The Jinx: The life and deaths of Robert Durst

DeeJayOne

Anyone seen this?

Currently available on-demand on Sky (Sky Atlantic) for anyone who hasn't.

Fascinating six-part documentary about New York real estate heir Robert Durst whose wife disappeared, best friend was murdered and neighbour was killed with him admitting to dismembering and dumping the body.

Goes through lots of ridiculous things, such as his running away and dressing up as a mute woman to hide his identity, his getting arrested for shoplifting a $6 sandwich whilst on the run after jumping bail - even though he had hundreds of dollars on him; and him getting away with murder at trial despite admitting to being there, cutting up the body and dumping it.

Then of course there is the part that caught the media's attention recently where he seemingly admits to the murders whilst talking to himself in the toilet whilst still wearing his mic, which is still on and recording (and which has partly led to his re-arrest).

Brilliant documentary, made by a feature film director so the production values even feel much better than most TV documentaries. Well worth a watch.

Not seen the documentary but  the story is getting a lot of air time over here. When he was arrested he had false ID, had booked a hotel room under false name and sent him self ( under false name) a package containing over $100,000. Presumably that was to tide him over until he could spirit his millions away.

Hope he rots in jail.

Very, very clever guy. Chilling to watch the interviews with him.

Strange though that he asked for this documentary to be made, considering it seems very likely he is guilty of the crimes. Why not just steer clear of all the subjects, especially when you have seemingly got away with everything for so long. Must be very sociopathic or something.

I'd recommend the documentary, its a great watch and covers the whole lifetime of the disappearances/murders across the series. The last 15 minutes of episode 5, leading to the big reveal in episode 6, is just amazing. Very cinematic and a cracking narrative which seems to have organically come about itself.

Been watching this, just finished episode 5.

Saw this thread and thought I'd have a skim read make sure I don't see any spoilers...

and you reveal all in the OP!

Cheers for that.  :rolleyes:

Lesson learned never open a thread 'til you're up to date.

WTF:

Sorry mate.

Its not as if it is a drama series though - its a fact-based documentary and absolutely everything has been documented over the years, including the latest stuff in episode 6 (which has been all over the news the last few weeks so if you've missed it you must be on another planet!).

Plus, it has aired fully everywhere, so spoilers really don't count in this one, for me. :)

Aye I know it's real news not a drama but I've never heard of the bloke TBH!

I don't make much effort to keep up to date with current events though. The news is largely depressing and/or sensationalist headline grabbing crap.

Good series though, I'll be reading up on Durst once I've finished this.

Get the impression so far that he wants people to know he did it, loves the infamy. The things he says to when the mike's attached aren't accidental IMO, he's not dumb.

Not seen the last ep yet so be interesting to see what he says (on the toilet) and how he says it.

In ep 5 when he says that the police couldn't place him in LA and  the interviewer says "they did place you in California", did you notice his sly smile when he said, "California's a big state" then he quickly covered his mouth as if to hide it, like his mask had briefly slipped for a second.

The last episode simply builds on the last 15 minutes of episode 5. I'll not spoil it for you though. :D

I know what you mean about him liking the attention. I genuinely don't understand why he instigated the documentary himself. Best to shut the hell up and quit whilst you're ahead, surely?! He absolutely has to be some kind of narcissist or sociopath or something in my opinion. It is like he is playing a game of 'you can't catch me' for fun. He's like one of those calculating comic book villains who try to rub in that they are cleverer than the hero right up until the point the hero nails them.

Oh, and try not to laugh at the grunting toilet noises he makes whilst doing the now infamous 'confession'. :)

Very, very clever guy. Chilling to watch the interviews with him.

Strange though that he asked for this documentary to be made, considering it seems very likely he is guilty of the crimes. Why not just steer clear of all the subjects, especially when you have seemingly got away with everything for so long. Must be very sociopathic or something.

I'd recommend the documentary, its a great watch and covers the whole lifetime of the disappearances/murders across the series. The last 15 minutes of episode 5, leading to the big reveal in episode 6, is just amazing. Very cinematic and a cracking narrative which seems to have organically come about itself.

I have a theory on this (which is in all likelihood horseshit), I think he has narcissistic personality disorder, I think he's so completely obsessed with proving he's so much cleverer than everyone else that he's deliberately contriving situations to 'prove' his superior intelligence, almost goading the law into pursuing him. 

I think it started with committing the crimes and 'getting away with it', then he gets himself arrested, posts bail and jumps bail. Then after a period of successfully living on the run he contrives to be caught, because he's proven he can evade capture until he wants to and finally with the confession, is to prove not only can he do all this, but he can even admit and still get away with it, such is his superior intellect. 

I think the reason for the documentary is two fold, primarily to satisfy his narcissistic craving for everyone to know how clever he is and secondly as a contingency for when he has to go to trial again, this documentary gives him sufficient leverage to argue his inability to get a fair trial (which is why I believe he 'admitted it' on camera)

Edited by Otto_Man