Burnley vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

pauli

It's proper football time again and we are off across the Pennines to visit Burnley!

Burnley football club have always been one of the worst teams in the country. They have an intense, long-standing rivalry with Blackburn Rovers. The home ground Turf Moor was built largely out of mud, rocks, and some bits of string. Last season it was the smallest stadium in the Premier League, seating just 50 people. Burnley FC have a trophy cabinet holding prestige trophies for the 'We once finished 3 points above Blackburn Rovers' Award of Excellence, 'Least premiership money spent by a board of directors', and 'Best impersonators of Aston Villa' (1910 - 2015).

For all their faults, the people of Burnley are great composers. Forget them claiming in 1983 to be Scottish, Burnley is the real birthplace of The Proclaimers. The town was also home to Chumbawamba, whose major hit 'Tubthumbing', involved a man getting knocked down and getting up again and getting knocked down again and getting up again. Eventually the man complained about never being knocked down again.

BT1whN7.jpg

IMPORTANT

Burnley’s hoolie crew is called Suicide Squad and they are very, very nawty. Be careful today.

Their manager Sean Dyche used to be a WWE pro and doesn’t mind a bit of aggro either.

QZWrCgq.jpg

THE SERIOUS BIT

YIC0gBG.png

Venue: Turf Moor
Kick Off: Saturday the 12th of September at 15:00.

Matchday Apparel: Away shirt and an umbrella.

Matchday Drink: Claret.

Matchday Pie: You can order i-Pies on your smartphone at Burnley.

Matchday Song: Twist and Shout by Chaka Demus and Pliers.

MATCHDAY FACTS

Burnley's injury problems continue before the visit of Sheffield Wednesday. Lukas Jutkiewicz (cruciate ligament) joins a number of others on the sidelines, but Matt Lowton could make his debut after a shin injury.

Sheffield Wednesday skipper Glenn Loovens looks set to return after an ankle injury. Strikers Daniel Pudil and Fernando Forestieri and midfielder Barry Bannan could make debuts for the Owls.

s3O2Np8.png Head to Head 48pAkj8.png

• Burnley have scored in 10 consecutive games against Wednesday (W3 D5 L2).

• Wednesday are unbeaten in eight league games at Turf Moor (W4 D4).

• All three of Michael Keane's goals this season have been headers.

• The Clarets have scored more headed goals than any other Championship team this season (five of six).

• The Owls have kept just one clean sheet in their last 12 Championship away games.

• George Boyd has bagged five league goals against Sheffield Wednesday in his last three appearances against them.

Fl4a56D.png

MINTYNESS

imvDwLt.gif

Edited by pauli

Excellent stuff as we've come to expect Pauli. Unfortunately I was very lazy in getting hold of tickets and by the time I'd gotten round to it they'd sold out... In Manchester for the day so off to watch FC United in that fantastic new ground of theirs. Daresay I'll run into a few travelling owls on the train back to Sheffield. Optimistic for a decent result here, hopefully Wallace plays out of skin against his former club and I'm quite happy for Matias to sit there being innocuous as long as he continues with the goals. Would probably take a point if offered, could see the game turning out similar to our last game at Turf Moor, a 1-1 draw where we spend most of the afternoon frustrating the home side. No Chris Maguire on hand to score this time around though.

Burnley 1-1 Wednesday (Gray, Matias)

Hoping the international break has helped CC get his message across and we will start to show some cohesion.

Still have little idea what sort of team is going to lineup today - I wonder if our Head Coach knows either?

Soon find out - no real excuses from now on ...this one will be tough and I'll be happy with a draw

Great stuff Pauli. The Proclaimers - The John Majors of pop.

Burnley will score, but we will score one more. And it will be a wonder goal. And I wonder who will score it?

FF? MM? JJ?

Erm not JJ. I think FF will set the tone for the next nine months.

Welcome to the Owls Fernando. 

Come on Wednesday.