How did McGugan do?

A player that seems to be able to avoid criticism on here. I didn't go (boo, part time fan!) so I can't possibly comment on his performance, but how did he do? Barely heard his name mentioned on WP apart from his early shot and obviously got subbed off fairly early on second half. Did he go missing again like he did at Ipswich, or was his performance just average and he was a necessary casualty for a tactical change?

I'm sure there are plenty of other players worthy of slating over him, and this thread isn't an excuse to defend him blindly or slate him aimlessly... a genuine and thoughtful comment on his performance would be much appreciated

McGugan is the best player we have got, and I thought he was playing quite well first half. I'd be surprised if he wasn't brought off due to injury.

He plays too deep in this system. He should be 10 yards from the centre forward. As a team we are making the pitch look too big for us. We need to get more compact.

McGugan is the best player we have got, and I thought he was playing quite well first half. I'd be surprised if he wasn't brought off due to injury.

He plays too deep in this system. He should be 10 yards from the centre forward. As a team we are making the pitch look too big for us. We need to get more compact.

Exactly how I saw it.

This. He needs to be near the centre forward to link up. He'll be more creative and get goals that way.

Mcgugan seemed a little more shackled tonight. A lot of the time he was within a few yards of the centre line of the pitch. He is more dangerous getting the ball further forward and dictating the play high up, where his shooting ability is made useful.

I don't think I saw the midfield 3 communicate once with each other tonight. They all seemed to be playing as individuals which is not how we will develop as a team

I thought all three of our central midfielders were poor. Offered nothing and by far too deep.

Hutchinson has a great game and was involved in everything of note (admittedly which wasn't much) both offensively and defensively.  McGugan played well first half but Lopez and Matias were both very ineffective.