to LA 2000 in about 40 mins non stop with no queues.

Just booked New Years away with the girlfriend in Scotland. 

Hoping to convince her to go for a day in Glencoe - but have heard snow is pretty poor in December up there!

Quick hit in Levi in early December as we're taking the kids to Lapland (SSSSHHHHH IT'S A SECRET).

Week in the 3V in January in our usual chalet, this year praying for anything other than sketchy, windslab snow.

Late season week probably either in the PdS or Dolomiti - basically chasing wherever the good snow is by that point.

Now Tom and Izzy are both skiing it's starting to get properly pricey though...

Quick hit in Levi in early December as we're taking the kids to Lapland (SSSSHHHHH IT'S A SECRET).

Week in the 3V in January in our usual chalet, this year praying for anything other than sketchy, windslab snow.

Late season week probably either in the PdS or Dolomiti - basically chasing wherever the good snow is by that point.

Now Tom and Izzy are both skiing it's starting to get properly pricey though...

Yeah I feel for you there! I struggle just getting myself out to the Alps twice a year, forget paying for two kids on top of that...

Where you staying in 3V?

Where you staying in 3V?

Above Les Menuires - there's a sexy little village at 2000m called Reberty. It has a cracking pub and is ski-in, ski-out, and perfect for the kids too.

We can usually get freshies off the top of the first lift of the day, and it's about 30 mins skiing from either Meribel or VT. Love it.

What type of skiers are you all?  Hors Piste?  Speed?  Flat on your arse?  Drunk on gluvine but ski down anyway like eDDie?

I have given up the off piste stuff - just don't enjoy it especially after I spend an hour digging out a lost ski last year...  

it is all about long fast descents for me.  Get to the furthest and highest point away from where I am staying and ski as much as I can uninterrupted.

Alpe d'Huez is one of my favourites.  Also the local small villages such as Vaujany are great value for money and child friendly.  They built a hydro power station a few years ago and offered the locals compensation.  Instead of taking the money they invested it in developing ski lift links to Alpe d'Huez so you can ski over a very large area and tour around.  Also the Sarenne from the top of Pic Blanc at 3300m is the longest black run in the world at around 10 miles.  You go through a tunnel through the top of the mountain, the upper bit inarrow and steep but the lower part is fairly easy ski-ing.....down to a great restaurant by the stream.  For on piste ski-ing it's a great resort.  Off piste is a bit limited unless you go on the helicopter and get dropped off somewhere.

What type of skiers are you all?  Hors Piste?  Speed?  Flat on your arse?  Drunk on gluvine but ski down anyway like eDDie?

I have given up the off piste stuff - just don't enjoy it especially after I spend an hour digging out a lost ski last year...  

it is all about long fast descents for me.  Get to the furthest and highest point away from where I am staying and ski as much as I can uninterrupted.

I love exploring off-piste and finding the last little bits of soft stuff.

Definitely more scared by high speeds on blues and reds than steep descents.

I tried to do park once...didn't end well.  I don't know how people muster up the bravery for it.

Alpe d'Huez is one of my favourites.  Also the local small villages such as Vaujany are great value for money and child friendly.  They built a hydro power station a few years ago and offered the locals compensation.  Instead of taking the money they invested it in developing ski lift links to Alpe d'Huez so you can ski over a very large area and tour around.  Also the Sarenne from the top of Pic Blanc at 3300m is the longest black run in the world at around 10 miles.  You go through a tunnel through the top of the mountain, the upper bit inarrow and steep but the lower part is fairly easy ski-ing.....down to a great restaurant by the stream.  For on piste ski-ing it's a great resort.  Off piste is a bit limited unless you go on the helicopter and get dropped off somewhere.

I thought the tunnel run was the other one from the top.

Skied Sarenne last year on a day trip from Les Deux Alpes and it was such a nice run, even enjoyed the ridiculously slow cable car back up after you finish in the valley.  Only criticism is that Sarenne was seriously overcrowded - was absolutely packed that day!

I thought the tunnel run was the other one from the top.

Skied Sarenne last year on a day trip from Les Deux Alpes and it was such a nice run, even enjoyed the ridiculously slow cable car back up after you finish in the valley.  Only criticism is that Sarenne was seriously overcrowded - was absolutely packed that day!

I think you're right, my mistake.  Both good runs though.

Sarenne has never been very full when I've been on it, but saying that I haven't been on it for a few year and always avoided the school holidays