RIP Ron Springett

Sheffield Wednesday are saddened to learn of the passing of the club’s legendary former goalkeeper Ron Springett.

Ron has passed away aged 80 following a short illness. 

The Londoner joined the Owls in 1958 from QPR and went on to make 384 senior appearances for Wednesday, earning 33 international caps for England along the way. 

Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Ron at this extremely difficult time.

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/ron-springett-1935-2015-2686227.aspx

Edited by FlyingOwl

Ironic that our next home game is against Fulham. On September 6th 1967 our centenary match was a 1st division game against Fulham. It was a Wednesday night and we won 4-2. Before the game a huge box of blue and white balloons was in the centre circle and it was Ron who came out on to the pitch to release them.

Along with Don Megson and John Ritchie, Ron was my first Hillsborough hero. RIP Ron WAWAW

He played a long time before I was born but everyone who I ever spoken to about him regarded him so highly.  I know some also regarded him as the better keeper than Banks back in the day too.  The fact he is a known name to younger fans is testament to the fact that he can be regarded as a true legend.  I know both my Grandad's (both sadly now gone) would have been really upset by this news, and neither of them were Owls.  Say's a lot really.  RIP Ron.  A legend a long time before I was born, and most likely to still be a legend a long time after I am gone.

Guest minsk owl

Sad, sad news ,  truly shocked. 

First Wednesday keeper i saw,  and still the finest.

The club need to do something in recognition

R.I.P Ron