Minutes silence

I think that in this instance you might put up with being bored for an extra minute or so. 30 years ago there were 56 people that went to a football match celebrating their teams promotion but 56 people didn't return home and many more were left scarred and affected by the fire. The Bradford fire is often forgotten by the media but I will take my seat and my thoughts will be with those that suffered 30 years ago when people were doing just what I will be doing in turning up to watch my team on a Saturday afternoon.

This

When anyone's died it doesn't hurt you to give a minute up in respect if it makes their friends and family feel a bit better, but when 56 innocent  people died and hundreds more were affected whilst following the same hobby as you and only a few miles up the road it really is fitting.It makes me think of all the shitty grounds we've been crammed into over the years there for the grace of god and all that.

I think we were at home to West Ham that day, remember hearing the news filtering through (as it did in pre-internet days) and got home to see the full dreadful extent of it as we didn't know anyone had died. I think there are too many minutes silence's these days and I loathe "minutes applause"  (absurd notion) but this is a genuine occasion and I will be silently thinking of those at Bradford that day. RIP

The problem with things like this, is if there is one bit of noise, other people react and people start shouting at other people. I can remember a minutes silence at derby when it was behaved impeccably by owls fans in the away end but others in the back of stand were oblivious. The silence broken by both derby fans and swfc fans shouting and booing that comprimised the silence and so escalated the volume!

exactamondo....nice to see another disaster getting some press coverage...

They should all be remembered shouldn't they?

indeed...but they dont do they

I think that's mainly because the Hillsboro disaster is still under investigation and therefore is subject to ongoing press coverage - I don't think it means people in any way lessen what happened in Bradford in terms of tragedy.

I think that's mainly because the Hillsboro disaster is still under investigation and therefore is subject to ongoing press coverage - I don't think it means people in any way lessen what happened in Bradford in terms of tragedy.

It shouldn't matter whether there's an investigation or not. Those fans never made it home and deserve to be remembered in the same way.

It shouldn't matter whether there's an investigation or not. Those fans never made it home and deserve to be remembered in the same way.

Obviously. Did you read the earlier post where I said exactly the same?

An earlier post said it was good to see it being remembered "for a change". I was making the point that people don't remember any less - it's just that the Hillsboro disaster is more publicised in the media due to the ongoing investigation.

I used to go with my dad to watch Blackburn in the 90s as he was a fan and we lived close. I remember that rovers played leeds on a Monday night (I think it was Monday) on the day after Sir Matt Busby died. A minutes silence was held and the leeds fans sang "there's only one don revie" throughout the minute. It was disgusting and as a 12 yr old I was shocked! Wouldn't surprise me if some of them lot were idiots tomorrow.

Edited by whatdial

I always think it should be a minutes applause nowadays to drown and the idiots, there are always some.

No, no, no.   Silence is used for a reason, to reflect, contemplate and remember in a dignified way. Yes, there are disrespectful idiots but they should not be paid the compliment of changing a tradition. The vast majority can be relied upon to show respect and shouldn't respond to the isolated offender who should be ignored.

I used to go with my dad to watch Blackburn in the 90s as he was a fan and we lived close. I remember that rovers played leeds on a Monday night (I think it was Monday) on the day after Sir Matt Busby died. A minutes silence was held and the leeds fans sang "there's only one don revie" throughout the minute. It was disgusting and as a 12 yr old I was shocked! Wouldn't surprise me if some of them lot were idiots tomorrow.

Wednesday played sufc that day it was not observed well