OFFICIAL RETAINED LIST REVEALED... 11 GONE

Kirkland is a good keeper but should we really keep him, can imagine his wages are quite high, would have been nice to have a youngster as no.2.

No it actually makes sense. The back up keeper doesn't usually play too many games, and is virtually a permanent bench warmer. This way, we get a quality back up keeper at our disposal, while we can send Dawson and Wildsmith out to get regular football.

I'm sorry to see Buxton go, he's a good solid player and best right back at the club. Injuries must be the reason rather than his ability.

Mattock, I'm surprised at that, we must be bringing someone else in because Helan and Dielna aren't promotion standard.

Zayatte, had a shaky first season but this year he has been very solid.  Again I think we must have some players lined up because Lees and Loovens need back up capable of challenging for their places. Zayatte might have gone because Gray wants someone more vocal to organise the defence if Loovens is out/doesn't sign.

I'm surprised Gray has been as ruthless as he has but it can only be a sign of intent. We really are going to go for it. I've had my doubts before but now I'm convinced. 

So 11 out means must be around 11 to come in. All SHOULD be seen as first team players ready to fight for their place in the team. We could have an almost new team next season, with real transfer fees spent....sems a long way from the JOC Smith Summer doesnt it? As some else said last season a lot of those would have been offered new deals.

I think its a sign of the times that we were happy to be signing some of those players 3-4 years ago. Now they are not good enough and I expect some of those retained to become back up players.

Never been so excited by a season ending!

Largely agree with the list. Sorry for Buxton but given his injury record the last couple of seasons it is the right decision.

Real statement of intent by the club and the thing that excites me most is that Gray has shown he can be utterly ruthless when required. Suspect in that vein a couple of under contract players may also be moved on as the close season progresses.

Looking forward to see who we sign over the next few weeks and suspect we will get some really solid signings in early.

Edited by Utah Owl

Over the moon we've acted this quickly , agree with all the decisions on the released lads and particularly pleased SG hasn't held onto supposed squad players like Zayatte and Buxton

Both steady players but nowhere near fit enough, hope we can move out Helan and wouldn't be shocked to see Dielna move on

Kirkland and Maguire will both extend I think, hopefully Lee and Semedo will do also

Very surprised by that list.

We've let our two best full backs go (Mattock & Buxton). I can understand Buxton going due to his injury record, but Mattock has been a very reliable, steady full back who was part of that pretty formidable defensive back line at the beginning of the season. Very, very harsh.

Thought Zayette deserved another deal, but once again, injury has probably dictated that decision.

There's no doubt that we're going to have to be VERY busy this season, and it's clear we're going the revolution route, rather than evolution. Roeder, Pearson & Gray have got a lot of work on in the next few weeks or so.

Exciting times...but that's a lot of change for a club that's going to be expecting results from the off.

I'm surprised Gray has been as ruthless as he has but it can only be a sign of intent. We really are going to go for it. I've had my doubts before but now I'm convinced. 

I'm not.  There's no sentiment in football and the players know the nature of the industry that they work in.  Some of our "released" players (like Buxton) are unlucky that injury has cost them a new contract; others (like Maghoma), have overachieved and have (quite rightly) "ridden the wave" while they could; some (that will remain unnamed) have been correctly handed the chance but have not applied themselves.  The only person that got the blunt end of Gray's ruthlessness is Buxton IMHO and, unfortunately, that was the right decision.   

The frightening thing about that squad is, we have our full quota strikers and most of them are league one at best

They're under contract, how can we just release em?