Singing section

Guest swintonowl1999

I agree with the first half of your post but disagree with the second half.

I agree that you can't force people to move so the OP's post about everyone buying tickets in the block next to tangos is stupid. If a singing/standing section was to happen it'd have to be organised by the club.

Singing and atmopshere will return when we play good football, I agree with that.

But atmosphere isn't exclusive to teams who are playing good football/doing well.

It can be done, even when teams are playing badly.

That's why a singing section is being requested, so those who want to sing and create an atmosphere...even if we're playing poo poo...can do so in one space.

And then when we are playing well, atmosphere will take a step up. But the singing section will mean that there will always be something happening....they'll always be singing. And it will be visible and audible if it's at the bottom corner of the Kop.

Also, we were in play off position for the majority of the league one season. The atmosphere was only really good for the derbies, the final moments of the carlisle game and the Wycombe game. 

The people asking for a singing section are asking to take part and contribute to an electric atmosphere for 90 minutes. Flags, banners, constant singing. 

It's not that atmosphere would be exclusive to the singing section. It's where the source of the atmosphere would come from. It's been constantly flat at Hillsborough this season. Even when we've played well, even after we've scored....it's been flat. We have two sections of vocal supporters, top corner of the Kop and top corner of the North Stand. 

I am baffled that anyone would be against this. Of course, entertaining football would help matters. But atmosphere is not exclusive to entertaining football. It just requires a bit of patience, organisation and cooperation from the club and fans. 

firstly i welcome your reasoned comments, quality change from the "we need to force people to do this" brigade...

it's not unknown for a singing section to be (up on high perhaps) behind the goal, how do you vacate sufficient seats to allow this to take place without forcefully removing law abiding paying customers, and why would the club want to rattle them?

what if mr. bloggs and his 2 daughters want to stay in their seats, and complain about the 'cussing, swearing, and foul abuse that will emit from that area, let alone a smoke bomb or 2 is let off?

mother nature takes care of the planet, unless mankind f**ks with it, it's called natural selection...

the kop will live or die, or DEVELOP into whatever it will be, at present it being the cheapest seats in the house doesn't help those who wish it to become a strongly partisan supporters section... 

there is however a (perhaps more partisan) section in the n/w, what will this new kop have to offer these supporters to lure them back, that can replace the banter they have with opposition support?

better attacking players, and a more aggressive approach will lead to more positive vocals at s6, and under such circumstances the negative atmosphere should fade away, but at hillsborough it WILL always be an underlying trend in waiting, as this club has been in general decline for 50 years now, and banning some tw@t with a trumpet, or wallpapering the the bog walls on the kop won't alter that...

to fire the home crowd we need to ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK...

but is gray the general to lead those attacks, or is he gray by name, and by nature...

i think in the handful of home games left, a full on attacking policy should be adopted to point the way for next season's intent, and assist in sales of season tickets, whilst showing if gray has the mettle for the job...

don howe was an outstanding defensive coach, but an appalling manager...

firstly i welcome your reasoned comments, quality change from the "we need to force people to do this" brigade...

it's not unknown for a singing section to be (up on high perhaps) behind the goal, how do you vacate sufficient seats to allow this to take place without forcefully removing law abiding paying customers, and why would the club want to rattle them?

what if mr. bloggs and his 2 daughters want to stay in their seats, and complain about the 'cussing, swearing, and foul abuse that will emit from that area, let alone a smoke bomb or 2 is let off?

mother nature takes care of the planet, unless mankind f**ks with it, it's called natural selection...

the kop will live or die, or DEVELOP into whatever it will be, at present it being the cheapest seats in the house doesn't help those who wish it to become a strongly partisan supporters section... 

there is however a (perhaps more partisan) section in the n/w, what will this new kop have to offer these supporters to lure them back, that can replace the banter they have with opposition support?

better attacking players, and a more aggressive approach will lead to more positive vocals at s6, and under such circumstances the negative atmosphere should fade away, but at hillsborough it WILL always be an underlying trend in waiting, as this club has been in general decline for 50 years now, and banning some tw@t with a trumpet, or wallpapering the the bog walls on the kop won't alter that...

to fire the home crowd we need to ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK...

but is gray the general to lead those attacks, or is he gray by name, and by nature...

i think in the handful of home games left, a full on attacking policy should be adopted to point the way for next season's intent, and assist in sales of season tickets, whilst showing if gray has the mettle for the job...

don howe was an outstanding defensive coach, but an appalling manager...

