Cast your mind back

Hi,

trying to make a record of strange games I've been to. One I can't remember details for was a game I went to in the early 70's. It was on a very snowy day and the game was called off about 15 minutes from the end. I can remember taking hours to get back to Darnall, the bus unable to get up Herries Rd. What I need is the approx date, attendance, and the score when called off. I was in the South Stand and can remember the brave souls on the Kop and lined up at the back of the Leppings Lane end. Really don't recoolect any away fans.

Yes it was Bristol City at home. 0-0 when it was called. It was the first (peace time) game at Hillsborough at the time to have been abandoned. The 14th March 1973 game was the re-arrangement. The following year when we played Bristol City was the first home game ever on a Sunday. 

That Sunday game with Bristol City threw up am interesting quirk - the club wasn't allowed to charge a fee for entering the ground on a Sunday for some reason, so they created a tiny team sheet which you paid for, which funnily enough also allowed you free access to the ground.

Kivo

I remember going to matches rearranged during/after the 1962/63 big freeze that were held on Sundays and yes - clubs were not allowed to charge normal admission but entry to the ground was via buying a 'team sheet'.

I was at that one, My old man never bought anything from the Kiosks, but that day he bought a bag of Foxes fruits! Sat in the south stand near the back of the lower section, could smell the winter green from the dressing rooms. We wasn't best pleased when it was abandoned, I was about 8 then I guess. 

I was on the Kop that day, it was like being in a blizzard, then I had to walk up to the top of Walkley to the house of my girlfriend at that time. I had my sheepskin coat on and it dried as hard a rock

I was on the Kop that day, it was like being in a blizzard, then I had to walk up to the top of Walkley to the house of my girlfriend at that time. I had my sheepskin coat on and it dried as hard a rock

It wasn't like being in a blizzard, you was in a blizzard.  :biggrin:

Sat at front of bus that got stuck in snow I can remember a gang of lads sat at back cracking jokes for ages, I was about 10 at time and couldn't stop giggling. 

These lads were always on number 2 football special to/from Darnall, they always got on/off outside Horse Shoe.

Edited by bradowl

You sure? I thought first Sunday game at Hillsborough was the one vs Bristol C in 72'?

Sorry didn't make it clear. When Wednesday weren't playing I used to get on my Triumph Tiger Cub and go to other local(ish) matches. The one I remember as being entry by Team Sheet was at Barnsley.