News incoming?!

I'm disappointed because I think he's one of the very few players we have/had who could make something happen.

Perhaps he could've thrived in CC's possible 4-3-3 formation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Maguire, Maghoma, Madine, Mattock and Buxton have their moments in the championship next season but it's time for us to try to move to the next level and most if not all of the players mentioned would probably not have helped us take that next step?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

I think it's all about who we replace him.

It's another place to fill, which means we'll be even busier looking for someone, and you'd think that we're pretty busy at the moment.

(Unless a player is already lined up... Well, we should have some wide men targeted already really and ready to sign)

Your right let bring back Maghoma, Buxton, Mattock and Maguire...lets fight the drop again.

Did I say anything about bringing them back? I'm pleased they have left I was simply implying we seem to potentially be turning into more of a team with foreign players rather than British.

Did I say anything about bringing them back? I'm pleased they have left I was simply implying we seem to potentially be turning into more of a team with foreign players rather than British.

Who cares though?

Would you swap with Watford for some of their players?

Can't help thinking we are trying to be too clever with recruitment. Unless he was asking for silly money, Maguire was worth a contract. This apparent obsession with random overseas unknowns smacks of a scouting team schooled on Championship manager, and getting carried away.

Our first signing, without a shadow of a doubt should have been McGugan. Maybe that didn't excite the creative juices of a committee that has to prove it's worth, and be seen to be thinking outside the box.

Agree with every word of that.

Thing is with Maguire, you knew what you were going to get. Our recruitment policy appears to be one huge gamble, not dissimilar to Leeds last season.

When you overhaul like we had too its all a gamble to some extent. Shame we can't just stick with mid table bang average domestic mediocrity. It's so warm and cosy and familiar.

When you overhaul like we had too its all a gamble to some extent. Shame we can't just stick with mid table bang average domestic mediocrity. It's so warm and cosy and familiar.

Only time will tell. The Championship is a tough old slog, and players like Maguire are coarse and distance. We will have to spend quite a lot, and be very lucky, to find better than Maguire, in the market we appear to be in. Personally, I would have kept him, and focused elsewhere.

Reduced terms?? Fans have paid over 25% for everything this season. It would be nice it being spent on something other than the pitch, As someone said on another thread, if I have to watch another youtube video of some random foreign lad who we will eventually not sign!

1. Reduced terms - how do you know what was offered? If the club agreed with some posters that he needed to be retained, they would have made more of an effort to keep him.

2. Fans have paid over 25% for everything this season. How have you arrived at that figure?

3. "...if I have to watch another YouTube video of some random foreign lad who we will eventually not sign."  Who is forcing you to watch the YouTube videos? If you choose to believe what you read then, by definition, that is your choice. 

With McGugan, I got the feeling that he was keeping his options open for a full move here. What with the takeover, he maybe thought that he'd get paid what he thinks he deserves.

He also knows a few of the players obviously, the set up, not too far for him etc, so all these things aren't new to him - which means he can hold out and see what other offers come in, and come to us if we're the best offer.

(( All based on if we actually want him that is ))

Quite disappointed about McGuire, as the squad currently stands there was still a need for him, maybe he knows better might be coming along? As for Kirkland, would have liked him to stay as was a very good back up but can't say I blame him and good luck to him!