Carvalhal - YES or NO

No but it fits....random coach selection follows random committee appointments follow random signings in January.

Imagine the response if 3 months ago Roeder and this guy had been proposed as the team to take the club to success...laughable

Im in...bugger it..lets try something different!!...I was in the 'let it develop slowly' brigade and willing to give SG time with hopefully an increased budget....but what the hell...embrace whatever Mr C does and lets enjoy the ride!!...Im expecting a significant increase in quality on the playing side mind !!...As has been said no-one had heard of the 'M'boro or Watford geezers and they weren't too shabby were they??...

This Carlos chap looks and sounds like a bit of a charismatic guy, something tells me that we won't be hearing the same old and tired manager speak we see from Mr Generic.

He could be crap but I'll say yes for now.

Another link

http://iberosphere.com/2011/09/la-liga-dances-to-the-beat-of-spain-footballsuper-agent-mendes/3556

Mendes and his staff were cetainly kept busy earning their commissions this summer. After a rapid-fire move from Portugal’s Rio Ave (via Atlético Madrid), Julio Alves now joins other Mendes clients Ricardo Quaresma, Simão Sabrosa, Manuel Fernandes and Hugo Almeida at Turkey’s Besiktas, where Manchester United’s Bébé is also on loan and the manager is another Portuguese Carlos Carvalhal. - See more at: http://iberosphere.com/2011/09/la-liga-dances-to-the-beat-of-spain-footballsuper-agent-mendes/3556#sthash.l5QFMvXu.dpuf

This Carlos chap looks and sounds like a bit of a charismatic guy, something tells me that we won't be hearing the same old and tired manager speak we see from Mr Generic.

He could be crap but I'll say yes for now.

I suspect that if he's our new manager, the brief will be attacking, attractive football.

June is going to be very interesting!

I actually share this view, however.....

I'm a fan, like most people on here, I don't work in football, I don't have years of experience in these matters like those around Mr Chansiri. Sometimes, don't you just have to accept there are people closer to a situation that have more knowledge and experience than most of us and accept their judgement.

Mr Chansiri is wealthy, not stupid, I can't accept he'd spend this much money and not take wise counsel.  

How do you know he's not stupid?

Apologies if this has already been posted. Very old link but interesting read.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/whats-eating-mr-carvalhal.aspx?pageID=238&nID=15960&NewsCatID=444

One first impressions that reads like a horror story......especially this paragraph "Carvalhal should be happy that the team was on a good run in December when Havutçu was released pending charges because that was how the boss ran things at the club. Yes, we are talking about the boss, chairman Yıldırım Demirören, who invested more than 103 million Turkish Liras and had the club indebted to himself. The boss, who formed a club full of Portuguese players thanks to his purported business partnership with player agent Jorge Mendes. And the boss who left out the back door to take over the Turkish Football Federation to add to the club’s chaos. "

Looking in a bit more detail at the Besiktas squad for that season - 30 Players, 17 of those are overseas of which 6 are Portuguese. So not a club full of Portuguese as the article alludes. Going on from that, I guess the real question for us would relate to the quality of the Portuguese players Jorge Mendes is managing to palm off on to the clubs he deals with. So in relation to Besiktas I've taken a quick look at how those players faired and where they are now. See below - 

Manuel Fernandes - Besiktas 77 Aps, 14 Gls currently at Lokomotiv Moscow 28 Aps, 7 Gls

Ricardo Quaresma - Besiktas 46 Aps, 18 Gls currently at Porto 37 Aps, 10 Gls

Hugo Almeida - Besiktas 88 Aps, 37 Gls currently at Kuban Krasnodar 10 Aps, 2 Gls

Bebe - Besiktas 4 Aps, 0 Gls currently on loan at Cordoba 18 Aps, 0 Gls - Same Bebe that was at Man Utd, reading the wiki this one does sound like a bit of a dog if Man Utd did indeed pay the amount suggested for him, that said they must have considered it worthwhile at the time.

Simao - Besiktas  46 Aps, 8 gls currently at Espanyol 60 Aps, 3 Gls

Julio Alves - Besiktas 3 Aps 0 Gls currently at Rio Ave 4 Aps 0 Gls

Just playing devils advocate, ultimately there is nothing wrong with forming ties with agents and the like so long as you are also doing your own homework on these players.

Guest Darkus Owlus

No!

Complete own goal getting rid of Gray, then to bring in a foreign coach with no experience of any players in this league is a poor decision.

That's before we get started on his poor CV.

We needed proven Championship manager, I don't think two thirds of the fan base will accept an obscure coach as a replacement for the largely successful Gray.

It's making me really nervous about the ambition of the club and who we will be signing now.

The thing that is the most disconcerting for me is the fact he averages under one season at each club.

Unless he plans on being here for the long haul I'd say f**k it and not take the risk. There's absolutely no point in bringing him in if we then part ways in January. We need a manager who will get with the committee and try to reach the aim of the Prem in a few years. 

Surely old Dejphon isn't that stupid. 

The thing that is the most disconcerting for me is the fact he averages under one season at each club.

Unless he plans on being here for the long haul I'd say f**k it and not take the risk. There's absolutely no point in bringing him in if we then part ways in January. We need a manager who will get with the committee and try to reach the aim of the Prem in a few years. 

Surely old Dejphon isn't that stupid. 

I get peoples concerns re the short term malarkey, but is it possible the committee/Dejphon have factored this in, could it suit our progression?

No no no. One thing I was thinking about was that if he had been at some of his bigger clubs for a longer period of time my opinion on him would be different, the fact that he hasn't and has had so many different clubs makes me very wary of him. I'm still confused about why we are going for him and worried that this is really going to set us back. The names we have been linked with over the weekend player wise aren't exactly bums on seats players.

Edited by WalthamOwl

No no no. One thing I was thinking about was that if he had been at some of his bigger clubs for a longer period of time my opinion on him would be different, the fact that he hasn't and has had so many different clubs makes me very wary of him. I'm still confused about why we are going for him and worried that this is really going to set us back. The names we have been linked with over the weekend player wise aren't exactly bums on seats players.

Maybe the committee aren't looking for bums-on-seats players/manager and are taking the view that if they put the right system in place to achieve success playing attractive attacking football with low cost players this will attract more bums-on-seats in the long term?