Sheffield Wednesday 4-4 Manchester Utd.

Guest Iron Hunter

I was on the Kop and it was rugged all day. Got back to the city bus station and the coach I was in got a brick through the window that shattered over some kids. The coach was surrounded by a mob in one of the most intimidating experiences I've had going to the footy.

But the most fearful I've been was at the Lane in the late 70s during a Friendly. I had the smart idea of going with a few friends who were Blunts. As we got in there was a rampage going on. I got isolated and surrounded by Wednesday fans and despite telling them I was an Owls fan they beat me to a pulp.

Really feared for my life as they were kicking me in the head.

What chance some of those barstools  are on Owlstalk today!?

Mindless soccer violence affected all clubs in the 70s.

Hmmm unless you don't consider a pitch invasion with a few thousand mancs fighting 3 or 400 police with horses, dogs and perspex riot shields 'bother' :-)

As i remember they invaded pitch just before half time when we went 3-1 up.

Yep, trying to get IT abandoned 

Was told there was a small group among them Butlab who stood there ground and Manure fans were at em all the way through game but could not move em.As i always say about wednesday fans QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

i think butlab was long gone by then .......he would have been involved in the 5-4 game which was a bit tasty as well

I was there in the west stand above the Man U fans in leppings lane there were quite a few owls fans in there but a group of about 50 ish that were to the right in the corner near the south stand . Out numbered massively my Man U they held there ground for a while then when Man U really charged them they tried to fight back but then tried to leg it over the fence into the south stand via the pitch some got a bit of a pasting . Was not a good sight to watch . The west stand was mainly owls fans as many season ticket holders were there . I still remember there was trouble everywhere but as was said earlier Man U were on the kop and leppings in there thousands as soon as the gates opened so would be impossible to take the kop or leppings lane back because of shear numbers . But give Wednesday fans due at the time they stood their ground as much as they could especially in the kop . Also we were having a crap season again so the attendance was down . I was only young and was very very scary as our supporters bus ( shirebook / clowne / barlbough ) was parked kop side and we had bricks thrown at it

Guest Iron Hunter

I was there in the west stand above the Man U fans in leppings lane there were quite a few owls fans in there but a group of about 50 ish that were to the right in the corner near the south stand . Out numbered massively my Man U they held there ground for a while then when Man U really charged them they tried to fight back but then tried to leg it over the fence into the south stand via the pitch some got a bit of a pasting . Was not a good sight to watch . The west stand was mainly owls fans as many season ticket holders were there . I still remember there was trouble everywhere but as was said earlier Man U were on the kop and leppings in there thousands as soon as the gates opened so would be impossible to take the kop or leppings lane back because of shear numbers . But give Wednesday fans due at the time they stood their ground as much as they could especially in the kop . Also we were having a crap season again so the attendance was down . I was only young and was very very scary as our supporters bus ( shirebook / clowne / barlbough ) was parked kop side and we had bricks thrown at it

Literally sounds like a warzone.Hard to believe.

Literally sounds like a warzone.Hard to believe.

it was nothing really nobody died or got seriously hurt (i think) it was just how it was back then .......you went football in the 60/70s and there was a good chance of trouble. that game goes down in folklore because of the number of man utd fans and the few wednesdayites who stood up to them .........the acid game at the lane (68)&the dismantling of the wall at millmoor are other incidents that stand out from back then ,no doubt others can tell stories from other games .

Our relegation season 69/70. We had Leeds on the Saturday, then Man Utd on the following Wednesday night. Couldn't get 2 more tastier fixtures that close together. We lost both, 1-2 and 1-3, they were very nasty too. Was only 9 and stood in "Tango corner" for both watching the endless stream of those being dragged out by the OB and the sight of regularly seeing the OB hats go flying up in the air when it went off.

There was a holding cage I think under the North stand, where the police would take some of the more serious perpetrators and exact "justice" before launching them out onto Penistone rd

I was in the bottom left hand corner of the kop,there wasn't many of us there. It was as scary as hell, We hardly celebrated at all,it was way too dangerous. There must have been at least 20,000 Man United fans there.It was an absolute nightmare of a day. Several of us had a wee wee on the kop,we daren't move anywhere. My mate got offered out as we walked into the ground and we didn't even have colours on!. I remember some of their fans trying to climb up the fence to get at the Wednesdayites in the South stand. Thought we were in for a hammering when Stewart Houstons free kick opened the scoring but we battled well to fight back and lead 3-1. A real moment of absolute pandemonium when the tiny Eric McMordie broke Jim Holtons leg,the atmosphere was electric,i thought there was going to be a riot. At least one police horse on the kop,never thought i'd see that! When Sunley's header went in at the kop end to make it 4-3,we didn't really know what to do,but we were holding on for dear life and it was only a matter of time before they equalised.Then the walk to get on the special back to town,even more scary moments,they were everywhere.

I was in the Upper West too for that game.  Pretty hairy when Manu fans came to join us - where and how they got there I don't know.

Great game but the memory that lingers was the horses coming on the pitch from the corner between the Kop and the North.  We had gone 3-1 up and the whole place seemed to go crazy.  I thought the Man U supporters were trying to get the game abandoned.

Agree with Glynnb - Upper West was a great place to see the game - remember seeing us whip Chelsea 6-1 from there - John Ritchie hat-trick??

Pretty much the Cup final team that day plus Ritchie- don't remember him scoring three but still a great day -as they all were that year plus the cup final, high in the league, world cup at Hillsborough what could go wrong?

