Stadiums under construction thread

26 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't get why they need 22,000 capacity when they haven't had over 5,000 for years and even when they were last in the Championship they only got 10,000. 

I saw a quote from the guy who had objected, saying how they hadn't regularly got more 5,000 for games in years, but I had a look at their pre-pandemic average gates and they were actually a bit better than he said, mostly around 7,000. Doesn't affect his general point though: a 22,000 capacity stadium is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I saw a quote from the guy who had objected, saying how they hadn't regularly got more 5,000 for games in years, but I had a look at their pre-pandemic average gates and they were actually a bit better than he said, mostly around 7,000. Doesn't affect his general point though: a 22,000 capacity stadium is ridiculous.

Yeah, they were averaging 6-7,000 in League One but even League One seems a long way off for them now. 15K would surely be more than enough given they couldn't get close to that in the Championship.

Remember Darlington moving into a new ground that was way bigger than what they needed and caused them heaps of problems. They'd be better off with a smaller ground that looks quite full and could be developed if needs be in the future rather than a home ground that will always be a 3rd full at best.    

51 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I thought the same but the plans have been approved this week and perhaps key to it is that the site will include over 180 new homes and the old ground will also be redeveloped into 500 homes. 

Probably is - the site will include a hotel with 107 rooms.

Don't get why they need 22,000 capacity when they haven't had over 5,000 for years and even when they were last in the Championship they only got 10,000. 

Presumably for concerts and the like?

2 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Presumably for concerts and the like?

Not sure it helps the team though, playing to an empty soulless stadium every home game. Will this stadium put Southend on the map for outdoor gigs? 

I went to the Kassam a couple of times when I was at uni, soon after it had opened, and remember thinking it would probably be fairly decent once they'd finished it with the final stand. I never realised that they weren't actually going to ever build it.

11 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Crikey that would be a short lived ground 

It'll be 25 years, the end of the initial lease term, when and if they move.

I don't know if this is their choice or whether the landlord doesn't want a renewal.

5 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I went to the Kassam a couple of times when I was at uni, soon after it had opened, and remember thinking it would probably be fairly decent once they'd finished it with the final stand. I never realised that they weren't actually going to ever build it.

Some palm trees and giant sauce bottles make an excellent replacement for a stand.

BigScreenGosford.png

• Haha 3

I was told this by a Swindon fan so hardly the best source for Oxford information but he said there was a weird EFL rule that meant if Oxford built 3 sides they would have to pay for the other. Problem was Oxford got relegated from the EFL before the deadline to build it so they missed out. 

I’m not sure why the EFL would have had a rule like that doesn’t make a lot of sense but then again it’s the EFL so could be true.