Scunthorpe United vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

Went last night and have left until now to summarise my thoughts (mainly because my phone battery ran out!).

CC is clearly looking for 'total football' with quick counter attacking moves.

The players have taken that to mean 'keep ball,'get it to the channels and then surrender possession. Whilst leaving the defence to face The Alamo.

Someone mentioned it in the match day thread, but I lost count of the amount of times we had chance to deliver a ball in to the box, but chose to pass sideways or backwards.

I'm unsure if this was CC instructions or the players' indecisveness.

We have a lot of frustration to endure. I hope I'm wrong, but the system is going to be exposed over and over again, UNLESS we manage to put the ball in the net before the attack breaks down.

Good opposition wingers are going to have a field day if they break quickly.

I know this is all based on one pre season friendly, but I saw the system and it's flawed.

UTO :biggrin:

Likewise being there & that's pretty accurate mate. Reminded me of watching England but with far less time on the ball than they have, so Scunny knew it would go sideways, put us under pressure & we slipped up. Wallace is a good player but left Palmer isolated a lot. Otherwise, plenty to do with 9 days until season! You could see glimpses & patches of what might become a decent team though. Why Westwood kept firing it up middle to no-one was strange & Nuhiu was himself again. A moment of good skill, then a moment of Norman Wisdom. M18 being shut capped it all off!

Went last night and have left until now to summarise my thoughts (mainly because my phone battery ran out!).

CC is clearly looking for 'total football' with quick counter attacking moves.

The players have taken that to mean 'keep ball,'get it to the channels and then surrender possession. Whilst leaving the defence to face The Alamo.

Someone mentioned it in the match day thread, but I lost count of the amount of times we had chance to deliver a ball in to the box, but chose to pass sideways or backwards.

I'm unsure if this was CC instructions or the players' indecisveness.

We have a lot of frustration to endure. I hope I'm wrong, but the system is going to be exposed over and over again, UNLESS we manage to put the ball in the net before the attack breaks down.

Good opposition wingers are going to have a field day if they break quickly.

I know this is all based on one pre season friendly, but I saw the system and it's flawed.

UTO :biggrin:

Kind of agree with you. 

The system is flawed, in my opinion, because we still need key players in key players.

For example, Jeremy Helen at left worries me the life out of me. Positionally, he's garbage. He cant defend. He uses his pace to get him out of trouble but he cant do that every time. He cant play football. He will hinder Matias becoming an absolute legend at Hillsborough if he's at left back all season. There were so many occasion when Matias tried to play a give and go with him and he chose to go back inside. 

Semedo... I love the bloke but he'll be a weak link in this side. Dilly dallys on the ball too much. Want 6 or 7 touches before his head comes up. I hope Melo is going to be used in his role moving forward. 

Lopez... He only ever had the ball smack bang in front of our back 4. He didnt impose himself on the game. I dont he was allowed to by the system. Looked to want a lot of time on the ball and seemed to be rushed by their players. 

Matias looks like he has something about. The player i was most excited about last night was Wallace. I think he's going to be class this season. Jack Hunt will be great but we're constantly 1 stray pass in midfield away from him being totally out of the game... We desperately need a mobile striker than run the channels and play on the shoulder. 

Its the first i've seen in pre season so it was based on last nights game only.