Once read somewhere that after this match where we scored 4 we only managed another 5 for the rest of the season

Sadly true.

Was there that day and as has been pointed out Utd were out in force that day. Attendance was just over 35k (officially) and just over half were Mancs. We arrived at the ground and it was already packed on the Kop. We had no colours on and didn't realise until we were in the ground that we were now effectively in a suburb of Manchester! Went high up on the South Stand side of the Kop and tried to keep quiet but couldn't quite manage it. We were extremely fortunate not to get our heads kicked in. Could see all the pandemonium below us as a group of some 50-100 owls hard cases not only stood their ground but at one point looked like they had ambitions of trying to take the Kop back!

Wasn't the only time that season that the SYP allowed the opposition in strength on the Kop either. Forest had done it earlier on (and taken a right old pasting) and Villa did it at the end of the season when they hammered us 4-0 to go up with Manure. Villa had similar numbers on Kop to Manure but we got a lot more people on there that day and there was a huge mob waiting for them outside after the game. It was events like that that led to the fences going up a couple of seasons later and EVERY club had it's share of nutters. As a better supported club (at least away from home) we had more than most.

I was in the bottom left hand corner of the kop,there wasn't many of us there. It was as scary as hell, We hardly celebrated at all,it was way too dangerous. There must have been at least 20,000 Man United fans there.It was an absolute nightmare of a day. Several of us had a wee wee on the kop,we daren't move anywhere. My mate got offered out as we walked into the ground and we didn't even have colours on!. I remember some of their fans trying to climb up the fence to get at the Wednesdayites in the South stand. Thought we were in for a hammering when Stewart Houstons free kick opened the scoring but we battled well to fight back and lead 3-1. A real moment of absolute pandemonium when the tiny Eric McMordie broke Jim Holtons leg,the atmosphere was electric,i thought there was going to be a riot. At least one police horse on the kop,never thought i'd see that! When Sunley's header went in at the kop end to make it 4-3,we didn't really know what to do,but we were holding on for dear life and it was only a matter of time before they equalised.Then the walk to get on the special back to town,even more scary moments,they were everywhere.

i always thought it was David Sunley in the challenge when Holton broke his leg, fact about McMordie, he signed for Manure on the same day and same time as one George Best

Talking of taking Kops over ---

Jan 1st 1974 went by "special train" to Blackpoo with a load of lads from our local. We were very early and were the first through the turnstiles and ensconced ourselves on the kop at the front  right behind the goal . There must have been 500+ of us by KO but there fans had come in behind us and plenty of banter was flying, and lots of "scrimmaging".

During the match one of our lads stood on the  barrier to "conduct " our singing and baiting of Blackpoo fans behind us. He was giving it rice when all of a sudden  he was hit flush in the face with a small egg custard chucked from there fans :biggrin: .  It was made all the more funny when he said " just my bl**din luck for them ter have world egg custard throwin champ wi em". Some one said it wer a good job it wernt a pork pie :laugh: .

True to type we drew 0-0-- god were sh88e that season :sad:

Sadly true.

Was there that day and as has been pointed out Utd were out in force that day. Attendance was just over 35k (officially) and just over half were Mancs. We arrived at the ground and it was already packed on the Kop. We had no colours on and didn't realise until we were in the ground that we were now effectively in a suburb of Manchester! Went high up on the South Stand side of the Kop and tried to keep quiet but couldn't quite manage it. We were extremely fortunate not to get our heads kicked in. Could see all the pandemonium below us as a group of some 50-100 owls hard cases not only stood their ground but at one point looked like they had ambitions of trying to take the Kop back!

Wasn't the only time that season that the SYP allowed the opposition in strength on the Kop either. Forest had done it earlier on (and taken a right old pasting) and Villa did it at the end of the season when they hammered us 4-0 to go up with Manure. Villa had similar numbers on Kop to Manure but we got a lot more people on there that day and there was a huge mob waiting for them outside after the game. It was events like that that led to the fences going up a couple of seasons later and EVERY club had it's share of nutters. As a better supported club (at least away from home) we had more than most.

Mancs? Don't ya mean Cockneys?

Funny thing was though that Man U fans were not thought of as that hard by standards of the day.  Just a hell of a lot of them.  For example I remember just a handful of Newcastle fans coming on the kop once and creating havoc.  They were real hard lot compared to Man U.  But as others have said, pretty much every game in those days saw fighting that would be headline news now.

Jan 1st 1974 went by "special train" to Blackpoo with a load of lads from our local. We were very early and were the first through the turnstiles and ensconced ourselves on the kop at the front  right behind the goal . There must have been 500+ of us by KO but there fans had come in behind us and plenty of banter was flying, and lots of "scrimmaging".

During the match one of our lads stood on the  barrier to "conduct " our singing and baiting of Blackpoo fans behind us. He was giving it rice when all of a sudden  he was hit flush in the face with a small egg custard chucked from there fans :biggrin: .  It was made all the more funny when he said " just my bl**din luck for them ter have world egg custard throwin champ wi em". Some one said it wer a good job it wernt a pork pie :laugh: .

Reminds of that story from around the same time when Tommo was leading Wednesday fans in a ruckus and suddenly shouted "run lads they're throwing acid!" only to discover he'd been hit in the back of the neck by a hot S&K pie and the hot filling was running down his neck!

Edited by Utah Owl

it was usually humbugs and such, chucked over the dividing fence there