Tactics and the 'committee'

My understanding, having read how it works at Southampton, is that the role of the committee is to have already identified who will replace Carlos. There should be several people already identified in the event of a) Carlos failing and being sacked or b) being a massive success and being whisked away to say Southampton.

The same should also apply to players, so taking Mathias as the example, if he does really well and we receive a massive offer for him, we can sell knowing that we have several identified targets (as well as one player already at the club) who can slot straight into his role. Hence the importance of two players for each position.

The committees role is to ensure those future targets are identified and every aspect of their game and persona studied to ensure they are a fit.

We are at the very start of this process so it may not work immediately. the idea is that it ensures the long term stability of the club.

I thought the first paragraph was a joke at first... but then the rest kinda makes sense.

All I know is the people are always going on about how other countries are better. For years it was the Brazilians with their "Samba Football" then it was the Spanish with their "tika-taka" and now its the Germans with their total football. After every international tournament everyone harps on about how we are being left behind and should adopt other models. Particularly now that it seems that Germany and Spain have got their acts together not only on the international stage but on the domestic front as well.

For years we have tried the conventional approach and its gotten us nowhere. Now that we seem to be doing something new, a bit different and forward thinking, people are moaning once again. I wonder if these are the same people as I quoted above who want us to follow the German approach, which incidentally didnt just happen overnight and took years for the rewards.

We are too bogged down with the Championship Manager approach, one person in charge of everything, contracts, scouting, training, tactics, finances etc etc. I remember one PC game when I was a kid where you even chose the sponsors and designed the stadium upgrades. Being "just" the head coach wouldnt cut it for the manager gamers, not enough to do, and thats not how they signed Messi and Ronaldo and won back to back Champions Leagues. (even without the cheats enabled.)

Wednesday arent the only ones to change to this new model, and just like the German approach, might take some time before it begins to work. Most people have already made their minds up, however and see this as a failure from the off. I say we should embrace the change. Be thankful that we have a forward thinking chairman willing to take risks to hopefully move us onto the next level. Maybe soon we will be the ones with the system that other clubs are thinking about adopting. If we dont all get behind the players, coaching staff and chairman, then we may as will just stay in the past, all because of how you gain success on the virtual field.

i'm wasn't happy with the complete overhaul of a team who wanted some serious firepower to be competitive...

but, it's not my club, it's dc's, and he's every right to turn everything about completely if he so wishes...

it's not the new system v's the old one that's in question...

it's we haven't managed to do anything about the strikeforce yet, a major concern...

the players we have fetched in are far from proven at this level, have we landed some worldbeaters (on the cheap) or some more rhodri's, for folks to be pullin' themselves off over before he's kicked a ball twice 'cos he's from 'BARCA B'  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:...

add to that a head coach with the most (let's call it unusual) track record i've ever heard of in football...

and that maybe is why people are concerned...

the 'clappers' are only happy when their hands are sore, and would have been happy if pol pot had taken over...

i'd have personally chosen differently, the cheaper option of not going for a full overhaul, however...

the complete overhaul method is fine, except i figure to quote the german and spanish examples you'd have to accept that these are the equivalent to top end premier sides and above, and can afford the best coaches and players...

Something occurred to me last night about our new set-up that I don't really 'get'. Earlier in the summer when we sacked SG a lot of the 'modern football is awesome' crowd were explaining that the benefit of having a head coach and a committee instead of a normal manager was that you could sack and replace them without any disruption if necessary because the clubs 'philosophy' would be set by someone else, presumably the 'committee'.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by philosophy but presumably this would involve the formation we play in, the tactics, the type of players we sign etc. It can't just be as simple as 'play aggressive, attacking football' can it? Different managers would have very different ideas about how to achieve that rather vague aim.

What I don't really get is what Carvalhal's actual responsibilities are under such a system? Does he have any say over the formation we play in, the tactics we use etc or is his job simply to get the players to work effectively within a system that is handed down to him by the club? He seems to have his own very clear ideas about how football should be played as evidenced by his book, but was he chosen because these ideas fit in with what the club has already decided?