Like I said, people are going to have to cooperate for the greater good of this club.

Season ticket holders in the Grandstand have already been sent letters requesting that they relocate in order for the club to be able to develop their corporate facilities.  The club could do the same thing for the singing section, only in this case the club wouldn't be requesting that they move...they'd be explaining that the block will be turned into an all standing/singing block and that they are welcome to be a part of that. But the letter would have to highlight what they are agreeing to be a part of. If people don't want to be a part of that then the club can do the same as what they have done for those in the grandstand, offer alternative seating and assist in anyway possible to find their 'perfect seat'.

Of course attacking football helps, but that's not what I'm on about. There is a large section of our support that wants to create a cracking atmosphere regardless but we can't do it on our own, the club needs to help. A constant positive atmosphere can only be a good thing, because if there's a constant source of singing...the atmosphere can only improve and get louder if the team starts playing well.

It's a very small piece of a massive puzzle. But I feel very strongly that we all have our part to play to get us back to the promised land. Obviously the big piece of the puzzle is the 11 players on the pitch, and it hasn't been good enough this season at Hillsborough. Please understand that I'm not a 'happy clapper', I can say hand on heart that I've only enjoyed two games at home this season, three if you count Notts County in the cup. I'm definitely not a happy clapper but I do save my moaning and slagging players off for after the game, on the way home & on here. I think it's counter productive to boo/moan or shout at the players during the game. I would much rather just sing and encourage, at least it's a bit of a laugh that way. 

Develop a singing section at the bottom of the Kop and I can only see a positive outcome. Fans would come flooding back, more money for the club, the players would feel more motivated/geed up. Attacking/exciting football is what we are all after, but I do stand by the fact that even if we played well...I still don't feel that we could create a great atmosphere, just an improvement on the silence we're experiencing now.

Like I said, people are going to have to cooperate for the greater good of this club.

Season ticket holders in the Grandstand have already been sent letters requesting that they relocate in order for the club to be able to develop their corporate facilities.  The club could do the same thing for the singing section, only in this case the club wouldn't be requesting that they move...they'd be explaining that the block will be turned into an all standing/singing block and that they are welcome to be a part of that. But the letter would have to highlight what they are agreeing to be a part of. If people don't want to be a part of that then the club can do the same as what they have done for those in the grandstand, offer alternative seating and assist in anyway possible to find their 'perfect seat'.

Of course attacking football helps, but that's not what I'm on about. There is a large section of our support that wants to create a cracking atmosphere regardless but we can't do it on our own, the club needs to help. A constant positive atmosphere can only be a good thing, because if there's a constant source of singing...the atmosphere can only improve and get louder if the team starts playing well.

It's a very small piece of a massive puzzle. But I feel very strongly that we all have our part to play to get us back to the promised land. Obviously the big piece of the puzzle is the 11 players on the pitch, and it hasn't been good enough this season at Hillsborough. Please understand that I'm not a 'happy clapper', I can say hand on heart that I've only enjoyed two games at home this season, three if you count Notts County in the cup. I'm definitely not a happy clapper but I do save my moaning and slagging players off for after the game, on the way home & on here. I think it's counter productive to boo/moan or shout at the players during the game. I would much rather just sing and encourage, at least it's a bit of a laugh that way. 

Develop a singing section at the bottom of the Kop and I can only see a positive outcome. Fans would come flooding back, more money for the club, the players would feel more motivated/geed up. Attacking/exciting football is what we are all after, but I do stand by the fact that even if we played well...I still don't feel that we could create a great atmosphere, just an improvement on the silence we're experiencing now.

part A, it's not for the greater good of the club, the work in the grandstand will attract more capital into the club...

if your plan goes ahead then people will actually relocate from the costlier n/w section to the cheaper kop, thus costing the club financially...

part B, if a LARGE section wanted it on the kop, it would have happened, band or not, IF there was a LARGE section then noise would be heard from them, IT ISN'T, the kops like a rest home...a large section do want to sing, chant, and exchange with opposition support, and they go regularly into a section that's not needed for anything else, by anyone else, and that's the n/w...

