Team of the Season (effect on games stats)

I've tracked the goals scored and conceded while each player has been on the pitch, and attributed a "result" with the relevant points.

This gives an average per game for each player - table and graphs below.

(I say "result" because the game may have ended up with a different actual result. If a player is on for the first half and we go 1-0 up, they get 1.5 points, even if we then concede a couple while their off the pitch and go on to lose the game)

This gives what I think makes the TEAM OF THE SEASON (up for debate, as always!)...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Westwood . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Palmer . . . . . . . Lees . . . . . . . . Loovens . . . . . . . Dielna

Maguire . .  . Semedo . . . . . . McGugan . . . . Maghoma

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Bus  . . .  . . .. . . ..  .  Nuhiu . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Westwood - I've not even included keepers in the stats. There was little point. Our player of the season by a country mile!

Palmer - plenty of games played, and our only right back that has a lower than average goals conceded per game

Lees - solid all season. Average stats, but that is inevitable given how few games he's missed.

Loovens - There's a strong argument for Zayatte to feature in Loovens' place in terms of results; but Loovens' lower goals conceded over more games gives him the nod.

Dielna - Helan could stake a claim on goals conceded, but we've tended to score fewer for whatever reason (poor distribution / end product?!)

Semedo - absolute colossus of a man. I personally rate Hutchinson much higher as a footballer, but he's not had a positive enough effect on results this season. Melo looked particularly good against Brentford, but hasn't played enough games to improve his overall stats after being involved in 3 defeats out of 5 appearances. Semedo has been consistently impressive over the course of the season.

Maguire - frustratingly inconsistent, but the numbers show that we have scored more with him on the pitch than without him

McGugan - we can all see why he's had a positive impact on goals scored, and despite most of his appearances coinciding with the loss of Loovens, we've had a higher than average points return with him on the pitch

Maghoma - surprisingly for some perhaps, our Jacques has proved to be a positive influence on goals scored and conceded, and therefore results.

Nuhiu - stand out centre forward and top scorer. We score about the same with or without him, but concede a lot less when he is there to help us to retain possession further up the field. He also tends to occupy an opposition midfielder that drops back to help double up on him. So his contribution to the cause should not be underestimated, despite his unfashionable style.

Bus - controversial inclusion perhaps, but his numbers are the strongest out of all the whole squad (albeit over just 3 games). Lavery could be included having had a bit more game time to stake a claim; but his numbers aren't quite as positive.

The alternative, of course, is to put an extra midfielder in there. That would be Kieran Lee as the next strongest contributor after McGugan and Semedo.

Would you agree that this represents our most effective XI of the season?

WAWAW

George

post-26224-0-18640000-1429262183_thumb.j

post-26224-0-17594000-1429262193_thumb.j

post-26224-0-82009100-1429262201_thumb.j

post-26224-0-76564100-1429262210_thumb.j

Edited by George Whitebread

It's hard to know where to start with all that, but credit to you for taking the time to produce it.

The first thing that strikes me is that the more appearances a player has, the closer to the average line they'll naturally fall on each graph. And then you have Semedo, bossing it on the 'points' graph...there's a good argument for him being our most important player when you see the influence he has.

It's hard to know where to start with all that, but credit to you for taking the time to produce it.

The first thing that strikes me is that the more appearances a player has, the closer to the average line they'll naturally fall on each graph. And then you have Semedo, bossing it on the 'points' graph...there's a good argument for him being our most important player when you see the influence he has.

Absolutely right. Hugely important for us this season!

Impressive and interesting. Good job.

Thanks Oxon

Great work George!

Interesting stuff. Too.

Not asking you do do any more work.

But if for example we played a different formation (and Gray has played 1 up at times this season) how might that change the team?

Edited by Lord Snooty

I did the stats on Nuhiu up to Feb/March and it took me a good 20 minutes. Top effort from you to do this for all players. Show's how effective Semedo and Loovens are for us. The effort to normalise the data based on opponents, game state and venue would make it a huge job so lets not even contemplate it.

Lets be honest, you can prove anything with stats but I find it interesting that of the players that come out better in the stats than some expect are the players that I personally rate (Maguire, Nuhiu and Maghoma) more than most fans around me seem to and I genuinely believe Gray sees the contribution they have had this season too.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.  

Sultan, I think the main thing with an analysis is that it needs to start from a point of not trying to prove anything.

I'd certainly agree with what you're saying about Gray seeing the contribution. I suspect he already has access to this sort of information. If nobody is doing it for the club, I'd like to put my hand up for that job!

lol

Maghoma is probably the most interesting one. He's been seriously frustrating at times, but perhaps having him on their giving the opposition something to think about has more effect than the immediate end result of every cross/shot...etc.

I also think it's strange that the same hasn't applied with Helan. Maybe his end product is that bad that it tips the balance the other way.

Guest rubydubydoo

Great to have such a wonderful post in stark contrast to some of the  bile, juvenile humour, and rubbish. we have to endure.

Well done that man!