Carvalhal - YES or NO

Guest Ellis Rimmer

One thing is for sure, the appointment would split the fan base before a ball is even kicked and that can't be a good thing.

Fans are fickle no matter what everyone says if we win 2 games he'll be a star if we lose a couple people will want him gone. This would be the same for any manager we could get.

Guest Ellis Rimmer

Just imagine your a player looking to join a team where the head coach has a CV that shows somewhere between 6-12 months he will have gone.

Is that really attractive (and I don't believe we are going to blow everyone out of the water on wages alone)

Or you're joining a club with an exotic manager that is meant to play brilliant football :)

NO!!!!

For me it's a no brainer to sign Fat Sam and then sack him in a year two when we get stable in the Prem.

- He knows the division

- He knows the players to get us there

- He has a track record of getting clubs up and keeping them there

- Can work off a budget

- Knows how to motivate

It's a sure fire way to get into the Prem.

I hate taking risks on unknown and unproven managers in England.

They almost never work

Fat Sam is the number one choice without doubt

The negativity regarding this potential appointment is crazy. When was the last time we had a manager that has managed in the Europa League or equivalent?  More impressively he has got to the last 16 on two occasions and on both occasions has been knocked out by Atletico Madrid - who in recent years have been a strong outfit and with excellent strikers.

He has moved around a lot but that is the nature of European football.  Even Mourinho has been pushed out of two clubs!! Longevity is not often valued in football anymore; I don't agree with it but that is the nature of the sport now.

The guy has managed at a higher level than Paul Lambert and Jokanovic; but nope, he's rubbish - Let's take someone who is bang average but has English League experience.... Get a grip.

I have less faith in the many posters on Owlstalk who are getting their pants in a twist over some bloke they know nothing about than the people advising Chansari who may already have a good knowledge of Carvalhal from their extensive involvement in the world of football.

I think it's quite obvious that the people in charge do have a plan for what they're doing. Chansari and his advisors are trying to set up a European model of a footballing committee with a coach who is used to working in similar setups. Similar models have had success at other clubs such as Watford, Southampton and Swansea, let along elsewhere in Europe.

The names people have banded about on here - other than being unrealistic are unlikely to have experience of or want to work in such a committee. Big Sam, Klopp, Klinsmann et al. are never going to come to Wednesday (in our current position) and aren't going to want to be anything but the main man.

I don't get the over-the-top reaction of most people on Owlstalk. It ain't like Carvalhal has dropped his CV off at reception and someone's seen it and though 'yeah he'll do'.

Completely agree.

Hockaday was employed by a fruitcake and carver was only ever a temp appointment.

Most of us on here know feck all and have no day to day experience in the game.

He may well be crap in the end but for me he's a refreshing change from the same old managers.

Hes got to be given a chance or the moaning will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Just like all the crying about not spending any money on players yet(no one has) this hysteria about Carlos is a bit pathetic.

Guest Distraught!

The negativity regarding this potential appointment is crazy. When was the last time we had a manager that has managed in the Europa League or equivalent?  More impressively he has got to the last 16 on two occasions and on both occasions has been knocked out by Atletico Madrid - who in recent years have been a strong outfit and with excellent strikers.

He has moved around a lot but that is the nature of European football.  Even Mourinho has been pushed out of two clubs!! Longevity is not often valued in football anymore; I don't agree with it but that is the nature of the sport now.

The guy has managed at a higher level than Paul Lambert and Jokanovic; but nope, he's rubbish - Let's take someone who is bang average but has English League experience.... Get a grip.

Ginger in the UEFA Cup.  gary megson

NO!!!!

For me it's a no brainer to sign Fat Sam and then sack him in a year two when we get stable in the Prem.

- He knows the division

- He knows the players to get us there

- He has a track record of getting clubs up and keeping them there

- Can work off a budget

- Knows how to motivate

It's a sure fire way to get into the Prem.

I hate taking risks on unknown and unproven managers in England.

They almost never work

Fat Sam is the number one choice without doubt

He's on £3m a year and wouldn't drop to the Championship for a head coach role. Next... 

Yes

It's time to take the next step. Gray did a good job of stabilising the club on the field but the home form was woeful and he was seriously lacking tactically at times. A players coach but he was never going to be the man to take us up.

Carvahal has an interesting cv. It can be taken apart in many ways but there's no denying he's highly rated within the game and a step up on the level of coach/manager we've had since we came out of the Premier League.

Let's give him a go, the signings we make will be key.

Edited by mark77

I am really excited about next season. Since 93 we have spiralled down to dross. At best, average managers, and at best average players. How can we not be excited by a new owner, a new manager and a new pitch?

CC and DC look to me that they could be the real deal. Realistically we had zero chance (sadly) of landing Big Sam. A youngish up and coming manager, hopefully with some real cash, could see us in the Prem. Lets hope CC is in the mould of Pearson, Dyche, Martinez, Howe etc...

Can't wait.

Ginger in the UEFA Cup.  gary megson

Very true... but he only took the job because he is a Wednesdayite. 

People on this site love Ginger yet he has been out of work for three years now! Never won a cup competition. It just appears to be illogical hatred for the potential appointment.

If he was British and had worked in the English Leagues with similar success we wouldn't be complaining.  More importantly, we probably wouldn't get him. He's been more successful than David Moyes for crying out loud, and has had similar successes as Brendan Rodgers and Martinez.

People don't like him because they have never heard of him and he has had a lot of jobs.  

THERE IS MORE TO THE FOOTBALLING WORLD THAN THE ENGLISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE.

This is half the problem with our national team.  We put our head in the sands thinking that British is best. I for one hope this guy comes in and makes our fan base eat humble pie.

Edited by devonshire_owl

Guest totemowl

Dear god those promotions are out of the Portuguese lower league. Seriously mate that's conference level lots of teams are B teams of the division above

I know. Probably same level as Winning Thai league with a side that win it 10 years in a row.

Sorry 9.