Chris Maguire

Guest RoyalNavyOwl

Guest RoyalNavyOwl

I honestly hope we offer this guy a new contract. I think he will improve so much being surrounded by better players and let's not forget how good he was towards the end of last year. Granted he's not had the best of seasons for us but I still think he's one of the few players in our team who can create something from nothing (Leeds goal). I think he could grab 5-10 goals for us next season even as a squad player. Thoughts?

I'd like to see us bring in some natural wingers and let Maguire challenge for a position upfront. I believe he's one of the better finishers at the club, I know that's not hard with our strikers but still.

I'd give him a 2year contract.

Very underrated amongst our fanbase, mainly because he's one of the few players in the squad that is prepared to put his head above the parapet when the pressure is on. Some call him greedy, but at least he doesn't pass the buck.

Good technique, top work rate, we could do better but we could do a whole lot worse. It's worth noting that he is only 26.

One striking memory I have is being 4-0 down at Fulham this season and he's the one guy still running his balls off, at one point going passed 2 players only for nobody to bother to try and get in the box.

I think even if we're pushing the top 6 he would be a good squad player to have. 

Edited by Owls2k

I'd like to see us bring in some natural wingers and let Maguire challenge for a position upfront. I believe he's one of the better finishers at the club, I know that's not hard with our strikers but still.

I'd give him a 2year contract.

Disagree with that however - his finishing isn't that great (its not bad, but not great).  How many times does he get the ball and leather it out for a goal kick?  As a striker we need much, much better.  As a tricky wide midfielder though, our out wide in a front 3, he is certainly a good option to have.  

I like Maguire. Granted, his form has dipped this season, but he's never let us down in terms of work rate or willingness to get on the ball and try to make things happen. Ironically, this is also one of his biggest flaws: he sometimes tries to do too much and ends up losing the ball.

Perhaps among our meagre attacking options he feels the pressure to create weighing on his shoulders, resulting in him forcing things at times? I suspect he's another of our current players who would look better in a more fluent attacking team - hopefully we'll find out next season!

As things stand, he's one of our best attackers, having scored six goals from the wing this season, which isn't bad. He's definitely a useful player to have in the squad, plus he's our best wind-up merchant by a country mile!

I like Maguire. Granted, his form has dipped this season, but he's never let us down in terms of work rate or willingness to get on the ball and try to make things happen. Ironically, this is also one of his biggest flaws: he sometimes tries to do too much and ends up losing the ball.

Perhaps among our meagre attacking options he feels the pressure to create weighing on his shoulders, resulting in him forcing things at times? I suspect he's another of our current players who would look better in a more fluent attacking team - hopefully we'll find out next season!

As things stand, he's one of our best attackers, having scored six goals from the wing this season, which isn't bad. He's definitely a useful player to have in the squad, plus he's our best wind-up merchant by a country mile!

100% this

Exactly what I wanted to put, but couldn't think of the words

1 year deal.

He's clearly a very good footballer...but he really needs to nail down a position.

A sort of striker, a sort of winger...possibly a number 10.

To be fair to Maguire, I'd say that's not his fault. He's a handy player (not amazing) in several positions and has been asked to play all across the front.

1 year deal. 

He's clearly a very good footballer...but he really needs to nail down a position. 

A sort of striker, a sort of winger...possibly a number 10. 

I dont agree (a rarity with you tbf!) ... i actually think he is worth a place in next seasons squad for the very reason that he is so versatile, our James Milner, if you like. 

based on hopefully having better players next season, its doubtful Maguire would hold down a start either as a winger or a striker, its his versatility which will be his/our asset. both with injuries and as an impact sub. 

I dont agree (a rarity with you tbf!) ... i actually think he is worth a place in next seasons squad for the very reason that he is so versatile, our James Milner, if you like. 

based on hopefully having better players next season, its doubtful Maguire would hold down a start either as a winger or a striker, its his versatility which will be his/our asset. both with injuries and as an impact sub. 

yup.

I honestly hope we offer this guy a new contract. I think he will improve so much being surrounded by better players and let's not forget how good he was towards the end of last year. Granted he's not had the best of seasons for us but I still think he's one of the few players in our team who can create something from nothing (Leeds goal). I think he could grab 5-10 goals for us next season even as a squad player. Thoughts?

Apart from Lavery my fav player.