OFFICIAL RETAINED LIST REVEALED... 11 GONE

So given what's left and how bad our development squad is.....how many signings are we realistically looking at this summer?

1RB

2 CB

1 LB

1 RM

2 CM

1 LM

2 ST

10-11 perhaps? Considering 14 have left including the 3 loans. 

Why have we played Buxton the last few games if he wasn't in our plans for next season?

Injuries to other players mainly.

Plus maybe as a gesture of thanks to him, to give him the opportunity to put himself in the shop window.

Although he's not in the plans going forward, hes been one of our best and most consistent players for the about the last 5 years.

shop window maybe , it does seem a bit daft though 

That is what I originally thought Trev, but I thought it would make more sense to get Vermijl comfortable in the first team.

Because the alternative would be to blood new young players

We're Sheffield Wednesday and don't believe in such things.

The alternative would have been to play Gray's own new January signing, Vermijl - can't understand why he wouldn't have done that!

To see if he was worth keeping as back-up this year? Not often you can find a player who can play at every position accross the back 4 and be comfortable in each one.

True, but he's helped us get a point at both the free scoring promoted sides in his last few game, so you'd have thought that would have earned him a new deal...

Injuries to other players mainly.

Plus maybe as a gesture of thanks to him, to give him the opportunity to put himself in the shop window.

Although he's not in the plans going forward, hes been one of our best and most consistent players for the about the last 5 years.

Definitely, sad to see him go, but his injury record tells its own story. Hope he gets a good club (probably end up at Coventry like all our released players!).

I am not happy at all.

It is a sad day to say goodbye to so many players that have contributed to this season and longer. Virtually none of them can be faulted for their application and commitment.

This is football and to progress we need to get in better players and thus we have to say goodbye to to some of the players who got us where we are today(a season free from relegation worries)

My thanks and wishes of good luck to all of them.

When I say I am not happy at all, that is not quite true. I am excited about the next stage of Wednesday's progression and the prospect of players coming in

That is what I originally thought Trev, but I thought it would make more sense to get Vermijl comfortable in the first team.

Vermijl instinctively neshes out of challenges.  Needs a lesson or two from Zico.

Zayatte has had a bit of bad luck. He's shown everyone he's a capable player. but his injuries is something we simply can't carry.

Same with Buxton... came back at the end and put his shift in, but a player who can only see half the season isn't what we need right now.

The rest shoes the direction we want to head. Left back has been an issue so it looks like we're going to try and address it.

I'd have tought kirkland will move on. he'll either want more football, or more money than we'd need to spend on cover.

As for semedo, lee and maguire... I can't see any being first choice next term, so it's all down to what they want really. If they want to stay and fight for their position or if they just want it easy.

I can only see Lee staying out of those 3 just because he's versatile and knows he's likely to rack up games anywhere on the pitch

Edited by POWP

I thought maghoma might have stayed as gray seems to like him but I think the decision is the correct one. Keep the spine and rebuild around it. Pleased so far

That's it, there seems to be no hedging of bets here. Tough decisions that needed to be made, have been made

— 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png GK Keiren Westwood - Best keeper outside Prem and, probably, better that most Prem keepers

— 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png DF Claude Dielna - Jury's out.  Good in patches, awful in others
— 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png DF Tom Lees - Brilliant thus far and the right age to improve further.  Needs to lose the "looks twice the player with Loovens next to him" tag though.
— 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png DF Liam Palmer - This season was great then poor then great again when Vermijl came in - does he perform better when he has competition?
— 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png DF Marnick Vermijl - Can't judge- we've not seen enough of him
— 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png MF Jeremy Helan - World beater when the pitch was in good condition early in the season, awful when the ball started bobbling around.  Jury's out.   
— 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Sam Hutchinson - Good in patches, awful in others, either injured or banned.  Will he ever play enough games for us to see the real Sam Hutchinson?
— 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png MF Filipe Melo - Can't judge - we've not seen enough of him
— 23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png FW Sergiu Bus - Can't judge - we've not seen enough of him
— 23px-Ulster_banner.svg.png FW Caolan Lavery - Can't judge - performed well out on loan after injury but now needs to transfer that to SWFC's first team
— 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png FW Stevie May - Some think he started well, others don't; we all could agree that he hasn't finished well.  I'm not his greatest fan and think he was a "panic buy"
— 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png FW Atdhe Nuhiu - Can be great outside the box but tends to be awful in it; determined and spirited but "Cow's arse" and "Banjo" spring to mind

— 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png GK Chris Kirkland - Great keeper but Westwood is better so he would have to resign himself to playing second fiddle
— 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png DF Glenn Loovens - Brilliant. Never breaks sweat.  I haven't seen him sprint but he doesn't have to his awareness and positioning are so supreme
— 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png MF Kieran Lee - Enigmatic tending to brilliant.  Will have to improve somewhat if he is to hold down a place next season but I believe he can improve 
— 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png MF Chris Maguire - Unlucky in terms of having to play out of position so often.  Bench player in future unless he can force his way in up front
— 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png MF Jose Semedo  - Brilliant defensively and offers something that no other player offers. Limited in other key aspects. His improvement is testament to his attitude! 

I think we've got a fair bit of recruitment to carry out id we're going to challenge even for the top six. 

I would have kept Mattock and let Seemdo and possibly Maguire go, but other than that I'm pleased with that lot.

I am wortied about Left Back at the mo - Helan (who can't defend) and Dielna (who can't defend)...hope he's got someone lined up...