recovery

I think the league should let teams play each other home and away over the easter weekend. This would mean fairness in preparation and you could easily schedule TV games. We could have played hudds Saturday and today. Others could have played Friday/ Sunday.

I think the league should let teams play each other home and away over the easter weekend. This would mean fairness in preparation and you could easily schedule TV games. We could have played hudds Saturday and today. Others could have played Friday/ Sunday.

Good point. Used to be like that IIRC in the distant past before TV took over running our game.

Good point. Used to be like that IIRC in the distant past before TV took over running our game.

Way before then mate.  Think it stopped in the 50's.

I can remember reversed fixtures in the 60's over Xmas as well as easter. I don't think it was TV that stopped it though as there was hardly any live TV matches back then.

I think it was the increase in crowd violence more than anything. The authorities didn't want supporters seeking retribution for anything that went off in the first match plus I believe the league were also concerned about any on pitch issues being carried over by the players.

Didn't the "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Ba.......d" chant when a keeper takes a goal kick originate in the 70s over a pair of Easter games against Preston.

Saturday at Preston, goalie breaks our player's leg. Can't remember who.

Easter Monday, goalie gets some abuse.

Or maybe I'm just imagining this.

Didn't the "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Ba.......d" chant when a keeper takes a goal kick originate in the 70s over a pair of Easter games against Preston.

Saturday at Preston, goalie breaks our player's leg. Can't remember who.

Easter Monday, goalie gets some abuse.

Or maybe I'm just imagining this.

No, you're spot on.  If my memory is correct, it was Mick Prendergast who had his leg broken

I can remember reversed fixtures in the 60's over Xmas as well as easter. I don't think it was TV that stopped it though as there was hardly any live TV matches back then.

I think it was the increase in crowd violence more than anything. The authorities didn't want supporters seeking retribution for anything that went off in the first match plus I believe the league were also concerned about any on pitch issues being carried over by the players.

Yes I remember in the mid sixties beating Leeds on the Saturday and losing the reverse fixture a day or two later. I was being a bit facetious regarding TV.

It does affect players. We played saturday travelled sunday played monday. No time for proper rest and relaxation. Where as Norwich played away friday afternoon, travelled home friday evening, rested saturday and sunday played monday. 2 days rest makes a big difference although its a small matter