Training Ground Improvements

The EIS is quoted to have world class facilities; it made (and still makes) financial sense to use it. People talk about a club like ours "not having spinning facilities/classes and such" (to paraphrase) but what financial sense wouldn't make to install such facilities and employ someone when there are gyms providing such classes/facilities at Hillsborough Leisure centre and Fitness First - both around a mile (probably less) from our training ground.

It would cost an arm and a leg to set up massive gyms at Middlewood Road. We should set up an appropriately sized and equipped gym in a modern building that can be expanded and then utilise EIS for the time being. To compare us with Man City is ridiculous.

The EIS does have world class facilities. And to be able to use them is great

I used spinning bikes as an example because I saw Palmer using one in a gym to aid his recovery/build fitness. It would make financial sense to make these available to our players. Our players should have a fully functioning gym available to them. That's basic at any football club at this level and above. I didn't say we had to hire someone to run spinning classes, though I'm sure we have enough fitness experts on board at the club qualified to run them. I just used spinning as an example. Having seen the gym for my own eyes...it's pretty grim. They've only recently purchased one of those anti-gravity treadmills, an absolute must for any team that includes a physiotherapy section. 

I never said we need something to the scale of Manchester City, in fact I reiterated this point several times. What I'm saying is that we're so behind on most levels of our club. Our training ground hasn't even got the basics right for modern day football. Can't train on it when it rains, if it rains heavily the pitches are un-workable for a while. The dome is poo poo. Luckily that's being sorted. 

If Chansiri's vision is to make us an all singing all dancing football club we need serious investment on and off the pitch. This is why I understand the prices. We're so far behind it's scary.

The EIS does have world class facilities. And to be able to use them is great

I used spinning bikes as an example because I saw Palmer using one in a gym to aid his recovery/build fitness. It would make financial sense to make these available to our players. Our players should have a fully functioning gym available to them. That's basic at any football club at this level and above. I didn't say we had to hire someone to run spinning classes, though I'm sure we have enough fitness experts on board at the club qualified to run them. I just used spinning as an example. Having seen the gym for my own eyes...it's pretty grim. They've only recently purchased one of those anti-gravity treadmills, an absolute must for any team that includes a physiotherapy section. 

I never said we need something to the scale of Manchester City, in fact I reiterated this point several times. What I'm saying is that we're so behind on most levels of our club. Our training ground hasn't even got the basics right for modern day football. Can't train on it when it rains, if it rains heavily the pitches are un-workable for a while. The dome is poo poo. Luckily that's being sorted. 

If Chansiri's vision is to make us an all singing all dancing football club we need serious investment on and off the pitch. This is why I understand the prices. We're so far behind it's scary.

Sorry Flying - it wasn't a dig at you; I generally agree with the points you made in this thread and I believe that we're on similar wavelengths in terms of the size of the facilities required. I was just trying to add to the conversation but,as normal, did so in my heavy handed way.

Who's is bigger?

Rotherham's is bigger.

Didn't see Bristol City's or Bolton's mind.

The rest were bigger in terms of land.

Rotherham don't have a training ground of their own? If you drive past the site they claim is their training ground then it is derelict and hasn't been used since they bought it all they've done is put up a sign, I believe they still use Parkgate FC and Dearne Valley College.

Rotherham don't have a training ground of their own? If you drive past the site they claim is their training ground then it is derelict and hasn't been used since they bought it all they've done is put up a sign, I believe they still use Parkgate FC and Dearne Valley College.

Only looked on google maps. Fair enough if I'm wrong.

Ours is still poo mind.

Rotherham use Parkgate and the Graham Solley Sports centre which is owned the Hallam University. The facilites are far better than ours as they dont have one 3G pitch but two. Bigger and better facilities than us other than they dont have an indoor facility. You can also say that Leeds dont own their training ground but the facilities and size are far bigger and better than ours.

Rotherham use Parkgate and the Graham Solley Sports centre which is owned the Hallam University. The facilites are far better than ours as they dont have one 3G pitch but two. Bigger and better facilities than us other than they dont have an indoor facility. You can also say that Leeds dont own their training ground but the facilities and size are far bigger and better than ours.

But by that reasoning we use the EIS with some of the best sporting facilities and sports science and medical staff in the country, we also have strong links with Hallam University using a lot of their sports science facilities and we have used the swimming facilities in hillsborough.

Its very fragmented though. EIS one day Virgin gym another day Goodwin Sports Centre another day and Hillsborough baths another. Its a bit like planning a weeks holiday with the kids. Maybe even a bit of time on the swings and slide in Hillsborough Park. Not forgetting Greno Woods.

This.

The point is we should have nearly everything available in house.

The only thing that tends to be reserved for the absolute elite is swimming pools etc on site. Otherwise we should have a fully functioning gym and physiotherapy area. 

Surely the sooner that the new academy gets built the better? That way all the kids will be moved out of the main training ground and it can be solely used for first team +/- development team. We can then redevelop the existing training ground and buildings at the main site