Semedo farewell ?

Guest Gazzaswfc

Hhhhmmm We will have to discuss this …….

You propose we keep 3 first team players- meaning that we'll have to realistically sign a minimum of 15 more to get a squad of 18 that'd be decent for the Championship.

Signing 15 players in one transfer window is just asking for a disaster. This squad has finished mid-table in the Championship, it makes quite literally no sense to gut that squad and sign 15 players, when we could get rid of the majority of out of contract players (say 8 of them) and make 10 signings while keeping the core of the squad. Mid-table squad gets improved and we don't spunk money away signing an inordinate number of players that'll take an age to gel and actually look like a team.

This article suggests to me he's staying. 

Westwood: "We've not had a settled backline in the second half of the season and have missed Loovens and Semedo big time and Palmer..."

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/credit-across-the-board-2419696.aspx

For me, Westwood isn't replaceable. Any other keeper of his standard will want to be in the Premier League next season. And if he wants to be playing in a side with Semedo and Loovens (Palmer is the only other player he specifically credits) I think its important for the club that they extend their contracts, if just for one more year. 

I honestly think that would be the worse thing we could do, Good quality 4/5 Additions not massive squad overhaul lets keep the team spirit we have but add some extra quality to the squad.

Dave Jones made this very mistake at the beginning of our first season back in the Championship. We had made a solid start against Derby, Birmingham (some great football) and Millwall (great comeback win with previous season's promotion side), then after an unlucky defeat at Palace he decided to continually chop and change and we lost our momentum and team spirit.

I reckon only 3 or 4 quality team or squad additions will see us well inside the top 6 next season.

Infact i have a sneaky feeling even our current team would have pushed close this season had we had a nice playing surface at home, we've proved how well we can play on nice pitches away from home.

It would be a horrific decision to let semedo go. I think some people have already forgotten how good he was earlier in the season. If I knew how to, I'd bring up an old thread to remind you all. I read comments such as:

I'll admit I was wrong about semedo

Didn't think he was up to it but he just keeps on raising his game

Mom again

The man simply has to get another contract. He might be a defensive player, but it's so naive of some of you to think this makes us a more negative team. He's our insurance policy. If our RB or LB bomb on or our wingers are out of position you can rely on semedo to make up the ground. He allows the rest of the team freedom. If we are aiming for better in his role next year, then I can't wait to see his replacement play. If it's melo, I look forward to seeing more of him.

Guest shakesby

I don't want to flood the squad with squad players but I think that's where I see Semedo fitting in next year

Keep for me for sure

But bye bye Maghoma, McCabe, Corry and terminate Hutchinson hopefully on the grounds of fitness (don't need gambles like that anymore)

Dont forget Coke.

We have a ton of midfielders who aren't up to scratch. Need shifting out this summer.

Three salient questions.

Can he continue to do a decent job in this division?

Are we prepared to invest money in someone else better in this position?

Is replacing Semedo a priority?

Once you've decided on the answers via logical thinking, you can predict fairly accurately whether or not he will be staying.

Guest shakesby

Three salient questions.

Can he continue to do a decent job in this division?

Are we prepared to invest money in someone else better in this position?

Is replacing Semedo a priority?

Once you've decided on the answers via logical thinking, you can predict fairly accurately whether or not he will be staying.

1.) Yes, as demonstrated this year when he's ran games by himself at times.

2.) We already have done in Melo, seemingly.

3.) No.

The only concern really is the three players in that position - in arguably the most combative position in the team - are all at risk of picking up injuries. Especially Hutch.

It may be wise to get another in.

Guest shakesby

Too right forgot he even existed.

He has been bit-part for Bolton too seemingly. Whoever gave him an extended two/three year contract needs their head seeing to.