The Jinx: The life and deaths of Robert Durst

DeeJayOne

On 06/01/2017 at 05:28, Grimbarian said:

I'd recommend Death on the Staircase Kate if it's whetted your appetite for more of the same:

Finished it all in two viewings. Fascinating, the trial was just mesmerising. Better than Jinx I thought, although the main suspect wasn't as charismatic.

Feel I need to talk about it a bit, so don't read this if you've not seen it yet. 

More than anything, I really felt for the two young daughters. Biological mum and adoptive mum both die in terrible and shocking similar circumstances, then he goes down for murder. Awful for them both. 

Hard to say whether I think he did it or not, kept changing my mind and I still do now after just finishing watching the documentary... so many things to keep you guessing. And I suppose only one living person really knows what happened that night. 

Noticed that a retrial is starting in May this year, and the bald headed blood splatter analyst has been fired for misleading evidence in this trial and 33 other cases, including one where a man spent 17 years in prison off the back of his testimony.

Got to take these documentaries with a pinch of salt sometimes as well, a quick google search brings up a lot of other evidence from the trial that wasn't mentioned in the TV show as far as I saw.

Also been reading the equally fascinating and difficult to believe "owl theory".

One thing is for sure, real life truly can be stranger than fiction.  

5 hours ago, Grimbarian said:

Glad you enjoyed it, definitely agree it's better than The Jinx overally, MaM is probably still number 1, Paradise Lost documentaries are up there as well they're extremely fascinating, have you seen those?

No. Are they streaming anywhere? 

Got Netflix, Amazon and Sky. 

40 minutes ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

No. Are they streaming anywhere? 

Got Netflix, Amazon and Sky. 

They weren't when I watched them, I can put them on google drive?

32 minutes ago, Russy said:

Where can you watch The Staircase?

Original links from my thread still work for Youtube:

The final episode is in poor quality online but I have a better quality version on google drive.

29 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

They weren't when I watched them, I can put them on google drive?

Original links from my thread still work for Youtube:

The final episode is in poor quality online but I have a better quality version on google drive.

At the risk of sounding like a plonker, how would I watch them? 

Just on a PC, or is there a way to get them on the telly?

24 minutes ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

At the risk of sounding like a plonker, how would I watch them? 

Just on a PC, or is there a way to get them on the telly?

There's always a way ;) How do you normally watch stuff on your TV? Set top box of some design? Is your TV a smart TV (ie can you put a flashdrive in the back of it?), do you have a laptop with HDMI out? Chromecast?

Loads of ways to do it just depends what bits of tech you have on hand :) We have an android based mediaplayer hooked up to our AV receiver which plays the tv shows/movies to our projector, it's on the home network so I can copy stuff to it, also have an Amazon Fire TV for Netflix/Amazon Prime. Don't have a TV so I don't have to pay the Swedish TV license :)

Edited by Grimbarian

Finished The Staircase last night.

Excellent documentary series, but just like Making a Murderer is extremely one-sided due to being from that point of view.

The thing that makes it so great is the access they had, probably much more interesting than the other series because the film people are even more integrated into the close family as even Making a Murderer and such.

Not quite as good as The Jinx, for me, but a quality recommendation and a must-watch series nonetheless (I can't believe it passed me by originally), thanks @Grimbarian.

Not watched The Staircase 2: Last Chance yet, couldn't find a decent quality version of it in a quick look last night.

On 09/01/2017 at 13:51, Grimbarian said:

There's always a way ;) How do you normally watch stuff on your TV? Set top box of some design? Is your TV a smart TV (ie can you put a flashdrive in the back of it?), do you have a laptop with HDMI out? Chromecast?

Loads of ways to do it just depends what bits of tech you have on hand :) We have an android based mediaplayer hooked up to our AV receiver which plays the tv shows/movies to our projector, it's on the home network so I can copy stuff to it, also have an Amazon Fire TV for Netflix/Amazon Prime. Don't have a TV so I don't have to pay the Swedish TV license :)

Can I have the link please mate?

It's a weird one, if you didn't have the last 20 seconds of it spoiled then it's a great documentary and easily 8/10, if you did have it spoiled (as I did) it renders it a bit meh and I'd give it 4/10 and say that it lags far behind the True Crime behemoths of The Staircase (my all time favourite) and Making a Murderer amongst others.