News incoming?!

We have ZERO wingers lol

We spent most of last season in a similar position. There was a right footed central player on the left with his only competition coming from left back and a striker on the right with no obvious reserve much of the time. Players were drafted in from all over the rest of the squad to fill in at numerous times. Pretty shambolic really.

Starting to wonder if we are leaving ourselves too much to do in one window..,

Your not on your own mate. We are going to have to integrate a lot of new players into the squad in a very short space of time ,and as seems likely a lot of them will be foreign imports, then they also have to get settled in this country with only a month till the season starts.  

We spent most of last season in a similar position. There was a right footed central player on the left with his only competition coming from left back and a striker on the right with no obvious reserve much of the time. Players were drafted in from all over the rest of the squad to fill in at numerous times. Pretty shambolic really.

Agreed.

Gonna be a big ask firstly to sign a large number of players, then secondly to bed them in before the season kicks off.

Yes it's a concern, we bemoaned the fact that the likes of May suffered because they were new to this league, and never had a full pre season Now we could have a dozen players in that position, which isn't really the best preparation

Guest kaibenson98

Slightly better goals to games ratio the Antonio I think, Maguire averaged 1 goal every 4 games, think he would have been a good squad player, sad to see him go.

Certainly need to get a move on with the incomings By my reckoning, that's 14 players OUT and 2 players IN

I think the key thing there is that we haven't really lost any regular starters. You could argue Maguire but for us to move forward we'd have liked to have seen him as merely a squad player. That's ultimately echoed in his reduced terms, short offer.

Kirkland is naturally the biggest loss but hopefully we can bring someone in to compete at the same intensity.

The rest were fringe players with no hope of getting a regular slot. I'm with you that we need replacements but it's worth noting the likes of Melo and Bus were signed in January when they came available. They were hardly essential signings in January.

We still need a Goalkeeper, left back, four wingers, a central midfielder and a striker. 

I think the key thing there is that we haven't really lost any regular starters. You could argue Maguire but for us to move forward we'd have liked to have seen him as merely a squad player. That's ultimately echoed in his reduced terms, short offer.

Kirkland is naturally the biggest loss but hopefully we can bring someone in to compete at the same intensity.

The rest were fringe players with no hope of getting a regular slot. I'm with you that we need replacements but it's worth noting the likes of Melo and Bus were signed in January when they came available. They were hardly essential signings in January.

We still need a Goalkeeper, left back, four wingers, a central midfielder and a striker.

Yes I would agree with you there, a lot of the players who've gone were fringe players who didn't play, or not regularly anyway. However, with the two signings we've made, plus defensive midfielders we've been linked with, it would suggest we will be looking to recruit a similar amount of players. Don't forget, we could also be looking at some loan departures, so we may be looking at something like 15-16 players OUT, and a similar amount in. However you look at it, that's a hell of a lot of work to do. It can be done, and done seamlessly, look at Southampton last season, but it's difficult. You have act fast, and you have to be prepared to pay for the quality you require.

Not too gutted by Maguire leaving but as far as I can see, the more players leave the larger the re-building job required this summer becomes. We're going to have to add an awful lot of players to the squad in a pretty short period of time. The longer we leave it the more we risk being badly under-prepared for the new season. Would have been nice to keep Maguire just as an option, with him gone it is quite scary that we have no wingers at all to start pre-season training. Hopefully this is a statement of intent and his replacement(s) will be a clear upgrade. Will miss the way he winds up opposition fans though, that was brilliant.

Also - I think it's rather stretching the point for Howson to report this as "breaking news", it was fairly obvious anyway and with us desperate for news of signings tonight was quite the let-down lol

He could only do that when we scored - which was an infrequent occurance last season.

Certainly need to get a move on with the incomings By my reckoning, that's 14 players OUT and 2 players IN

And of those 14 players how many were our own players and regular first team starters? Er.........

Edited by BigOwl

If reports can be believed the reason Maguire refused his new offer was the length of contract (only 1 year)

and not the wages.

Perhaps Owls management saw him only as a squad player worth keeping for this season, who due to expected

team improvements over the next year, would certainly not be needed for the 2016/17 season or thereafter.

Why commit to paying wages for 2 or 3 years if you only want the player for one season.