Sheffield Wednesday 4-4 Manchester Utd.

Guest Iron Hunter

Guest Iron Hunter

Always hearing or reading about this famous match in the 70s.Even read a Man U book called "The General" which dedicates a section to it.Far too young to remember it but would like to hear from older Owls fans about the match and if the violence was as bad as described in the aforementioned book.The guy who wrote the book quoted that Wednesday were too scared to cheer when they went 3 or 4-1 up, cant quite remember.Could have been summat about 1500 Wednesdayites being in Leppings Lane end aswell but again, not sure.

Stood bang in the middle of the Kop, and watched all of the game without being overly worried about aggro. We had far worse fans visiting Hillsborough than Man Utd supporters, and trouble was the norm at games during the 70's. Not sure what the OP means when he says we were too frightened to cheer when we went 3 or 4 - 1 up. As I remember we were actually losing 4-2 just before half time, and were never 3 or 4 - 1 up during that game.

Guest Iron Hunter

Stood bang in the middle of the Kop, and watched all of the game without being overly worried about aggro. We had far worse fans visiting Hillsborough than Man Utd supporters, and trouble was the norm at games during the 70's. Not sure what the OP means when he says we were too frightened to cheer when we went 3 or 4 - 1 up. As I remember we were actually losing 4-2 just before half time, and were never 3 or 4 - 1 up during that game.

I may have wrong game mate but it was definately against Man Utd in the 70s and the guy who wrote "The General" said we were too frightened to cheer.It may be bulls**t, just going on what I remember reading.

we were 3-1 up then 4-3 up

The only time I was ever afraid to cheer, as a Wednesday fan was when we played at Elland Road in a night match in about 1983, and I had the bright idea of sitting in the home stand, because if we were with the Wednesday fans, the Leeds fans would know who we were. It was fine, until we went in front, and could no longer sit on our hands.

The stewards opened the gates between the end, and the stand we were in, and scores of black lads wearing deer stalkers (which were hoolie fashion at the time) started heading towards us. We ran like f*** and were climbing over people in the family stand, in our efforts to get away.

Been on eighty odd grounds watching Wednesday, and that night is the only time I've ever been afraid, no terrified, to cheer for my team.

They took 3 sides of the ground. I was in the North and there were fights breaking out everywhere around us.

There were pockets of our fans on the Kop and the Lep battling away with them throughout the game.

Think it broke the record for arrests at one game and horses had to come into the ground.

We were pretty crap then and they were just visiting the second division and romping away but I was still embarrased at how easily they had took the ground.

People forget how Man Utd were the worst for causing trouble then due to their massive travelling numbers.

Oh, and it was a great game..........

I jumped on a football special up near the Odeon cinema & even that was full of their fans, I wore colours back then & as I sat down one of theirs looked at me & said "don't go on the Kop or we'll beat you to pulp"...it was an awkward bus ride but I went on the Kop anyway, I didn't see a recognised group of Owls for about twenty minutes but there WAS plenty of us still on there, there was fights breaking out everywhere....they turned up so early in massive numbers, Wednesday fans I don't think expected that & so were fragmented all over the ground....I'd never & haven't since seen anything like it, nearest after that was when Villa came on the Kop, they came early too...there was nothing you could do to stop being taken over by the Mancs back then, they just travelled with immense numbers.

I'd choose to argue with owler 66. We were losing 4 -2, unless my memory really is rubbish. I will dig deeper

your memory is really rubbish, we were never 4-2 down, and in reply to other posts, we were never afraid to cheer, the only real bother, apart from scuffles, was in the bottom corner of the kop, south stand side

Guest JohnFantham

I was there that day but remember nothing about it but that vid jogged my fading memory a wee bit.I remember the 5-4 game better. I've only been scared at one match and that was at Anfield when we won 2-0, as I was crushed against a pillar and could hardly breathe.The coach got stoned as well after.

Hmmm unless you don't consider a pitch invasion with a few thousand mancs fighting 3 or 400 police with horses, dogs and perspex riot shields 'bother' :-)

As i remember they invaded pitch just before half time when we went 3-1 up.

400 police with horses? you sure you wasn't at the alamo?

Ah maybe you're right. Time does tend to distort things. The video seems to show about 8 or 10, I'm sure I remember droves of them. My dad took me in North that day cus he said there'd be trouble on kop. We had red n white scarves round us in North too. Certainly didn't stop anyone cheering our goals though.

The only time I've felt threatened was on kop at Anfield for milk cup semi. Lucky I had a parka covering me Wednesday shirt up.

I was there that day but remember nothing about it but that vid jogged my fading memory a wee bit.I remember the 5-4 game better. I've only been scared at one match and that was at Anfield when we won 2-0, as I was crushed against a pillar and could hardly breathe.The coach got stoned as well after.

What ?..Tony Toms. Remember the two games against United well was in the upper west for both. Still think that stand takes some beating for watching the game, just needs knocking down and re-building.

Edited by glynnb