Can we be good again?

It's been a hell of a long time since we were any good - I was probably 10 years old the last time we had a half decent team.

I can't remember the last time we were covered nationally as anything other than a nothing yo-yo club between Championship and League 1 (and that's what we have been tbh).

Aside from the play-off final in 05 and a ten minute feature on the Football League show for the Wycombe game - we've become am irrelevance in the eyes of the football world.

We've not even had a big cup run, or even a one off game at Hillsborough - a replay against Man City would have been amazing at a packed Hillsborough.

Despite the takeover and year on year progress for five years on the pitch, I still can't envisage us taking that next step and becoming a club worthy of headlines.

At the weekend AFC Bournemouth were getting plenty of coverage - and rightly so considering their position - I just can't imagine what it'd be like to be in their position.

Is it just me, or does everyone else under 30 have the same problem I do with imagining Wednesday being a force to be reckoned with?

Edited by KivoOwl

Speaking to Bournemouth fans 2 years ago the year we got promoted, they all thought they were destined for League 2 and years of more rubbish.

Now look at them.

Football works in funny ways and sometimes you have to go through the absolute dross for the good times to finally arrive. 

I was there in the 80s and 90s, had some amazing times. The last 15 years have been shocking, apart from the couple of promotion seasons from L1,  I really feel for the youngsters who have only ever known us be rubbish. However, with investment at last there's no reason why we wouldn't be able to establish ourselves as a PL club again in the next few years - if the likes of Southampton, Stoke and Swansea can do it so can we. Becoming a top 5-6 side may be a step too far, but I'd certainly be happy with being a consistent 8th-10th type PL  club with the occasional cup final appearance. No doubt somebody will say that's boring but ask yourself whether you'd rather us be average in the PL or in the Championship / L1.

We've done nothing yet for those singing about the good times being back.  i was 16 when we were relegated from the prem so was lucky enough to catch the 91 team just.

The status of the club back then was enormous.  As was the ground.  It was one of the best still even then and when you think that basically NOTHING has changed on that front it tells you everything about the last 15 years.  I very much doubt we'd ever get back to that sort of calibre and reputation.  There's always hope though, look at Bournemouth now.  No one would have put them there.

if we aren't challenging by christmas Gray will go and all the optimism will have gone out of the window as well.  Then what does Chansiri do?  The real test will be when we aren't performing as we've all been promised.  Saying that we're going to be back in the premiership by 2017 is not a gurantee that it's going to happen.  it's just a nice idea.

I remember us getting to semis of league cup vs Blackburn I think we had the likes of ekoku playing when I was young think that's the only cup run of such I can remember last time we won it was the year I was born and we have been poo for my whole supporting life and I'm 24

Edited by bedfordowl

Well Alanharper I can't really remember us having amazing times in the 80's. Some pretty great times in the 90's to be sure!

Go back a lot further than you and can remember good times in the 60's under Harry Catterick.

Perhaps you think the 80's were good because you started watching them progress from just about their lowest ebb to climb

back up the leagues under JC and then Howard Wilkinson. (I know this 'cos I was paying for your season tickets).

Now just hope I live long enough to see us back in the promised land and perhaps win a cup or two or even compete in Europe again.

Think that this could be the start of the good times again.

Edited by oldtawnyowl

If we invest wisely then there is no reason for us not to be. I personally think getting us to a similar stage to Watford or Derby who are battling in and around the play-offs and automatic for the past 2-3 seasons is where I expect us to be in the next couple of seasons.