Stadiums under construction thread

So, going by this photo taken a few weeks back they have just had a Desso pitch installed, yet according to Karren Brady in that video they're going to rip it up after the Rugby WC and install a new Desso pitch.

Brilliant.

Yep - Desso pitch fitted for seven RWC games - then ripped up and a new one put down for West Ham.

All paid for by the taxpayer.

Had my doubts over West Ham moving into the Olympic Stadium but having watched this I've changed my mind.

Will be fantastic for them & could really help them become one of the bigger teams in this country again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=292&v=ILsJ3xfrczM

Two points regarding this stadium.

1) even with retractable seats, the mock up makes the stands still seem like miles from the pitch.

2) "Come on you Irons." Does anyone refer to West Ham as The Irons?

Yep - Desso pitch fitted for seven RWC games - then ripped up and a new one put down for West Ham.

All paid for by the taxpayer.

didnt i read somewhere that desso pitches are "replaced" yearly everywhere? by replaced i mean - the soil and grass is brushed away (the desso grass remains) and new soil is put down and new grass grown.

2) "Come on you Irons." Does anyone refer to West Ham as The Irons?

I think they've always traditionally called themselves The Irons - they were originally Thames Ironworks. I'd grown up thinking of them as the Hammers, but when I first went there in the mid-'90s I was surprised that everything in and around the stadium referred to them as the Irons.

It's similar with their current stadium. Its called the Boleyn Ground, but most people call it Upton Park.

Guest Grez Bez

cant see West Ham becoming a top six club regardless of playing at the Olympic Stadium. Not a big enough fan base.

Plus they are in London so will get loads of 'new fans' when they move