1907 Wednesday OXO Trip to FA Cup Final

Dunsby, you might be able to answer this, as you know we were called 'The Wednesday' until we dropped the name in the late 20s early 30s can't remember the exact date btw, but in adverts much earlier (like the one in 1907 above) I've seen us being referred to as 'Sheffield Wednesday', so my question is was The Wednesday just our nickname or our official one, if so why was Sheffield used at times back then?

Dunsby, you might be able to answer this, as you know we were called 'The Wednesday' until we dropped the name in the late 20s early 30s can't remember the exact date btw, but in adverts much earlier (like the one in 1907 above) I've seen us being referred to as 'Sheffield Wednesday', so my question is was The Wednesday just our nickname or our official one, if so why was Sheffield used at times back then?

As been said many times Mark the club were founded as the football arm of the cricket Club and as you can see from this cutting a couple of days later it was from it's inception referred to as the Sheffield Wednesday Cricket & Football Club.

1867twitter_zps3765425a.jpg

There a various things around such as the team sheet from the 1st match at Olive Grove in 1887with the Club referred to as "The Wednesday" whilst you will have seen the photo of Olive Grove with "Sheffield Wednesday" painted on the stand roof

OGrove_zps875a55a0.jpg

The club became a limited liability company to finance the move to Owlerton and became "The Wednesday Football Club Limited"

In 1929 the name of the company was changed to "Sheffield Wednesday Football Club Limited"

171929_zps48202cd7.jpg

Contrary to popular myth we werne't the only Wednesday football club - (I made a list a while ago) but safe to say were were the first and most famous !

So the answer is both!

Back in 1907 after Wednesday had beaten Arsenal to reach the FA Cup Final on the 25th & 26th March film of the match was shown at various cinema's around Sheffield and  it seems to have been a bit of a novelty that the cameras actually caught a couple of the goals.

Now that's a film I'd like to see.

25-3-1907_zpszwsbqkst.jpg

1907%2026-3-1907_zpsmdlhulpa.jpg

Really enjoy these history threads!

Its says the semi final took place at Birmingham, would these be Villa Park?

Also at the time did many people from Sheffield go to the semi final or the final at Crystal Palace? I can imagine going to London for ordinary people at the time would have been really expensive. (Probably no more expensive then now come to think of it!)