Given that Carvalhal is Head Coach I would guess his main role is either

A) To coach the team or

B) To carry the team to away games on his back

I can't imagine if SG was still part of ( if he ever was: moot point)  t'committee, that we would have acquired a load of portuguese players without any English experience. So IMO CC has had to have had the leading role in said committee.

said before, this almost in every way isn't the way I would've done it but we have to hope it'll work.  

CC is almost certainly is the fall guy and if he has indeed selected the players rightly so  

I hope he's in charge after xmas which will mean it has been thus far successful gamble

i'm wasn't happy with the complete overhaul of a team who wanted some serious firepower to be competitive...

but, it's not my club, it's dc's, and he's every right to turn everything about completely if he so wishes...

it's not the new system v's the old one that's in question...

it's we haven't managed to do anything about the strikeforce yet, a major concern...

the players we have fetched in are far from proven at this level, have we landed some worldbeaters (on the cheap) or some more rhodri's, for folks to be pullin' themselves off over before he's kicked a ball twice 'cos he's from 'BARCA B'  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:...

add to that a head coach with the most (let's call it unusual) track record i've ever heard of in football...

and that maybe is why people are concerned...

the 'clappers' are only happy when their hands are sore, and would have been happy if pol pot had taken over...

i'd have personally chosen differently, the cheaper option of not going for a full overhaul, however...

the complete overhaul method is fine, except i figure to quote the german and spanish examples you'd have to accept that these are the equivalent to top end premier sides and above, and can afford the best coaches and players...

Any semblance of an articular argument went out of the window as soon as you posted that...it wasn't any cogent football argument rather yet another diatribe purporting to explain to everyone that your view is the one that the " clappers " need to take notice of...as to your personal view that you would have chosen differently :laugh: Of course, given your vast experience in the football arena...we get it...you didn't want a foreign coach and players and anything else you post is only trying to justify your position... a position from the viewpoint of the ignorant...unless of course you can give us a better CV than the professionals who run our club

Edited by daveyboy66

Who decides "how we want to play"? Genuine question because the owner admits he knows nothing about football.

Do you honestly think that DC just decidedly to pick a random style of play without talking to the people he knows within football including members of his family business who have been involved in Man City and Reading as well as the football people in our club...or are you trying to imply that he is out of his depth in football and business in which case we can only draw conclusions as to your motives

That's probably what I should have said.

I've had enough drinks with you in the Park to know different...I'm just asking where you get these questions from...it's as if the chairman is someone who has no contacts in the world of football...and nothing could be further from the truth

I didn't ask you the question but, as you decided to jump in, why did you start this 'motive' nonsense?

I only know of Hill, Roeder and Senior. Do you know of more?

Well actually yes... he has a couple of people within the TUF company who have been on the board at MCFC and Reading... and PP was his spokesman at the press conferences...ALL of them have been involved in football...this is not just some random bloke racking up at a football club trying to wing it... I thought this was common knowledge????

Probably is but I didn't know .....I don't really dig that deep.

Well with all this 'knowledge' advising it makes the appointment on CC even more baffling in my opinion. No motive or anything and I hope he is a success but I still don't understand why he was seen as the best possible option. Guess we will find out soon enough.

It may be that CC doesn't hack it...but the ethos behind it means he will get someone who does if he doesn't it means that we actually have a plan instead of changing the whole plan every couple of years if we lose a manager who can't hack it

People there last night said the players seemed to be confused as to the "system" they were playing. We're playing so high up the pitch that Westwood better get ready for plenty of 1-1's with oppo strikers busting our flimsy off-side trap. How many games until we kick-off?

People there last night said the players seemed to be confused as to the "system" they were playing. We're playing so high up the pitch that Westwood better get ready for plenty of 1-1's with oppo strikers busting our flimsy off-side trap. How many games until we kick-off?

What did you think?