Suicide Squad

Adebisi

I saw it yesterday.  It wasn't actually that bad considering the reviews I'd picked up on.

The final 3rd is just standard fare, almost lazy. 

But the characters are interesting. Well, some of them. 

My main complaint.  Jared Leto's Joker is rubbish. Just rubbish. He's peripheral to the entire plot and when he's on screen I want the scene to end quickly. He's not remotely menacing.  

Margot Robbie on the other hand is worth any viewing discomfort. Criminally beautiful. 

Had to see it anyway as my wife made me.

The reviews are right.  It is poor.  Jared Leto is aggressively awful.

Also, it has an actual pantomime witch and genuinely the worst-looking CGI monster since the Scorpion King.  And they have a group of soldiers with them who's number changes randomly from scene to scene...

Edited by owlinexile

It's so bad. So so bad. 

The dialogue is half-arsed first draft stuff, the CGI is just awful - makes Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing' video look cutting edge. I didn't care about any characters whatsoever and the soundtrack was beyond irritating, shoehorning tracks in like an episode of Homes Under The Hammer.

Plus the constant leering at Margot Robbie was grating, I was a bit taken aback when the rest of the screen laughed at Batman.punching her out.

I never really felt guilt about liking comic book films, but Jesus you look at this and think "What have I done?"

At least BvS was merely dull. This was just an abhorrent mess.

10 hours ago, O_D_A said:

It's so bad. So so bad. 

The dialogue is half-arsed first draft stuff, the CGI is just awful - makes Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing' video look cutting edge. I didn't care about any characters whatsoever and the soundtrack was beyond irritating, shoehorning tracks in like an episode of Homes Under The Hammer.

Plus the constant leering at Margot Robbie was grating, I was a bit taken aback when the rest of the screen laughed at Batman.punching her out.

I never really felt guilt about liking comic book films, but Jesus you look at this and think "What have I done?"

At least BvS was merely dull. This was just an abhorrent mess.

lol

I thought of Homes under the Hammer too!

On 03/08/2016 at 21:26, @owlstalk said:

Superhero films are totally ruining cinema

There really not. They won't stop other movies being made. Infact most superhero movies are making money so they are probably funding the studio's other projects. 

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They are locking up the screens at cinemas with rubbish superhero films

Fact

If the demand is there for super hero films then of course studio's and cinema's are gonna spit it out. 

If studio's can't be arsed to make other films then that's all on them. I still think good movies are being made but you can't say that's because of super hero films. They are making money which can be pumped into other films, even the average movies are making millions. 

They'll be a natural fall off of demand eventually if they continue to make poor movies but that'll not happen for a while. 

Marvel still making good movies, DC really need to pull there finger out. 

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Superhero films are pretty much all dire

There's like 1 in 10 that are worth bothering with but on the whole they're like REALLY bad

You're entitled to your opinion but I for one think it's more like half and half. there are a lot of really poor non-super hero movies too. 

Super hero movies ain't killing cinema though. 5 super hero movies released this year so far with one more to come that I can think of. that should take us to 6 in a year. That averages at 1 every 2 months.

Just had a quick google and there were 56 cinema releases in the UK in January alone, yes some limited viewings but films are still being made. If your not happy with any of these then take out your frustrations on the studio's rather than moaning about a genre of movies that are still smashing box office records. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

The best bit is when fan-boys go "If you're willing to leave your brain at home or need some escapism its a great film"

Roughly translated as "It's a kids film"

Nothing wrong with that type of film though. Some of arnies best movies are the same type. Different movies suit different moods. 

Some times I like to watch something quite deep like Inception/The prestige and sometimes I want something where I can switch off all logic and just enjoy something for what it is. 

I do not under the criticism of this at all.

If you went in expecting anything different you are crackers.

Nice straightforward origin stuff, it's kind of a Hancock/Will Smith sort of thing with good extra characters. It was as good as Thor or any other super hero film so far.

I fail to see how it could have been better given what they had... it's a just a premise, the cast is fine, it was all fine.

It wasn't a worse film then any other super hero film, it was as average as they are and great in bits like they all are.

It was far better than BvS, Avengers 1 & 2, Captain America Civil War, Iron Man 2, Man of Steel. If you think this was less quality then any of them you are just trying to rag on Suicde Squad.

It's just fashionable to rag on this film, people joining the neck beard RT moaning squad basically like they are some kind of yelp critic for average studio films.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

The best bit is when fan-boys go "If you're willing to leave your brain at home or need some escapism its a great film"

Roughly translated as "It's a kids film"

Yeah

It's interesting when you read opinions about superhero films and those justifying it

It's clear they're trying desperately to stick up for a really bad film simply because it's about a superhero they like.

Owlstalk Shop