Any Ex-Abbeydale Grange Boys/Girls On Here?

I never knew HW was ex-Abbeydale Grange as a pupil! He taught games there from 75-78. Then he moved on to a position with Nottinghamshire FA and from there to Notts County etc, etc.

Edited by Utah Owl

Yes, he was also a good athlete and I can remember him holding the school record for several event ... 100 yards, 200 yards and long jump I think. He was also part of a very good Football 1st 11 and I can remember being told that several of them played at professional level and the goalie was an Amateur international. About 20 years after I left I worked with a guy called Pete Bishop who was the left winger in the same school side as HW, he was on United's the Chesterfields books. He told me, after the event, that when they were all 40 they went back, played and beat the current 1st 11. I'd like to have seen that.

Not me - I was at Silverdale, but quite a few of my mates went to Abbeydale (I was at Dobcroft and you either went up the hill to Silverdale or down the hill to Abbeydale), and so knew a few of the people there - but would have been late 70s / early 80s ere

The headmaster - Mr Massey - was a big Wednesdayite - saw him quite regularly at Hillsborough back in the 80s..........

Also - didn't Seb Coe go to Abbeydale, or have I remembered that wrong?

same here Simon, went to Dobcroft then on to Silverdale from 1982-85. used to be Mr Sanderson as headmaster and Miss Strickland as deputy head. best teacher was Mr Lee (Maths), MASSIVE Wednesday fan. you would have been at Silverdale around the same time as my brother Mark Richardson (Dog).

Edited by matt68owls

for 

Not me - I was at Silverdale, but quite a few of my mates went to Abbeydale (I was at Dobcroft and you either went up the hill to Silverdale or down the hill to Abbeydale), and so knew a few of the people there - but would have been late 70s / early 80s ere

The headmaster - Mr Massey - was a big Wednesdayite - saw him quite regularly at Hillsborough back in the 80s..........

Also - didn't Seb Coe go to Abbeydale, or have I remembered that wrong?

Seb Coe was at Abbeydale for 6th form (73-75 I think) prior to that was at Tapton.

I was there 87 to 92. Kevin Davies was in the year below me and played in the school football team with him a few times. We only seemed to have one game a season then people started fighting and that was it for another year lol.

He also played in the basketball team where my year ended up national champions and I played for England schoolboys whilst there (sorry, I've given my trumpeter the day off today ;-)

I always remember the basketball coach trying to get him to quit football to play basketball instead lol

Edited by goodytheowl

I represented the team in all the years from 1st year through to 2nd XI (captain) then 1st XI

Nice pitch next to the pavillion and we got a decent crowd to watch us on Saturday mornings.

I am not aware anyone from that group are famous or not. One guy played in what is now the MLS but other than that it was the pub league for me until retirement at 50.

Left 6th form in 82

Could have and should have been the best years of our lives....

On 12/1/2016 at 02:56, Lombado said:

I represented the team in all the years from 1st year through to 2nd XI (captain) then 1st XI

Nice pitch next to the pavillion and we got a decent crowd to watch us on Saturday mornings.

I am not aware anyone from that group are famous or not. One guy played in what is now the MLS but other than that it was the pub league for me until retirement at 50.

Left 6th form in 82

Could have and should have been the best years of our lives....

Curious, what went wrong?

Had a brilliant time when I was there.