part C, i can only see in extremes the need to boo your own players, but shouting encouragement to the team or individuals is (to me) acceptable, but i'll not cheer us on when we're performing badly, and thus anyone who is positive all the time maybe a happyish clapper... 

seriously though, IF the club were mine, i would have looked into making the 12th. man count...

make the eastern end of the north cheaper seating, thus allowing families etc. to relocate from the kop, should they wish to do so...

make the wings and front 10 rows family area's, and leave the central pillar open to more fanatical support...

i would look at making the acoustics better in the kop to force any noise made out into the stadium...

and have some sound deadening material put into the west stand, to subdue their noise...

but i very much doubt the present owner will, he's got a different fish to fry, if you'll pardon the pun...

Guest Grez Bez

People are far too possessive over their seats.

You come to Wednesday, not to sit in the exact same cheap plastic faded blue seat every week

Great posts Flying Owl. The singing section is a must and the Kop is by far the best place for it, I don't know anyone who takes their kids on there because of a lack of swearing. 

Guest Liam Povey

Dnhc lost when he compared people moving seats too mass genocide and who would actually be willing to move and support a campaign for a singing section then if one actually got started rather than just talking about it ?

Yea..Sit in sodding silence...How long until Wednesday stop relying on undyiing loyalty?...

Wednesday fans have been mugs for years..."Don't bother building it...they will come anyhow"

Wycombe game...Silence?...carlisle...Silence?..Wednesday fans haven't been silent for 15 byears...They simply react to what sorta sheeite is on show...

The Atkinson era was all kneejerk happy screaming and shouting..no band,.....no singing section..but guess what?..A f.ookin' decent football team...

Your scenario is once again putting all the responsibility on the supporters....20'000 there Saturday...flipping' why?..season over, going neither up nor down..no reason to actually turn up to be honest..never mind f.ookin' singalongasheeite...

Spot on that Asteener. There are many clubs that are similar to ours for the same reason. Give us something to shout about and the whole ground will rock.

Guest Liam Povey

To be honest not really sure on how  I would phrase a email to the club but I’ll work something out also have you had a reply or anyone else who has emailed them something similar and if you have what did they say ? and I’ve had a look it seems palaces singing section was all fan organised it looks like the club didn’t have much if anything to do with it  

Guest George Smith

I've had a reply and been down to see the club. They said they would set up meetings in April with the ticket office, the band and us.

Guest Liam Povey

nice honestly surprized you have got that out of the club guess you have got the ball rolling with this

Guest Liam Povey

the kops dieing we all know it, it has its moments but do we really want to turn into a club that only has vocal fans next too the away support ?

Guest George Smith

nice honestly surprized you have got that out of the club guess you have got the ball rolling with this

Not sure I have as it's gone very quiet

BUT I'm sure they will stick to their word

Guest George Smith

The whole ground should be the singing section

if all 20k gave it everything every game we would be way better off than we are now

Guest Liam Povey

all depends on how exactly you enjoy watching the match every one has their own preference some will enjoy singing and making ssome noise others won't each too their own preference but least a singing section will get like minded people in one section

The whole ground should be the singing section

if all 20k gave it everything every game we would be way better off than we are now

Agreed, and the Palestinians and Israelis should just learn to get along!

All 20k don't all go for it for various reasons, kids not wanting to swear, older chaps not interested in chanting etc.

But the reason we can't get even 10k in good voice is because there's nowhere in the ground where a chant will start and really stick and therefore spread. A singing section would give a place where a relatively small portion of the support can start something and the rest of the kop and even occasionally the rest of the ground can join in. I'm sure as hell not going to start a song with my whiney southern voice while me and my friend are surrounded by a dozen empty seats- but damn it I'll join in when something gets going... and that'll be the mentality (minus the whiney and/or southern voice part) of the majority of the rest of the supporters on a matchday

A singing section ideally at the front of the kop is almost a necessity for next season, it'll lift everyone. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if the band were part of it, just as long as everyone agreed to work together to... well make it work!

Guest Liam Povey

i don't know about getting the band in the mix and this isn't a anti band thing this isn't what the thread is about but i think they should just  stay were they are already even if a singing section does happen, they said they can't hear what the fans are singing while they play, and i'm know a few others wouldn't like them at the front of the kop or in the middle of the singing section as they would do what they do all ready drown people out and make them not want to bother singing